Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
ZakS13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
ZakS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
CA Oil Pressure Gauge Install

So i bought an Autometer Phantom Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge (please no mechanical vs. electric debate please ) and i want to put it in the stock location so i dont have to buy an oil filter adapter thing, but idk the size of the threads on the block (motor is a CA18DET btw). Can anybody help me? i tried the autometer 1/8"NPT to 1/8" BSPT adapter but couldn't get it started in the threads. and threads are ok, no cross-threading and it wasn't retapped or anything like that. Im just wondering the size of the adapter i need to get this to work on the block?
ZakS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
lok
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
lok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
find a local hose place and take the oem sending unit so that you can get the thread pitch and then an adapter to your autometer setup which is most likely a standard.
lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
SHIFT_*grind*
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
SHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakS13 View Post
i tried the autometer 1/8"NPT to 1/8" BSPT adapter but couldn't get it started in the threads.
I couldn't either dude. It's fucking bullshit, I was getting so pissed. I had plenty of room, I was looking at the goddamn thing while it's at a perfect 90* angle to the block as I'm turning it to try and thread it, and it just didn't work. I spent like 20 minutes.

I mean, I have an SR, so you *may* have a different issue, but I'm willing to bet that you have the right size fitting and it just DOESN'T want to thread. I know for certain that SR's oil pressure fittings are 1/8"BSPT so I know I have the right adapter fitting.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
lok
Zilvia Addict

lok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFT_*grind* View Post
I couldn't either dude. It's fucking bullshit, I was getting so pissed. I had plenty of room, I was looking at the goddamn thing while it's at a perfect 90* angle to the block as I'm turning it to try and thread it, and it just didn't work. I spent like 20 minutes.

I mean, I have an SR, so you *may* have a different issue, but I'm willing to bet that you have the right size fitting and it just DOESN'T want to thread. I know for certain that SR's oil pressure fittings are 1/8"BSPT so I know I have the right adapter fitting.
cant be right if it doesnt fit though right?

i have a couple mech gauges that came with the adapter to replace the oem sending unit that went to braided lines.

they were used omori gauges though.

if it is not from japan, then it is crap.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
SHIFT_*grind*
Nissanaholic!

SHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfectionSHIFT_*grind* is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by lok View Post
cant be right if it doesnt fit though right?
I mean, I searched tons of posts on this forum, and every single piece of information states the factory sensor is 1/8"BSPT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lok View Post
if it is not from japan, then it is crap.
I'm not standing up and defending the quality of Autometer gauges, and Omori gauges are definitely quality parts, but that's a pretty broad statement =P
Old 08-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
ZakS13
Zilvia Member

yea the Autometer adapter is the right size, it just seems the pitch is off. idk im going to take it in the store tomorrow and see if they can find me anything. if not idk what i'll do..

and SHIFT..did you ever get it installed? lol i know this other guy said he had no problems with the autometer stuff so idk? maybe i'll just drill the whole, tap it, and call it good?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #7
lok
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFT_*grind* View Post
I mean, I searched tons of posts on this forum, and every single piece of information states the factory sensor is 1/8"BSPT.

I'm not standing up and defending the quality of Autometer gauges, and Omori gauges are definitely quality parts, but that's a pretty broad statement =P
i am pretty sure the oem sending unit is 1/8 bspt, try going to an industrial hose place locally and get a 1/8bspt fitting and try it.

take the oem unit and check but it should be 1/8bspt.

oh and it is a fact about the parts from japan.

read that shit on nicoclub

that is better than wikipedia.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
allntrlundrgrnd
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (17)
allntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfectionallntrlundrgrnd is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
I got my defi oil pressure gauge in today, hopefully i wont have any troubles with it.
allntrlundrgrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:57 PM   #9
ZakS13
Zilvia Member

industrial hose place? the only places around here with fittings are home depot and i've already checked there so lol..what do you mean by industrial hose place?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:59 PM   #10
importdude
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
importdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to importdude
Parker Fittings

http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER/
importdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:00 PM   #11
ZakS13
Zilvia Member

i kind of live in a very small town so i dont think we'll have anything around here like that..
Old 08-20-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
lok
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
industrial hose place? the only places around here with fittings are home depot and i've already checked there so lol..what do you mean by industrial hose place?
places that do hydrolic hose's and fittings.

look in the yellow pages and look for hydrolic or hose supply.

usually they are local and not franchise based and only do big local jobs.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:01 PM   #13
ZakS13
Zilvia Member

alright i'll check it out. anybody have this problem and solve it 100%? lol
Old 08-20-2008, 09:02 PM   #14
lok
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
i live in a pretty small town so we wont have anything to dramatic over here...:-\
if you have farmers and contractors and stuff that use large equipment then that is the kind of places they go.

check out the yellow pages.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #15
ZakS13
Zilvia Member

thanks alot, im looking now and have found places..you think they'll have this kind of stuff for sure?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #16
lok
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
thanks alot, im looking now and have found places..you think they'll have this kind of stuff for sure?
most likely.

it is best to bring your part in and let them actually see it. because if you do not know the size and some of the "industry terms" than they can be kind of assholes.

just take the part in and let them see it because most place's can tell you what the size is just by looking at it.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #17
ZakS13
Zilvia Member

alright Thanks alot "lok". you've been great! i hope that this turns out for me
btw, would a hyrdaulic place be able to make me a new High Pressure Power Steering Line lol..i'll go to a couple places tomorrow and see about the adapter for my gauge. Thanks alot!
Old 08-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #18
lok
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
alright Thanks alot "lok". you've been great! i hope that this turns out for me
btw, would a hyrdaulic place be able to make me a new High Pressure Power Steering Line lol..i'll go to a couple places tomorrow and see about the adapter for my gauge. Thanks alot!
just unbolt it and bring it in.

we have a local called "mr. hose" owned by an old lady which isnt weird.

but she makes nissan/infinity power steering lines all the time.

just bring in the stuff and let them see it.

worse case is they say no.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #19
ZakS13
Zilvia Member

i may have to do that lol. im going to a Hydraulic Eqiupment Repairing place in the morning to see if they have the fitting, and i'll ask them if they can do somethign like that..but i still have to buy a new battery so the P/S might have to wait lol
Old 08-20-2008, 09:31 PM   #20
ZakS13
Zilvia Member

wtf? lol double posted again lol comp is gay
Old 08-20-2008, 09:32 PM   #21
lok
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
wtf? lol double posted again lol comp is gay

if you have the hose then replacing the hose and reusing the old fittings should be cake.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:33 PM   #22
lok
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by importdude View Post
most of the local place's i use are big parker fittings users.

also parker o-rings.

viton is the shit.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:36 PM   #23
ZakS13
Zilvia Member

the place im going to is Michigan Industrial Repair, only because its like 5 blocks away..all the other places are in the next city over so if the first place can't do it, i'll start searching lol..

P.S. im driving my moms car so im not wasting my gas :-D lol
Old 08-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #24
SHIFT_*grind*
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
and SHIFT..did you ever get it installed? lol i know this other guy said he had no problems with the autometer stuff so idk? maybe i'll just drill the whole, tap it, and call it good?
No, this past weekend is when I tried to install it and I haven't had time since then. I think the problem stems from the fact that the factory sensor has a bit of a taper on the end to help get it started, while the Autometer adapter doesn't.

I've been planning on a GREX oil relocation kit anyway, which has threaded holes for the sensors, so I might just go ahead and get one and put the sensor in there instead.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #25
Master Chief
Zilvia Junkie

Master Chief is a name known to allMaster Chief is a name known to allMaster Chief is a name known to allMaster Chief is a name known to allMaster Chief is a name known to allMaster Chief is a name known to allMaster Chief is a name known to allMaster Chief is a name known to allMaster Chief is a name known to allMaster Chief is a name known to allMaster Chief is a name known to all
Had this same problem, fitting the Autometer unit to my Tomei N2 Plate.
The adapter, wouldnt start treading in - even though it is exactly the same pitch as the oem unit - 1/8th BSPT.....
Eventualy, i applied some force, and it started to tread in - went in fine after that, for about 3-4 treads, before it got really hard to keep going....

I just hope it doesnt fall out...
Master Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #26
ZakS13
Zilvia Member

im on my way to go see if this hydraulic place has anything like this or can get something like it. If not, maybe i'll get a Oil Filter Adapter with some NPT threads and just do that, i dont want to F up my block with rethreading it lol
Old 08-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #27
ZakS13
Zilvia Member

ok i took the stock oil pressure sender to the hydraulic place, and he told me that it is an 1/8" NPT 100%. i argued with him or a bit and just said F it, it can't be because the autometer stuff is NPT, and that doesn't fit in the block! i might go try and get that part that i took back the other night and try it again.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #28
SHIFT_*grind*
Nissanaholic!

Eh, is he absolutely 100% certain that it's 1/8"NPT? Because the difference between 1/8NPT and 1/8BSPT is 1 thread per inch. NPT is 27/inch, BSPT is 28/inch. A lot of the guys at shops like that deal with standard/American stuff 99% of the time and would likely just go "yep, it's NPT" without checking really carefully to see if it might be BSPT.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #29
ZakS13
Zilvia Member

yea that guy was wrong lol i just went to the auto parts store and me and the friendly cashier guy decided that the stock oil pressure sender is 1/8" BSPT and that the autometer adapter i bought was opposite what i need. The Male end was NPT and the female end was BSPT..Gay. i hate autometer part number 2269 lol. i just decided to buy the Glowshift Direct Oil Filter Adapter with the NPT threads on it, it'll be way easier i guess and i'll be able to install the oil temp gauge later on when i get it to so lol Thanks alot!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #30
SHIFT_*grind*
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
The Male end was NPT and the female end was BSPT..Gay. i hate autometer part number 2269 lol.
Are you sure about that one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.summitracing.com
Fitting, Metric Adapter, Oil Pressure, 1/8 in. NPT Female to 1/8 in. BSPT Male
Auto Meter 2269 - Auto Meter Metric Adapters - summitracing.com