Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
lolatclint
BANNED

Trader Rating: (1)
lolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to lolatclint
How to unlock brakes

Alright I replaced some new lug studs and my friend accidently pressed the brakes and now their completely closed.

my cousin said to get a c clamp tool 5-6 inches. but i have no clue what to do.

thanks

lolatclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Devens240
Zilvia Junkie

Devens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really niceDevens240 is just really nice
Hahahahahhaa. sorry thats just funny. try taking off the brakeline so all the fluid drains out and releases the pressure maybe? or if you can pry them apart with a screwdriver without damaging the pads?
Devens240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
lolatclint
BANNED

lolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud oflolatclint has much to be proud of
i unscrewed the nipple and drained some of the fluid out but it didnt release any pressure. i also tried to pry it apart with a flathead and hammer and still nothing.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Front or Rear?

Are the brake pads still in the caliper?

Front just put the C-Clamp screw side inside the piston cup, and wrench down on it to compress the piston. If it doesnt compress then your calipers are Seized

Rear: you need a special "cube" to twist the piston back in, Or you can use some neede nose pliers

Edit: At work cant see pics
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
try getting a pair of vice grips and slowly twisting the piston as you push in on it. I had the same problem with some of my calipers and twisting it made a huge help.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
lolatclint
BANNED

its the rear brakes, and the brake pads are in the caliper still
Old 08-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
garagelu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (60)
garagelu is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 60 reviews
you guys are suggesting him to twist the piston in but how is he supposed to get to the piston when the brake pads in the way. Here is what you do. Bolt the whole assembly back to the spindle. Then unbolt the caliper from the caliper bracket. And then use a hammer to hit the caliper off the bracket. That should allow you to twist the piston back in.
garagelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolatclint View Post
its the rear brakes, and the brake pads are in the caliper still
Ok well the C-Clamp wont work then

You have to twist the piston to compress it
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #9
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Ok, I'll admit to laughing out loud when I saw this.
Slap your friend in the back of the head, then pry the brake pads out somehow. Start with the outer pad first, as the inner one will likely be held in place by the pin on the back of the pad.

Once that's done, get the tool everyone is mentioning and screw that piston back in.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #10
HS13KLS
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
HS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
^ i agree, just pry them apart..and DO NOT. use a c clamp on those rear calipers..

you will seize them.. or break them.. whatever. point is. you will need new ones. so dont do that. ha.

i hope you get them out man
HS13KLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #11
WoolyS14DET
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
WoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to WoolyS14DET
remove pads and turn piston clockwise to retract back into place !!
btw sock you buddy for being a "DONKY"
WoolyS14DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:50 PM   #12
Mikey88
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Mikey88 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dont use a c-clamp either to press in the piston after you remove the pads you can damage the piston causing you to have to buy a new caliper...i know i learned the hard way because i was cheap...buy the piston tool from autozone and have fun
Mikey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:10 PM   #13
kamerononfire

kamerononfire is a well-known jackass
i don't know if anyone has said something actually helpful, but here is something that WILL work

get a pair of channel lock pliers, and grip them around the outer diameter of the piston. grip tightly and turn the piston counter clockwise. at the same time, pry with a flathead screwdriver to push the piston back in (or, use a c-clamp). do both at the same time until you have enough play to remove a pad.

good luck, douchebag.
kamerononfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #14
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
A whole thread of fail.

Remove the pad carrier, thus removing the pads from the caliper.

Now compress the caliper.

Sniff some glue while you're at it, you apparently need it.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:20 PM   #15
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

Location: Louisiana. LA is for Louisiana. L.A. is Los Angeles.
Trader Rating: (2)
LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Rip em off and go Z32.

Or you could do what everyone else suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Come on, this isn't Gran Turismo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOK
your balls are either ballin, or they aren't... no second hand nut sweat can change that.
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/24807...-stuff-fs.html
LA_phantom_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:21 PM   #16
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
A whole thread of fail.

hahaha christ I feel dumb.

That's what I get for thinking within the confines of the OP's post.

mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #17
JDM671
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
JDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JDM671
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolatclint View Post
Alright I replaced some new lug studs and my friend accidently pressed the brakes and now their completely closed.

my cousin said to get a c clamp tool 5-6 inches. but i have no clue what to do.

thanks

holy fuck this happened to me. Or my friend that is. But someone pulled the hand brake. And it got stuck the same way. Good things the pads where warn out though. All I did was hammered the shit otta it. lol

Touke <3
JDM671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:33 AM   #18
Firestorm
Zilvia Junkie

Firestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
A whole thread of fail.

what he said.
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:49 AM   #19
lolatclint
BANNED

thanks for everyones help. i got it back on but my brakes are a little weak. probably gotta do some bleeding.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #20
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
If you messed with the bleeder screw on the caliper of course you have to bleed the brakes.
Def is offline   Reply With Quote