Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-15-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
coupe92
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
coupe92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Does this turbo look to be in decent shape? pls halp (HOLSET)

he341 same as the hy35 type D, Comes off the 03-04 5.9 cummins. The guy claims it has 95k miles, doesn't burn oil, and was pulled to go to a bigger turbo/injectors. The only reason for posting this thread is so see if you guys see any signs I should be worried about such as the oil residue (?) on the compressor housing, and does the exhaust housing look like it was burning oil? Or just soot from rolling coal?
I'm hesitant to buy used since 3 years ago when first turboing my KA I bought an sr t25 from a guy on here for $140 that turned out to have horrible in/out play, and burnt tons of oil.

Been wanting to go bigger on my stock block ka-t for like 2 years now, finally have a job and some extra cash so I'm starting towards it. Already have 740cc injectors, n62 maf, an enthalpy 93/e85 tune and an ISIS t25, but I've been ready to upgrade the turbo for awhile now.

Thanks in advance zilvians.
coupe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
Grocery Cart
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Grocery Cart is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Judging by the truck it's coming off of I would definitely lean towards it's soot from rolling coal. But that's just my guess.
Grocery Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
I hate to say it bud, but if you're looking to do any sort of modifications to your vehicles engine and you can't determine whether this turbo is good, first hand, then you shouldn't be doing anything until you learn more.

As for the turbo, it appears fine. For the record, it's called carbon.

On the subject of the turbo itself, why would you want to go bigger? If you've got a stock block with a t25 already on it what makes you want to jump all the way to the Holset?
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Shaft play is the only way to tell unless there are obvious signs of damage. A 341 is an excellent choice and can make 400whp on pump gas. Holset turbos are beasts and are extremely resilient.
If i could've done my ka-t all over again i'd have went with a Holset from the start.
I've burned 3 ebay turbos and am now going to an HX35( or he351)/precision hyrbid.
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:07 PM   #5
coupe92
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti tyler View Post
I hate to say it bud, but if you're looking to do any sort of modifications to your vehicles engine and you can't determine whether this turbo is good, first hand, then you shouldn't be doing anything until you learn more.

As for the turbo, it appears fine. For the record, it's called carbon.

On the subject of the turbo itself, why would you want to go bigger? If you've got a stock block with a t25 already on it what makes you want to jump all the way to the Holset?
I appreciate the input, but before patronizing me you should realize I can't physically inspect the turbo, as it's 500 miles away. I'm not an idiot, I taught myself everything I know via researching on zilvia and other sites and successfully boosted my car 20k miles ago, but I am still haunted of the $140 (worked at mcdonalds at the time) I wasted so I made this post. The reason for this forum is to get others' expertise / opinions. Since my only experience with turbos is the one I got burned on, as well as the isis t25/t28, I figured I'd ask the forum if they see any visible warning signs on this particular one. I thought maybe someone with experience with diesel turbos might say it looks like it had burnt oil given the appearance of the carbon buildup, for example. If you didn't mean that in a patronizing way I apologize, but I don't like people talking to me like I'm one of the stupid new kids who are in over their head and don't know how to search.

Why the jump? A stock block KA can take well over the mid 200s whp this turbo can make, and I have all the other supporting stuff needed, why not go with a bigger snail? I have run the ISIS t25/t28 for a long time, and have gotten tolerant to it. I've run it from 9 psi up to 16 psi, and it falls off to less than 8 psi by 6000 rpm regardless. I've had my fun with it for around 20k miles, and am ready to move onto a t3 setup that is capable of 400whp without being a total heat pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxball88 View Post
Shaft play is the only way to tell unless there are obvious signs of damage. A 341 is an excellent choice and can make 400whp on pump gas. Holset turbos are beasts and are extremely resilient.
If i could've done my ka-t all over again i'd have went with a Holset from the start.
I've burned 3 ebay turbos and am now going to an HX35( or he351)/precision hyrbid.
Are you doing a twinscroll mani + divided housing? Sounds awesome. If I had a built engine I'd probably go with the hx35, especially if I could find a twin scroll mani. My main reason for going hy35 is I've seen so many good things about them and have wanted to do this for awhile. I like the price, and uniqueness of a holset. Also jmac's he341 setup was beautiful. It seems like it'd be an ideal stock block e85 turbo. People are getting full boost by 3200-3400 which is great for a turbo capable of 450whp.

Pic of Jmac's engine bay and the dyno at 20psi...I've been drooling over this thing for years, but didn't have a job my first year of college so I've had to wait to do my own holset setup.

Last edited by coupe92; 07-16-2014 at 10:44 PM..
Old 07-16-2014, 11:55 PM   #6
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe92 View Post
I appreciate the input, but before patronizing me you should realize I can't physically inspect the turbo, as it's 500 miles away. I'm not an idiot, I taught myself everything I know via researching on zilvia and other sites and successfully boosted my car 20k miles ago, but I am still haunted of the $140 (worked at mcdonalds at the time) I wasted so I made this post. The reason for this forum is to get others' expertise / opinions. Since my only experience with turbos is the one I got burned on, as well as the isis t25/t28, I figured I'd ask the forum if they see any visible warning signs on this particular one. I thought maybe someone with experience with diesel turbos might say it looks like it had burnt oil given the appearance of the carbon buildup, for example. If you didn't mean that in a patronizing way I apologize, but I don't like people talking to me like I'm one of the stupid new kids who are in over their head and don't know how to search.

Why the jump? A stock block KA can take well over the mid 200s whp this turbo can make, and I have all the other supporting stuff needed, why not go with a bigger snail? I have run the ISIS t25/t28 for a long time, and have gotten tolerant to it. I've run it from 9 psi up to 16 psi, and it falls off to less than 8 psi by 6000 rpm regardless. I've had my fun with it for around 20k miles, and am ready to move onto a t3 setup that is capable of 400whp without being a total heat pump.

Are you doing a twinscroll mani + divided housing? Sounds awesome. If I had a built engine I'd probably go with the hx35, especially if I could find a twin scroll mani. My main reason for going hy35 is I've seen so many good things about them and have wanted to do this for awhile. I like the price, and uniqueness of a holset. Also jmac's he341 setup was beautiful. It seems like it'd be an ideal stock block e85 turbo. People are getting full boost by 3200-3400 which is great for a turbo capable of 450whp.

Pic of Jmac's engine bay and the dyno at 20psi...I've been drooling over this thing for years, but didn't have a job my first year of college so I've had to wait to do my own holset setup.
I post under the user Pr0D1gy on kat forums, you can see my dyno there. I'm on an ebay (smaller gt35ish size turbo), single scroll t4. 4100ish full boost.
I'm going to use a precision .63 a/r Single scroll, P-trim (for brake master clearance) turbine housing. Turbo Lab of America quoted me 100 bucks to machine the housing i have already from a blown SC61. Then an hx35 or he351 CHRA, wheels, and compressor cover.
I have an HX35 in my possession off a friends truck, it sucked something up and broke several compressor wheels, however the turbo has 0 shaft play in/out or side to side.... amazing.
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
you should just give me the info and ill buy the turbo and ill let you know how it turns out..
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:35 AM   #8
coupe92
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersayianjim View Post
you should just give me the info and ill buy the turbo and ill let you know how it turns out..
I bought it, sorry. $200 bucks too, not bad, even if it needed a rebuild I hear it's pretty cheap with how common these are. Might even try it myself to learn a thing or two if it needed one. excited to see how this thing turns out. Now to find a top mount manifold and wastegate. Can't wait to hear that biuriful whistle while I stomp it in 3nd coming up an on ramp.