Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #1
Joshhankins5

Trader Rating: (0)
Joshhankins5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RB25DET H-Beam Manley Rods?

I'm currently building my RB25 and I'm wondering peoples thoughts on Manley H beam rods and what they can hold. Manley tells me they top out at 800whp. I want to build my motor to around 700whp maybe a tad bit more.
Current parts that I have:
Weisco Pistons 86.5mm
Stronger piston/rod pins
Manley H beam Rods
ACL Race main/rod bearings
Re balanced crank
Extended crank collar
N1 Oil pump
Billet Oil pump gears
N1 water pump
MLS 87mm head gasket
ARP main and head bolts
Fully build head
Tomei Pro Cams
AEM EMS 2 standalone
Gates racing timing belt

I will be running the stock turbo for a couple moths while I buy my new turbo, manifold, wastegates, etc.

My main question is will the H beam rods hold 700whp? Do the rods fail at high rpm?
Joshhankins5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2016, 10:33 AM   #2
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Each Manley H-beam rod is rated different, for example an SR20det H beam hold less power than LSX H beams. So make sure you double check your exact part number on the Manley website, I say this because I want to say the SR ones hold about 600hp, but you also have 2 extra cylinders to even out load.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #3
Joshhankins5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
Each Manley H-beam rod is rated different, for example an SR20det H beam hold less power than LSX H beams. So make sure you double check your exact part number on the Manley website, I say this because I want to say the SR ones hold about 600hp, but you also have 2 extra cylinders to even out load.
I just double checked their website. It shows 1000hp for rb25det/rb26. The website I bought them from told me 800hp though.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #4
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Well that's 166hp per cylinder roughly, so it doesn't sound so extreme. I would always go with the manufactures website. Make sure you're also measuring to see which rod bolts you have, different sizes hold different power.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
OutToWinPAHC
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
OutToWinPAHC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OutToWinPAHC
Ive personally seen stock rods go into the 900's. It not hp or torque it load, torque loading, and the tuning. If you wetstack or detonate you will have issues. You build is similar to one of mine and I would feel very comfortable making power at 800whp there. However you should look into ARP mains, line boring and a better oil pump... N1 is still powdered metal, the gear is junk. A gear upgrade is a must. I'd also suggest solid lifter and lumpy cams that suit that turbo.
OutToWinPAHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
Joshhankins5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutToWinPAHC View Post
Ive personally seen stock rods go into the 900's. It not hp or torque it load, torque loading, and the tuning. If you wetstack or detonate you will have issues. You build is similar to one of mine and I would feel very comfortable making power at 800whp there. However you should look into ARP mains, line boring and a better oil pump... N1 is still powdered metal, the gear is junk. A gear upgrade is a must. I'd also suggest solid lifter and lumpy cams that suit that turbo.
Cool thanks for the advice. I was thinking these rods should do fine. I was just seeing if anyone has had any experience with them. I actually have a friend with a 800hp rb25det running the N1 oil pump with the upgraded Billet gears and a extended crank collar like I will be doing. The turbo Ill be running is a Precision 6466 as well. I am doing solid lifter as well. What exactly is "wetstacking" and "detonating"?
Old 03-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
OutToWinPAHC
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
OutToWinPAHC is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OutToWinPAHC
wetstacking is when fuel pools up and compression increases and a rod bends, detonation is another motor killer, addressed via good tunes and fuel. 6466 is good, just keep it divided with twin gates.
OutToWinPAHC is offline   Reply With Quote