Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-12-2021, 02:59 PM   #31
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mana View Post
The part of the engine bay of the battery tray has a hole. should i learn to weld or have someone payed to do so? (if i can find one lol)
How big a hole? Post a picture.

It's not a "structural" area. Clean up the rust and seal it so it won't rust anymore. Depending on the size, you might just want to let it go.

Learning to weld is great. But that's a journey that requires up front investment and time. You also don't want to practice on you actual car, especially on thin sheet metal.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2021, 03:14 PM   #32
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Hello! I'm new to the 240sx community and want to fix one myself!

I have a 240sx s13 hatchback with 52k miles, bone-stock (I believe) that I had wanted to start restoring. Problem is, I have no experience in restoring cars or an understanding of ANY components in a car. My main goal is to daily the car itself, keeping it mostly stock.

My main question is by the FIRST looks of this car, is it even worth restoring?
I can take more pictures if needed. I rather do that than waste money for full diagnostics. (The car has been left under a cover for 10-20 years?)

Here is what I would do if I was inexperienced, had a limited budget and owned that car.

Full - Top to Bottom Detail.
The interior is dirty, there is mold grown, the engine bay is dirty. Scrub that puppy top to bottom.

ChrisFixIt on Youtube has lots of great videos on how to do these simple tasks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRSoRkM8GcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGnf8G8A8qU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pctzq_pT2MU

Replace Oil, Coolant and Fuel
Drain and Replace the Oil, change oil filter. Check Coolant - likely need to drain that as well and replace the Radiator Hoses and Thermostat while your at it. New Spark Plugs, make sure to gap them correctly.

Get an electric Harbor Freight Pump and pump out all that old gas. Get fresh gas in there, add some SeaFoam for good measure. Replace the fuel filter.

For Filters and Hoses, etc - order off RockAuto

https://www.rockauto.com/

Find a promo code and put it in the "how did you hear about us" to get 5% off.

Does the Car Run?
Look into why it's not running. Does it crank? Check the plug wires for spark. Does it have fuel? Is everything hooked up? Etc.

It Runs!

Now that it runs, next would be getting caught up. Replace those tires - Tire-Easy, Simple Tire and OnlineTires will have cheap replacements for like $40/ea shipped to you or your installer. Expect to pay $20/ea to install.

Get some brake pads and rotors off rockauto - for OEM replacement I recommend Centric or Bosch.

Car is 30 years old and you are a novice. Without experienced help, I'd recommend having a shop replace your brake fluid. Super easy for them and it will be like $90. No need to worry about getting air bubbles in your lines and crashing.

After that, I'd be looking at getting caught up on all the maintenance. Engine Belts, Waterpump, Trans Fluid, Diff Fluid.

That's all a few months of work and likely a $1,000 in parts and materials. Get that done and we can talk about next steps for upgrading.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:14 PM   #33
mana

Trader Rating: (0)
mana is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
How big a hole? Post a picture.

It's not a "structural" area. Clean up the rust and seal it so it won't rust anymore. Depending on the size, you might just want to let it go.

Learning to weld is great. But that's a journey that requires up front investment and time. You also don't want to practice on you actual car, especially on thin sheet metal.
I was able to remove what was left of the tray and there's a Lil bit left that I need to deal with.
https://imgur.com/a/FurDSvy

And i also want to ask if this part is the apart of the tray or its part of the bay? (circled red)
https://imgur.com/gallery/EQYWcY0
mana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:08 PM   #34
mana

I hope i can get this done by the end of the month D:

Last edited by mana; 08-12-2021 at 08:41 PM..
Old 08-12-2021, 11:25 PM   #35
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
T25 isn't going to make 260whp. Period.

Stock 370cc injectors are not going to cut it.

Cams make the engine actually snappy.
i never said i had a T25, or stock injectors.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 11:57 PM   #36
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
i never said i had a T25, or stock injectors.
I knowwwwww. I got your text.

I was responding to the guy that claimed I'm dumb cause I said a stock SR won't do 260whp.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:09 AM   #37
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
I was able to remove what was left of the tray and there's a Lil bit left that I need to deal with.
https://imgur.com/a/FurDSvy

And i also want to ask if this part is the apart of the tray or its part of the bay? (circled red)
https://imgur.com/gallery/EQYWcY0
Wire Brush or Wire Wheel + Drill/Angle Grider to get the heavy stuff.

Sand then use the Permatex Rust Disovling Gel. See what u have left after that.

Zink Primer and top coat. Look at it, may want to just use rustolium hammer coat brush on. Black drys a Grey color and is very durable.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:48 AM   #38
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
I knowwwwww. I got your text.

I was responding to the guy that claimed I'm dumb cause I said a stock SR won't do 260whp.
and i was just making it clear for anyone else who was outside our conversation lol

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:39 AM   #39
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
The Haze dudes are local to me and run at the same events I do. Matt runs a shop HDT automotive that specializes in KA's as he's basically the mastermind behind all of their engines. I'm sure they'd set anyone straight that reaches out to them.

As an aside, thinking SR's sound terrible removes all credibility from any argument.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:03 AM   #40
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
The Haze dudes are local to me and run at the same events I do. Matt runs a shop HDT automotive that specializes in KA's as he's basically the mastermind behind all of their engines. I'm sure they'd set anyone straight that reaches out to them.
Good to know. Got a Facebook Link or Website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
As an aside, thinking SR's sound terrible removes all credibility from any argument.
Get the wax cleaned out of your ears. #RBMASTERRACE
Old 08-15-2021, 08:26 AM   #41
MaD1337M3DRiV3r
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
MaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond reputeMaD1337M3DRiV3r has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Start with a paint job - It adds value and motivation
vLSD or a 1.5way LSD with good tires - Makes sure you don’t crash
Suspension and brakes with a good corner balance alignment .

skip doing an exhaust so you can hear the problems. Daily the car until it’s reliable, then hit back roads and track. You’ll figure it out from there.
MaD1337M3DRiV3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #42
gsond

gsond is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I hope i can get this done by the end of the month D:
How quickly you get it going depends on how much time you can put into it. It could be cleaned up and running by the end of the month if you dedicate your free time to that goal and don't run into bigger problems. It won't be "done" within a month but it could be running, which is a big motivation booster. Car projects tend to take longer than planned so don't get discouraged if you aren't cruising as soon as you'd like. After all, you're reviving it from 10+ years of hibernation!

In addition to Corbic's list, you'll need a new battery and to clean the terminals that attach to the battery since they were so covered in corrosion. To reiterate his point, you aren't done when it's running. Definitely replace those tires and brakes and do other maintenance items.

Do you have a friend or relative who is experienced and willing to help? Replacing brake fluid isn't hard with two people as long as one of them knows what they're doing.

To find the 5% off promo code for RockAuto, you can check
https://www.retailmenot.com/view/rockauto.com
gsond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:48 PM   #43
mana

Thank you Corbic for your knowledge, willing to help a nub like me )
Old 08-21-2021, 10:08 PM   #44
mana

Quote:
Wire Brush or Wire Wheel + Drill/Angle Grider to get the heavy stuff.

Sand then use the Permatex Rust Disovling Gel. See what u have left after that.

Zink Primer and top coat. Look at it, may want to just use rustolium hammer coat brush on. Black drys a Grey color and is very durable.
The negative terminal and the wire itself that is screwed to something is also worn out bad from acid corrosion and has to be changed. The positive battery cable is okay but the terminal does need to be replaced also. So should I do a battery relocation or replace the wires and terminals?