Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #1
chadca18s13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
chadca18s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
best oil to use in kaaz 2 way lsd?

hey all, so im looking for what kind of oil to put in my brand spankin new kaaz 2 way lsd. i used the kaaz fluid for break in, its still in it now, and since it requires the oil be changed after break in im wonderin what i should use?

i know kaaz suggests you use their oil but it seems to be quite difficult to find the shit... so i phoned a local shop and ordered a bottle of royal purple 75w90 for it. any suggestions on whether i should go thru with using it? im a little nervous because i know it says to not use synthetic oils in their 2 ways... but i dont wanna have to pay an arm and a leg for the kaaz stuff.

any advice?

thanks
chadca18s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
LongGrain
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
LongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i would stick with kaaz oil.
LongGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Flipzide
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
Flipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfectionFlipzide is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i used cheap diff oil when i broke in my kaaz 2way and i've been using kaaz diff oil ever since when i changed out the oil.

i'd go with kaaz oil over anything else because i've never had any issues with it.

D-Street.net | bcuison.wordpress.com
Flipzide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
chadca18s13
Leaky Injector

thanks for the advice guys, i went onto the kaaz site and just ordered 2 jugs of the kaaz oil. figured id load up so i dont need to purchase any for at least a year or so...

thanks again
Old 11-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
SilviaSR20DET
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
SilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
sorry to go off topic but are you guys daily driving your lsd's? how long do they last?
SilviaSR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
JohnnyDrfiter22
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
JohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyDrfiter22 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ive scene and read ppl drive them daily for 2 years plus no rebuilds. I think around than id pull it apart and check the pucks maybe depends on what kind of driving but if you take care of it you shouldnt have a problem
JohnnyDrfiter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
unlegendary
Zilvia Addict

unlegendary is a well-known jackass
aw no experimenting? i wanted to see alternatives too. oh yeah he meant daily drifting lol.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilviaSR20DET View Post
sorry to go off topic but are you guys daily driving your lsd's? how long do they last?
Just daily driving, I haven't noticed any issue with mine at all, now if you daily drive and do dumb shit while driving i'm sure the lsd wont last, just change out the fluid every so often... Mine is due for some lovin itself!
Old 11-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #9
boozels
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
boozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to allboozels is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
just order kaaz oil from them online

KAAZ POWER TRAIN GEAR OIL(GL-5/80W-90) - 2L CAN

t-apc.com t-apc.com t-apc.com t-apc.com
boozels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
karl wasabi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
karl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to karl wasabi
I daily drive my Tomei T-Traxx 2-Way. (Same as Kaaz)

I use regular conventional 75w90 oil and then add a little bottle of Ford Friction Modifier. You can get it at any Ford dealership.

Works great, smells like ass, and...it makes your clunking noise go away. I was amazed. =)

You should definitely try it.

EDIT: This tip was given to me by a few different drifters. I did not pull this out of my ass. haha.
karl wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
About oil - diffs are expensive enough that I'll go ahead and use the manufacturers oil. Keeps 'em quiet and gives me peace of mind.

As far as longevity - I've had my Tomei 2-way for a couple years now, and only notice a difference in performance after I changed the oil again this summer - I didn't realize how much quieter and how much better it grabs when you have fresh oil in it. Buy a good 2way, put some good oil in it, and forget about it - they all work so well you won't even realize it's there until you put the car into a slide and steer with the rear.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #12
az_240
Post Whore!

az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to az_240
This has been discussed quite a bit... the KAAZ/TOMEI diffs do not like certain oils so it is best to stick with what the manufacturer recommends.

I have a Cusco RS 2 way because I heard they were more forgiving... as in I can use synthetic Redline gear oil with ford friction modifier from the store down the street. I have had no probs so far in the year or so I have owned it... minimal clunkage around corners and locks great.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #13
mikaelrules

mikaelrules is an unknown quantity at this point
How often to you guys change the oil on your LSDs for the daily driven cars?
mikaelrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #14
chadca18s13
Leaky Injector

so yeah i did go ahead and buy the kaaz fluid online. thanks for the advice on that

as for the daily driver id also like to know how often you guys change the fluid, my car will be daily driver for the next year or so...
Old 11-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #15
az_240
Post Whore!

az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Every oil change.... so 3-5k
Old 11-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #16
TUnity2
Zilvia Junkie

TUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of light
well i will be the first guy to pretty much do the opposite of what everyone has done.

I daily drove for nearly 2 years with a kazz 2 way with napa premium 75w90 and changed it every 6 months or so, sooner if i did an event or 2.

The friction modifier does quiet it down but isnt necessary, i personally enjoyed the clunk.
The dif still locks very hard and whenever i change the oil it is never any different color/smell then when i first put it in.
TUnity2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:19 PM   #17
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Tomei has recommended to me every other oil change, or every other drift event. Daily driving you're almost never locking the diff, so there's really no wear and tear... drift events you're locking and unlocking constantly, so that's where the wear is going to come in.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #18
ae13bravo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ae13bravo is a name known to allae13bravo is a name known to allae13bravo is a name known to allae13bravo is a name known to allae13bravo is a name known to allae13bravo is a name known to allae13bravo is a name known to allae13bravo is a name known to allae13bravo is a name known to allae13bravo is a name known to allae13bravo is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ae13bravo Send a message via MSN to ae13bravo
Do you guys know of any local shop in 626 that carries the Kaaz LSD oil?

Help me find a Top Garage Rear Bumper!
http://zilvia.net/f/private-sellers/...ae13bravo.html
ae13bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #19
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
Whatever you do, do not use synthetics fluid. That will wear down the clutch packs. What it does is it creates a film between the pucks which allows then to slip and never fully grab together, causing premature wear. As told to me by Ray from Kaaz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae13bravo View Post
Kaaz USA is pretty close in Garden Grove.

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #20
pink godzila
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (226)
pink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond reputepink godzila has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 226 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae13bravo View Post
I can get the Kazza LSD oil for you LMK

PM if need it price around 40$ ~ 45$.
pink godzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #21
chuy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
chuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
There was a post on drifting.com way back when. There was a post from a Kaaz representative, talking about running Valvoline 80w90 with non-synthetic Ford friction modifier. Ive changed mine every 4-6 months for the last 3-4 years. Never had any problems, actually the oil stays really clean and there is some shavings on the drain plug but nothing to worry about. Hey its your money do what you want but instead of 46 for a change why not spend 20 for the same thing.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:37 PM   #22
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl wasabi View Post
I daily drive my Tomei T-Traxx 2-Way. (Same as Kaaz)

I use regular conventional 75w90 oil and then add a little bottle of Ford Friction Modifier. You can get it at any Ford dealership.

Works great, smells like ass, and...it makes your clunking noise go away. I was amazed. =)

You should definitely try it.

EDIT: This tip was given to me by a few different drifters. I did not pull this out of my ass. haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuy View Post
There was a post on drifting.com way back when. There was a post from a Kaaz representative, talking about running Valvoline 80w90 with non-synthetic Ford friction modifier. Ive changed mine every 4-6 months for the last 3-4 years. Never had any problems, actually the oil stays really clean and there is some shavings on the drain plug but nothing to worry about. Hey its your money do what you want but instead of 46 for a change why not spend 20 for the same thing.

Exactly what I do. I use Shell Rotella(Spirex) 80/90 and Ford Friction Modifier. 3 years later, no problems. Daily driven in the nice weather, lotsa HPDE abuse. If the stuff is durable and up to big rig standards, it's good enough for my pos.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:12 AM   #23
tEckniks
Leaky Injector

tEckniks is an unknown quantity at this point
how much ford friction modifier do you use?
Old 02-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #24
jackal264
Zilvia Junkie

jackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud ofjackal264 has much to be proud of
fwiw i've had a tomei diff for about 4 years. the first two were daily driven then the last two were track only but i've used motul 90-pa since break in and the diff is still going strong.
jackal264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #25
az_240
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tEckniks View Post
Way to bump a thread from 08'

I have been using ford friction modifier in my cusco lsd for a while. I use 3/4 of the bottle with Redline 75w90 gear oil. I think I'm gonna switch to Motul 90pa though... heard its good stuff.

Last edited by az_240; 02-28-2010 at 01:29 AM..
Old 02-28-2010, 09:55 AM   #26
tEckniks
Leaky Injector

tEckniks is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post

I have been using ford friction modifier in my cusco lsd for a while. I use 3/4 of the bottle with Redline 75w90 gear oil. I think I'm gonna switch to Motul 90pa though... heard its good stuff.
lol its the only thread ive found with decent information..

3/4 bottle? sounds good thanks
Old 02-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #27
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by tEckniks View Post
The entire bottle. No reason in saving any of it, as it will just stink up your garage. One bottle per diff is what you use it for anyway. It's only like 4 bucks from the dealer as is.

Quote:
At least he searched. An old thrad bumped for some dumbass question is one thing but he at least kept it on topic.

Quote:
You're pretty much overpaying for a street car. Any old 80w/90 will be more than fine, considering you should change this oil every other oil change. Not saying that stuff isn't good, but overkill/waste if you ask me. You can buy 80w/90 Rotella Gear oil at Walmart, hella cheap.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #28
xdumbxguyx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
xdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to beholdxdumbxguyx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
ive used motul 90pa with friction modifer with no problems
Old 04-17-2010, 05:28 AM   #29
Locko
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Locko is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdumbxguyx View Post
ive used motul 90pa with friction modifer with no problems
on your kaaz 2 way ? so from what i gather (sorry i never had a diff before lol) i should run one bottle of ford friction modifier non-synthetic and 80w/90 Rotella Gear oil (non-synthetic im guessing lol) . i have a drift event tomorrow and i never change the diff oil since i installed brand new in the car lol (that's 2 events and like 1000 miles)
Locko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #30
reallygood101
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (27)
reallygood101 will become famous soon enoughreallygood101 will become famous soon enoughreallygood101 will become famous soon enoughreallygood101 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
didnt wanna make a new thread wit my question, but wat are people using now a days in there lsd diffs, is royal purple diff fluid good, or should i stick to the tomie/kaaz oil, or do the whole 80w90 with ford friction modifier
reallygood101 is offline   Reply With Quote