Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
spoolinzx

Trader Rating: (0)
spoolinzx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR SR20 Running Rich, Losing Boost

So I'm having an issue with my SR boosting and my AFR's are way rich under boost.

Here's my set-up:
1993 240SX Hatch
S13 Red Top SR (rebuilt, by me, 2k miles ago. Honed cylinders, re-ringed and cleaned stock pistons, machined, polished, and balanced crank, matched rod and main bearings, Tomei metal headgasket, ARP headstuds, head was decked and valve job done, new water and oil pumps)
Currently running stock turbo which was rebuilt about 4k miles ago, injectors, intake, MAF etc.
FMIC, 3in Catless exhaust, Walbro 255 in-tank, Innovate Wideband, Autometer Boost Gauge, NXT Boost Controller @ 14psi

I've scoured the interwebs on ever forum out there and can't find anyone that is having my same issue so I'm posting here hoping for help. I am a mechanic by trade but my own car has me pulling my hair out.

My issue:
When accelerating, my AFR's are around 9.8:1 and the car is very hesitant at about half throttle. If I lay into the throttle, the car will lean out slightly and boost to 14psi @ about 11:1 AFR. The boost hits 14psi, will hold for a few seconds under WOT then the car falls on its face and loses all boost but doesn't go lean or rich.. I've tested for boost leaks and none were found. I've wired the wastegate shut and regulated boost with throttle and the issue still persists. If I remove the boost controller and run off of wastegate pressure, the issue is still there. I've gapped my plugs down to .025 and replaced all coils and regrounded the coil harness.

I've tried everything that seems logical and I am out of answers. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance.
spoolinzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Have you check if your MAF is working properly?
Edwin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
spoolinzx

I haven't located a good one to swap it with yet but it appears to be functioning properly. I will try harder tolocate a known good part to swap it with asap
Old 05-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Pull ecu codes. Clear codes. Start car, warm engine to operating temperature, put ecu into timing mode, verify timing....adjust.

Have you done all the usual, boost leak test, fuel pressure, injector leak test etc.

Sounds like the knock map to me, but it could be anything, resetting timing should get you back to normal for awhile, but the symptoms may come back.

Sent from my Highly Tuned Galaxy S3.4!!!

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
spoolinzx

I've done all of the "standard" tests. I've checked for boost leaks, injector leaks, ohm tested all injectors and coils, tested spark output, checked all grounds, and checked all connections. I've changed spark plugs and pretty much ruled out the obvious. I will try the above mentioned procedure and post my results. Thank you!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
spoolinzx

Okay, so here it is:
Pulled codes from the ECU and came up with code 34, knock sensor. Cleared codes, replaced knock sensor, problem solved!

Thank you so much for your help, didn't think a knock sensor would cause my symptoms but I've been proven wrong lol