Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:01 PM   #1
LtSlayer
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
LtSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR intake gasket reuse?

I bought two metal intake gaskets for both the collector and intake manifold. I installed them but something was wrong so I had to remove them again. They seem to be a metal compression gasket so I'm not sure If i could reuse them or have to buy new ones since they're virtually flat now. They have like 2 miles on them

On a similar note does anyone know the torque spec for the collector half of the intake manifold? I might just go hand tight plus a quarter turn if I can't find out, thanks
LtSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2020, 01:43 AM   #2
lok
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
lok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond reputelok has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Should be fine. I've reused mine when having to go back in after reinstall and had no problem

Boost leak test if you have doubts

For torque, download the FSM and use the what they call out. Even it's the s15 since there isn't an s13 english. It will get you in the ball park and isn't too critical.
lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
DiscountPirate
Zilvia Member

DiscountPirate is an unknown quantity at this point
It is wise to keep a stash a used good parts just in case. Even if it's a $20 part it's better to keep a spare than throw in the trash. As far as torque imo unless it's an internal or mechanical part just torque it down (in the correct pattern) until they are all tight. Using both hands and a medium length handle socket wrench helps to feel it out.
DiscountPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:23 PM   #4
LtSlayer
Leaky Injector

LtSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds good I’ll make sure to check it out
LtSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:12 PM   #5
Goldfinger95

Goldfinger95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Long as my gaskets don't look like they've been through war, I reuse them. As far as torquing goes, I've found an impact gun works best for mostly everything on these cars.
Goldfinger95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:14 AM   #6
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger95 View Post
Long as my gaskets don't look like they've been through war, I reuse them. As far as torquing goes, I've found an impact gun works best for mostly everything on these cars.
impact gun on a 12mm nut???
DUDE. NO.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:17 PM   #7
Atill93
Leaky Injector

Atill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-knownAtill93 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
lmao if it strips, it strips
Atill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #8
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atill93 View Post
lmao if it strips, it strips

Quote:
Old 01-05-2021, 04:35 PM   #9
Goldfinger95

Goldfinger95 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've never had one issue using my 3/8's dewalt compact on the two s14's I've worked on. To each their own.
Goldfinger95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:29 AM   #10
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
I've never had one issue using my 3/8's dewalt compact on the two s14's I've worked on. To each their own.
tomayto tomahto.

if you're in my shop and ask me for an impact gun, you're getting a 1/2" gun.

Quote:
Old 01-11-2021, 03:23 PM   #11
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
When I was new to cars and very young I Picked up a 1/2 air impact gun in a serious shop and pulled the trigger stupidly just because. It had a 1/2" Swivel on it, leaning over to the side, so of course it shot off the gun like a bullet and could have seriously fucked somebody up, including me.

Those air guns are not trifles. I've seen alot of 'shops' using them but I would never assemble my car using one, not directly anyways (use a torque wrench for the final setting)

That said, sometimes its a bolt somewhere you really really don't want to come loose, and its just too far to reach for traditional hand tools... The air impact separates the real mechanics getting a job done in 5 minutes vs 2 hours of busting your knuckles with some hand tool.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote