Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:44 AM   #1
supersonik

Trader Rating: (0)
supersonik is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR20DET coil packs bolts

Hey,

I was changing my spark plugs, and when I was tightening my bolts from my coil packs, one of them broke. The bolt was worn out, but it broke exactly on top of the thread (idk how to say it in English, but it will be clear in the pics)
Now my question was, do they require to be fastened with a bolt, even when I just want to move the car from the street on my driveway 10 metres further? And is the best solution to remove the bolt just to drill it out and reapply the thread?

Image link: https://imgur.com/gallery/JYCQ7HG

Thank you guys so much in advance!
supersonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
RomulanS13

RomulanS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
It would be a good idea to bolt it down with the bolt. Get an extracting tool the'yre not expensive at all. I failed to bolt mine down cause I was rushing to finish before my work closed and on the way home it was missing cause it was bouncing around when I was on the freeway.
RomulanS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulanS13 View Post
Get an extracting tool the'yre not expensive at all.

This. I’ve done this 3 or 4 times now, using an extracting tool is the best way. If not, take a sharp flathead screwdriver and a hammer and pound the screwdriver into the bolt to create a channel that the screwdriver can turn. That’s worked for me too.
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #4
supersonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisileighty View Post
This. I’ve done this 3 or 4 times now, using an extracting tool is the best way. If not, take a sharp flathead screwdriver and a hammer and pound the screwdriver into the bolt to create a channel that the screwdriver can turn. That’s worked for me too.
My plan is to use a 3 or 4mm drill, and then use an M5 thread to be able to put a new bolt in, that should do the trick, right?
Old 01-04-2019, 01:10 PM   #5
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Ah the old coil pack bolt broken deal

You learn the hard way I guess. I saw a friend do it on his sr20 long before I ever owned an sr20, so I already knew in advance. The coilpacks dont need to be very tight; Just barely snug is fine.

Its better to have it comes loose and start misfiring then be so tight it snaps off in the cover.

All ya gotta do is slap the coilpack down and its fine again right?

half the sr20 I tune now don't even use the bolts anymore because the owners have switched to some other coilpack version which doesn't even use them.

Also there are "coil pack covers" you know the plastic thing that came with the motor, that will really help hold down the coil packs if you dont want to use the bolts. What I've seen some friends do is they put a metal (custom) cover on the engine and it takes up the space between the coilpack and cover so the coils cant come up.

Its such a small problem but the main idea here is that the bolts dont need to be tight at all.

Other bolts you dont want to overtighten or it breaks something:
1. radiator/hose clamps
2. nearly every 10mm bolt
3. front cover (oil pump) bolts I seen them snap an ear off
4. add your favorite...
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #6
supersonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Ah the old coil pack bolt broken deal

You learn the hard way I guess. I saw a friend do it on his sr20 long before I ever owned an sr20, so I already knew in advance. The coilpacks dont need to be very tight; Just barely snug is fine.

Its better to have it comes loose and start misfiring then be so tight it snaps off in the cover.

All ya gotta do is slap the coilpack down and its fine again right?

half the sr20 I tune now don't even use the bolts anymore because the owners have switched to some other coilpack version which doesn't even use them.

Also there are "coil pack covers" you know the plastic thing that came with the motor, that will really help hold down the coil packs if you dont want to use the bolts. What I've seen some friends do is they put a metal (custom) cover on the engine and it takes up the space between the coilpack and cover so the coils cant come up.

Its such a small problem but the main idea here is that the bolts dont need to be tight at all.

Other bolts you dont want to overtighten or it breaks something:
1. radiator/hose clamps
2. nearly every 10mm bolt
3. front cover (oil pump) bolts I seen them snap an ear off
4. add your favorite...
Thank you very much for the advice! Might look into some coil packs who don't use bolts, you got any suggestions?