Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:42 AM   #1
Hnl_sr20

Trader Rating: (0)
Hnl_sr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR ARP main studs

Hey guys new to the forum. I’ve always been an enthusiasts of sr engines.
So I decided to build one of my own on my down time while looking for a shell. . So I’ve been searching and searching and can’t find a clear answer about arp main studs. I’ve just received my block from the machine shop and they machined it with the stock main bolts and I’m wondering if I can just install the arp mainbolts or would I have to get it machined with the arp main studs?

Thanks guys!
Hnl_sr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
When going from bolts -> studs they need to be installed, torqued down, and the cylinder or mains (studded parts) need machining to re-create the round holes.

The head requires a deck plate studded down for this
In the mains of sr20 I've never tried studs but I assume its the same as other engines, align bore/hone with studs andno bearing, then install bearing and torque without crank to check with dial bore gauge and mic the crank, reorder correct bearing, repeat as necessary until all are round and proper clearance. then install crank
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #3
speedfiend
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (68)
speedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to allspeedfiend is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 68 reviews
Send a message via AIM to speedfiend
If you are installing arp main studs I would highly suggests having the mainline rehoned. Reason being is the arp studs will apply force on the mainline differently then the stock main bolts which can possibly change the size of the main bores as well as pull them out of line.
Cameron
speedfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
Hnl_sr20

Thank you for your input you guys. Now it feels like I’m stuck in a rut. Just having it back from the mAcjkne shop then giving it back for the studs.
My horse power goal is between 350 to 450 would the bottom end stock bolts hold that much? If not the I guess I’ll drop the block off again.

Again thanks guys!
Old 03-25-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
smoked240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
smoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymoresmoked240 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to smoked240
I added arps to my Rb25 and didn't have a line hone done. Engines have been built for decades without being line honed and have no issues.

I believe it depends on what engine/ hp goals and what you're doing with the engine, also why was it rebuilt? Did it spin a main bearing? If so a mainline hone would be smart to do. RB engines have a giant one piece maincap gurdle. Now if it was like a Small block Chevy with individual main caps, a line hone wouldn't be a bad idea. I've built a few Chevy 350s without mainline honing and they're still going to this day.

I'm not telling you DONT main line hone your engine, I'm simply informing you of my experience with it.

If I was going to build my RB for 800-1000hp all day and gonna be slamming it off the revs then yes, a mainline hone would have been in the build.
Just my .02 cents.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #6
Hnl_sr20

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoked240 View Post
I added arps to my Rb25 and didn't have a line hone done. Engines have been built for decades without being line honed and have no issues.

I believe it depends on what engine/ hp goals and what you're doing with the engine, also why was it rebuilt? Did it spin a main bearing? If so a mainline hone would be smart to do. RB engines have a giant one piece maincap gurdle. Now if it was like a Small block Chevy with individual main caps, a line hone wouldn't be a bad idea. I've built a few Chevy 350s without mainline honing and they're still going to this day.

I'm not telling you DONT main line hone your engine, I'm simply informing you of my experience with it.

If I was going to build my RB for 800-1000hp all day and gonna be slamming it off the revs then yes, a mainline hone would have been in the build.
Just my .02 cents.

S13 blacktop. Had a Bent rod. So I tore it down sent it to the machine shop where they resurface and rehoned the cylinders. Also got my crank micro polished and my bearings mic to make sure it wasn’t fcked up from the bent rod.

My goals are anywhere to 350 to 400 would be great if stock bottom end bolts hold.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2018, 08:36 PM   #7
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
big gap between 350 and 450. Then you said 350 to 400.

Stock engine I would trust all day at 320-350rwhp.
380+ recommend a forged piston.

'cookie cutter build' for stock motor is usually a 40lb/min turbo
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:39 PM   #8
ericb382
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
ericb382 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Run stock bolts. They won’t have a problem at that power level. If you do arp studs you will need a line hone. That's also an operation that a lot of machine shops don’t get right. So you’re opening a can of worms for no reason going with arp mains.
ericb382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:44 PM   #9
Hnl_sr20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
big gap between 350 and 450. Then you said 350 to 400.

Stock engine I would trust all day at 320-350rwhp.
380+ recommend a forged piston.

'cookie cutter build' for stock motor is usually a 40lb/min turbo
Sorry my fault. In the future I would love to see 450. Sorry for the confusion I meant 350 to 400 as of now. I ordered Manley rods and wiseco pistons. 9:1. But I’m just making sure that the stock main bolts can handle the power goal I’m looking for.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:45 PM   #10
Hnl_sr20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb382 View Post
Run stock bolts. They won’t have a problem at that power level. If you do arp studs you will need a line hone. That's also an operation that a lot of machine shops don’t get right. So you’re opening a can of worms for no reason going with arp mains.
What’s the most could those stock bolts hold up to? Couldn’t really find a good answer to it. Just a lot of ball parks
Old 04-21-2018, 10:06 PM   #11
LayNLow
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
LayNLow is making a name for him/her selfLayNLow is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had a similar issue. Built my motor with arp mains, and ended up not being able to turn the crank way before the specified toque value. Threw OEM bolts in it and it was as smooth as a babys butt. Some people have luck with it, others don't.