Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
sr20powerd
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
sr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Odd Tire Wear

Please excuse the MS paint but I cant find my camera cable. On the inside of my tire, the tread is wearing funny, the tread block are not at the same level after the tread void, the next block is higher 1-2mm. This is just after about 4k miles. The car is lowered but it is only happening on the right side.

The red part is lower than the green
sr20powerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
nixad
Zilvia Member

nixad has made poor choicesnixad has made poor choicesnixad has made poor choicesnixad has made poor choicesnixad has made poor choicesnixad has made poor choices
bad ballance or just cheap rubber
nixad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
sr20powerd
Leaky Injector

sr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of lightsr20powerd is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixad View Post
bad ballance or just cheap rubber
I have two sets of wheels and it's doing it to both so a problem with the wheel/tire is out of the question
Old 02-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #4
rhs13
Leaky Injector

rhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to rhs13 Send a message via Yahoo to rhs13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20powerd View Post
I have two sets of wheels and it's doing it to both so a problem with the wheel/tire is out of the question
you need an alignment. damper might also need replacing.

PS are you just driving it from A to B, or sliding around?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
sr20powerd
Leaky Injector

Driving from a-b. By damper, do you mean shock?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
ho1ywars
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
ho1ywars is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
bad struts will cause chop
ho1ywars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
or uh.. camber?

Do you have any adjustability? 240s are notorious for having 1 side camber more than the other. (unless properly aligned)
Old 02-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
rhs13
Leaky Injector

rhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant futurerhs13 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Driving from a-b. By damper, do you mean shock?
yes.

damper/shock/strut

toe-may-toe / toe-mah-toe
Old 02-14-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
sr20powerd
Leaky Injector

I have tien HA's that are fairly new, about 18k. I hope that that wouldn't be the case, but i also wouldn't be supprised.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #10
nixad
Zilvia Member

nixad has made poor choicesnixad has made poor choicesnixad has made poor choicesnixad has made poor choicesnixad has made poor choicesnixad has made poor choices
Quote:
I have tien HA's that are fairly new, about 18k. I hope that that wouldn't be the case, but i also wouldn't be supprised.
ok so get a alignment check and rebalance and if its still the case ur dampering is f'in up
nixad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #11
bigOdom1
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
bigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
get an alignment with little toe and see if it helps
bigOdom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #12
sr20powerd
Leaky Injector

Just out of curiosity, but what in the alignment would cause it? Camber,Caster,Toe?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #13
rhs13
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, but what in the alignment would cause it? Camber,Caster,Toe?
probably all of the above. if you dont have adjustable toe/traction/rear upper arms and just slammed the car, you'd most likely have a good amount of positive toe and negative camber.

this is because the rear suspension was designed to toe out under squat/load/compression.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:05 PM   #14
sr20powerd
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhs13 View Post
probably all of the above. if you dont have adjustable toe/traction/rear upper arms and just slammed the car, you'd most likely have a good amount of positive toe and negative camber.

this is because the rear suspension was designed to toe out under squat/load/compression.
I keep realizing that I left so much info out. It's the left front tire on the inside, it has tension rods and camber plates(like all coilovers)
Old 02-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #15
rhs13
Leaky Injector

Quote:
I keep realizing that I left so much info out. It's the left front tire on the inside, it has tension rods and camber plates(like all coilovers)
well in that case, get the alignment shop to check all of the above, assuming you know of a place that has that kind of capability.

i'd also recommend NOT putting all kinds of negative camber in the front.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #16
vaughn4
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
vaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to beholdvaughn4 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
did you ever get a good alignment after the coilovers? you are more than likely running a little toe in the front. get an alignment, however that tire will not wear down like it should. once a tire gets cupped like that it will stay like that.
vaughn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #17
rhs13
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn4 View Post
did you ever get a good alignment after the coilovers? you are more than likely running a little toe in the front. get an alignment, however that tire will not wear down like it should. once a tire gets cupped like that it will stay like that.
werd. good point.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #18
zavala
Leaky Injector

zavala is making a name for him/her selfzavala is making a name for him/her self
toe and a tire being out of balance is what causes a tire to "cup" like that. and since you said it's not the wheel/tire balance then it's the toe. you have camber, caster, and toe. camber and toe are the two that cause tire wear, camber is usually bald shoulders either inside or out and toe causes the cupping cause the tire is literally not pointed straight forward and it's being forced across the pavement.
zavala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:41 PM   #19
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

kouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kouki_s14
if the shock is going bad then the tire can hop causing the tire to wear that way.
kouki_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote