Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
upstate240sx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
upstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
sr20de wont start

ok , so ive been working on my sr20de swap into s13 240. the engine turns over , but no spark..., i put a voltmeter up to the coil on the part where you connect the wire that goes to the distributor, and it reads 12v. when i crank the car over, it decreases. when i put the voltmeter to the end of the spark plug wire, i get nothing. when i hold the coil wire in my hand and crank it over i feel nothing. im using the ka harness, the coil and distributor plugs are plugged in. ive tried diff ecus, i think my alignment of the distributor is off, so i lined the motor up tdc, (or what i think tdc is) by lining the timing mark needle, with the marks (hole) farthest to the left, im guess this is 0 degrees , and to the right is 5, and to that right is 10 and so on.... so i lined up tdc, and aligned the rotor in the distributor as close to number 1 as possible, bolted everything up and still nothing, not even a shock......

any ideas

also btw, i dont think im throwing any codes, when i put the key in the on position the check engine light doesnt come on, could i have a bad cam angle sensor?? also, will a sr20det cam angle sensor work in a non turbo sr20, if my cas is bad what can i do to get a working one

Last edited by upstate240sx; 08-15-2008 at 08:07 PM..
upstate240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
upstate240sx
Zilvia Member

upstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really niceupstate240sx is just really nice
anyone have ne ideas
Old 08-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
upstate240sx
Zilvia Member

anything? from anyone? ive looked through the electrical section in the fsm, no luck , where can i find ignition troubleshooting ,btw i have accesories power

Last edited by upstate240sx; 08-18-2008 at 09:38 PM..
Old 08-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
RPS13nutt

Trader Rating: (0)
RPS13nutt is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
just throwing this out there.
have you opened up the distro cap to see if its in good condition?

as for a cas working for a na sr, it can work, bear in mind modding is required
dont know how much of it though
RPS13nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:59 AM   #5
TTrx7Pete
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
TTrx7Pete is making a name for him/her selfTTrx7Pete is making a name for him/her selfTTrx7Pete is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate240sx View Post
ok , so ive been working on my sr20de swap into s13 240. the engine turns over , but no spark..., i put a voltmeter up to the coil on the part where you connect the wire that goes to the distributor, and it reads 12v. when i crank the car over, it decreases. when i put the voltmeter to the end of the spark plug wire, i get nothing. when i hold the coil wire in my hand and crank it over i feel nothing. im using the ka harness, the coil and distributor plugs are plugged in. ive tried diff ecus, i think my alignment of the distributor is off, so i lined the motor up tdc, (or what i think tdc is) by lining the timing mark needle, with the marks (hole) farthest to the left, im guess this is 0 degrees , and to the right is 5, and to that right is 10 and so on.... so i lined up tdc, and aligned the rotor in the distributor as close to number 1 as possible, bolted everything up and still nothing, not even a shock......

any ideas

also btw, i dont think im throwing any codes, when i put the key in the on position the check engine light doesnt come on, could i have a bad cam angle sensor?? also, will a sr20det cam angle sensor work in a non turbo sr20, if my cas is bad what can i do to get a working one
My thought is that your ECU is not working. Make sure that you have it correctly hooked up and re-check all of your grounds. The Check Engine Light (CEL) should come on when the car is put in the ON position. This signifies power to the ECU.

The 240sx, because it uses 2 separate harnesses for starting/transmission/chassis and engine can trick you. Your car will attempt to crank because the starter is still getting power.

Use the FSM to diagnose your ignition system after you have checked all of your grounds and ECU connection. Make sure the 10mm bolt is tight. Also you should hear a clicking noise coming from the passenger side area, there is a relay there for the ECCS. If you DO NOT hear that clicking when you turn your ignition to ON, your wiring is not correct.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
upstate240sx
Zilvia Member

yea inside the cap looks good, ive also tried other rotors, and the cap is pretty new, yea ive tried 3 different ecus , 1 of which im sure is good, i tried my non turbo reg sr20de, and my ka ecu ( which will start a sr20de , but run it like a pig) and my jwt sr20de ecu. yea the light on the ecu wont blink either, even when i turn the self diagnosis switch, how can i check a relay, and is this relay in the box by the battery? ive gotten the 10mm bolt pretty tight by the way, like how tight should it be...
Old 08-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
2nd mark to the left is 0°, which is TDC, on the crank pulley.

And I thought only the JDM SR20DE distributor will work correctly on that motor?
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
upstate240sx
Zilvia Member

yea my check engine light isnt coming one, and the ecu wont blink, what grounds should i check i thought i got them all, and i havent pulled out too many fuses but they all look good, is there anything inside the car fuse or ground wise that i should check, by the ecu, i might have hit something in side the car, because before i did the swap, when i had the ka, i had no problem starting, spark was great. so my coil, and ignitor and harness were good, and i havent done nething to the harness
Old 08-19-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
There's a fuse panel by the driver's left foot.

Check there.

Is your fuel pump coming on at all? Because if it's not, it's likely that you have an ECU related problem.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #10
upstate240sx
Zilvia Member

yea ive checked those fuses, there good ,no fuel pump wont power on, im guess my ecu cant get power, and im tryin to track that down at the moment
Old 08-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #11
upstate240sx
Zilvia Member

i swapped in some other relays , with no success, they might not have been good, is there a way i can override the relay and jump it myself, to try it, also are the relays a dealer only part, and is it isnt the relays what else would be keeping my ecu from getting power
Old 08-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Um... did you check the fuses in the engine bay as well? The ECCS fuse could have been blown...

See if your KA ECU will power a friend of your's KA 240, then see if it works on your car. If not, then it's your wiring, and not the ECU's problem.