Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
CA18 Gurus Help! Need to identify a valve

So I'm about to drop my ca18 in this weekend and am mostly done prepping the engine but I can't seem to figure out where this green valve on the block connects to. At first I thought it was part of the pcv system but after tracing the lines it seems that is not the case (although if the pcv system is as convoluted as the butterfly setup on this motor I could very well be missing something). Does anyone know what this valve is and where it connects too? I can't seem to find anything about it online and I have been unable to locate any reference to it in the fsm. I have a European fsm so I'm thinking it might be a Japan only thing since the European Ca engines have quite a few differences. Pics are below, any help would be greatly appreciated!

So you can get a idea of where its located in relation to the intake side of the motor

The hose that runs directly below the valve is part of the pcv system that is connected to the rear of the valve cover and runs to the oil filter housing. I don't see any place for it to T into the system or connect to the manifold, which has me thinking that it is not pcv related but as I said before I could be wrong...
Rustys14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
s13mikesr20
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
s13mikesr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
so it deals with oil or vaccum or both

that looks like antifreeze under it my guess would be turbo water line feed.cant be return because thats located on the hot side that my .2
s13mikesr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13mikesr20 View Post
so it deals with oil or vaccum or both

that looks like antifreeze under it my guess would be turbo water line feed.cant be return because thats located on the hot side that my .2
That was one of my first thoughts as well but the water line to feed the turbo comes from a port on top of the intake manifold. It looks like coolant in the picture but seems to actually be some sort of clear glue or sealant that is around the valve (it doesn't look green in person, I think the reflection from the camera flash gave it that tint in the picture). I'm pretty sure it deals with vacuum or oil as well but I can't for the life of me figure out where it goes. This engine came from a bone stock 180 with 72,000kms so I'm fairly certain that its from the factory and not part of a modification that someone made but I could be wrong.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
ANDY black s13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
ANDY black s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That would be the Knock sensor
ANDY black s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
That would be the Knock sensor
Haha, just looked it up and your right! Thanks a lot man, that's the weirdest looking knock sensor I've ever seen. I feel really stupid now
Old 07-30-2014, 04:34 AM   #6
ANDY black s13
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustys14 View Post
Haha, just looked it up and your right! Thanks a lot man, that's the weirdest looking knock sensor I've ever seen. I feel really stupid now
No worries mate,and dont feel stupid as we had someone ask were is the water pump on a CA? on sxoc yesterday
Old 07-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
Nategreat923
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Nategreat923 is making a name for him/her selfNategreat923 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I like how he can locate his computer, log onto SXOC, and start a new thread, yet can't find the water pump LOL
Nategreat923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
ANDY black s13
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nategreat923 View Post
I like how he can locate his computer, log onto SXOC, and start a new thread, yet can't find the water pump LOL
yes to most its obvious,
but he is a noob to the world of rusty old datsuns and all the fun (constant maintenance)