Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
shinhed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
shinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Question WTF: Transmission Inspection/Rear Plate Cover???

Does anyone know if the "rear plate" between the engine and trans on a 5 speed model is necessary? If so, what does it do? Is there one already on my automatic engine/tranny setup that I can use?
shinhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
i need tires
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
i need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to i need tires
i think its a dust cover to keep shit out of your transmission.. yes keep it
i need tires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
shinhed
Zilvia Addict

shinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of light
I don't have one. I will do a 5-speed swap soon and was curious of it's importance.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
garagelu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (60)
garagelu is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 60 reviews
That inspection plate is there so you can remove it and see how much clutch material you have left. Or to see if there is anything wrong with the whole clutch. I wouldnt leave it out because a lot of dust and especially water could get in there and mess the clutch up.
garagelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
shinhed
Zilvia Addict

Cool.

Well regardless if I can reuse my auto's dust shield/rear plate/inspection cover, I went ahead and ordered the 5-speed piece.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
super240sx7185
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (83)
super240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 83 reviews
Yes you need and once it's on u cant move it or see past it to check clutch, It's just for protecting the clutch assembly from foreign objects.
super240sx7185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
IRN
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
IRN is just really niceIRN is just really niceIRN is just really niceIRN is just really niceIRN is just really niceIRN is just really niceIRN is just really niceIRN is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The dust shield off the auto wont fit.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:18 AM   #8
zaneithan
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
zaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
i believe it also effects the starter as well, without the plate in between the tranny and motor the starter overextends (dont ask me how it just does) and will not make contact with the flywheel so its a good thing you ordered one

1993 240sx fastback (wrecked)
1991 240sx SE fastback Daily Driver status
1992 240sx fastback (???)
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 Coupe (sold)
zaneithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:19 PM   #9
boogerlovers
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (8)
boogerlovers has a reputation beyond reputeboogerlovers has a reputation beyond reputeboogerlovers has a reputation beyond reputeboogerlovers has a reputation beyond reputeboogerlovers has a reputation beyond reputeboogerlovers has a reputation beyond reputeboogerlovers has a reputation beyond reputeboogerlovers has a reputation beyond reputeboogerlovers has a reputation beyond reputeboogerlovers has a reputation beyond reputeboogerlovers has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaneithan View Post
i believe it also effects the starter as well, without the plate in between the tranny and motor the starter overextends (dont ask me how it just does) and will not make contact with the flywheel so its a good thing you ordered one
yeah i remember reading a thread where some guys car wouldnt start cuz he forgot that plate...or am i lying...????
Old 02-14-2008, 06:36 AM   #10
zaneithan
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
zaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to beholdzaneithan is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerlovers View Post
yeah i remember reading a thread where some guys car wouldnt start cuz he forgot that plate...or am i lying...????
yea i read the same thread and thats where my information here came from

1993 240sx fastback (wrecked)
1991 240sx SE fastback Daily Driver status
1992 240sx fastback (???)
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 Coupe (sold)
zaneithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:34 PM   #11
xsparc
Zilvia Junkie

xsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to xsparc Send a message via Yahoo to xsparc
i wish it was a 2 piece or something

stupid cover/spacer
xsparc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:11 PM   #12
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsparc View Post
i wish it was a 2 piece or something

stupid cover/spacer
Cut it in half, sideways. As long as there's a bolt sandwiching either half it won't go anywhere. I do that on all the cars I work on.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #13
super240sx7185
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (83)
super240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 83 reviews
Actually it works without it because my car was missing it when i got it, but u need it because mine had bunches dirt and grime in it that could prematurely wear you clutch, tob or pressure plate.
super240sx7185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:30 AM   #14
thatdrifterguy
Zilvia Junkie

thatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to behold
i ran without it. didnt notice anything for months. maybe just a little dirty. but i decided to change my clutch for the hell of it and i put the auto's bottom part on.
thatdrifterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #15
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
I have heard of people running without it.

Its one of those things were you are rolling the dice though. And for no reason. It doesn't really do anything positive and the risk of foriegn objects getting in is a risky deal.

If you were building a track only car, then forget it. But for street and occational track, keep it.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #16
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have one if you need it.
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote