Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-17-2021, 06:18 PM   #1
madngineer
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
madngineer is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Anyone ever plastic weld s14 abs oem navan side skirts

Anyone have any advice on repairing these skirts by plastic welding? I am not sure what type of plastic I should use in the repair. Please chime in if you have actually repaired these skirts.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2021, 04:51 PM   #2
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
You'll want to stick with the same parent material. There should be an identifying code on the back of the part. If you are for certain it's abs, then use abs plastic welding rod.

If the damage is just a crack, you can also go the hot staple route. For most bumper repairs that I do, I usually go this route. It gives the repair some kind of mechanical structure, and then I usually use a mesh screen combined with 3M's semi rigid epoxy(4240), and then I "V" out the front side, and do a cosmetic repair on the front side either either using 3M's flexible plastic repair (5887) or more of the same semi rigid repair. Keep in mind that you'll need to use an adhesion promotor between each coat of repair material, spraying very light coats, and letting it dry completely. I'd also suggest staying away from any sandpaper on the front side of the repair rougher than 150. Anything less than that and you'll have little "fuzzies" that'll show up when you prime the piece.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:49 PM   #3
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
@burns, do you have a youtube video you would suggest on this.

I did a plastic weld / repair on my glasses.... the ear piece was a really bad design. looks like shit, so I shrinked wrapped part of it, but its holding up well.

I seen stitching it with zip ties and using soldering iron.....
Old 04-19-2021, 02:03 AM   #4
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
burnsauto = spot on.
I attempted a plastic weld repair on my OEM 180sx side skirts with ABS filler, in the end I ultimately used the 3M epoxy and it turned out great, that's the route to go IMO
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:57 AM   #5
burnsauto
Post Whore!

burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
I looked around some youtube videos but didn't see anything that jumped out at me. I'm not one to make videos, but next time I fix a bumper I'll take some photos and do a write up.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #6
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
When in doubt cut a small sliver of plastic from an inconspicuous area to use as your filler material.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:53 AM   #7
slider2828
Post Whore!

slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
@Burns, yeah I've been also looking around and always keep an eye out. I haven't seen anything remotely as detail as you've said....
Old 04-23-2021, 01:41 PM   #8
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
@Burns, yeah I've been also looking around and always keep an eye out. I haven't seen anything remotely as detail as you've said....
I've got a Porsche 911 bumper sitting around that I may do a write up on, guy poked a hole dead center in it when he ran into a hitch on a pick up truck. We wound up replacing the bumper, and because its a 1500.00 dollar bumper I saved it.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:52 AM   #9
slider2828
Post Whore!

NOICE! I can't wait.... 1500 dollar bumper? GT level at least?

Here I complain about a 1500 bodykit, granted fiberglass though.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:04 AM   #10
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
NOICE! I can't wait.... 1500 dollar bumper? GT level at least?

Here I complain about a 1500 bodykit, granted fiberglass though.
nope just a 911 targa. But when the car sells new for $160,000...
Old 04-30-2021, 01:13 PM   #11
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
https://www.longlinden.com/products/...qFMHLobg06DUKA
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:13 PM   #12
burnsauto
Post Whore!

That's not a bad option for a home gamer, I've heard that harbor freight also sells a version. The only thing I wish that version had was some sort of heat settings. I use a Dent fix model - a DF400BR-, considerably more than 20 bucks, but the ability to control the heat is pretty important. Not all plastics melt at the same rate, they come in different thicknesses, and depending on the staple design, need more or less voltage to melt in correctly.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:51 AM   #13
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
anyone ever used a hot stapler? it think its made by Easton, it heats a metal coil that melts into the plast and holds the two broken pieces together
Old 05-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #14
burnsauto
Post Whore!

welcome to the conversation....