Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-28-2018, 09:10 PM   #1
k00laid83
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
k00laid83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Power Steering Fittings

Hello Everyone,

So a couple of years back I created a thread gauging interest on who would be interested in buying S-Chassis specific PS fittings. I've been in contact with a manufacturer who will make the PS fittings, and before I go all in I want to see if members would be interested. The S-Chassis specific PS fittings will be made in brass or steel. I'm leaning towards brass to avoid rusty fittings. I'm avoiding aluminum since I've experienced aluminum fittings snapping on me.

The reason I've looked into this was that I was tired of my steering rack always leaking ps fluid, because of fittings that came in my kit were to short. I tried everything to stop the leak, like slapping a bunch of sealant on the threads, crush washers, washers with rubber seals, and different fittings. None of that worked and my rack still leaked. I was fed up so I ended up making my own fittings from the original lines and welding them to -6an bungs. Since, I've done that I haven't had one single leak for over a year. Now I'm looking into having fittings made and wanted to see if the community would be interested in something like this.

Last edited by k00laid83; 04-12-2018 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Removed old pricing so there aren't any confusions
k00laid83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2018, 09:33 PM   #2
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
I would be interested

Also in search of replacing the banjo bolt and banjo bolt extender with a -AN fitting and line for fitment
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #3
tongva
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
tongva is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
PS fluid is messy when there’s a leak.. would give this a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tongva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:38 PM   #4
k00laid83
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
I would be interested

Also in search of replacing the banjo bolt and banjo bolt extender with a -AN fitting and line for fitment
Thanks for the heads up. As for that banjo fitting, try a 16mm x 1.5 fitting to 6an. That's what I'm using for the pump but I'm still using the banjo itself.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:02 AM   #5
los_inc
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
los_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond reputelos_inc has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to los_inc
i would like a set. <3
Old 03-01-2018, 08:01 AM   #6
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Curious why they're sold in pairs when typically the one to leak is the high pressure line going into the rack.

Edit: not to burst your bubble, but chasebays offers a revised fitting which you can buy on their website for like $10. I have a comparson picture between their old fitting and their new one and the middle is definitely thinner to let the o ring get further into the rack. If I recall, there was about an .080" difference between fittings when I measured.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Curious why they're sold in pairs when typically the one to leak is the high pressure line going into the rack.

Edit: not to burst your bubble, but chasebays offers a revised fitting which you can buy on their website for like $10. I have a comparson picture between their old fitting and their new one and the middle is definitely thinner to let the o ring get further into the rack. If I recall, there was about an .080" difference between fittings when I measured.
Maybe that one isn't made in China :lol:

to the OP: I use a steel fitting at the rack that you can actually put some torque into and it's given me zero issues.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #8
k00laid83
Zilvia Junkie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post

I just took a look at their revised fittings and it looks the same as the ones that I was provided. When I had the issue chasebays did send me a different set, but it still leaked. When my rack was leaking I had a leak come from both the high and low pressure line. Once I welded bungs to my old lines my leaking problem went away.

What I'm going to sell will be both PS fittings with o-rings. The low pressure side will be an o-ring fitting as well. I want to ensure I provide something that ensures there are no leaks.

I attached pictures of my old fittings for comparison.

Last edited by k00laid83; 12-13-2019 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: Fixing all of the photobucket issues
Old 03-01-2018, 09:34 AM   #9
k00laid83
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Maybe that one isn't made in China :lol:

to the OP: I use a steel fitting at the rack that you can actually put some torque into and it's given me zero issues.
I've thought of getting steel fittings, the only issue I considered was it rusting. I'm thinking about people out in the east coast. I had set in my mind that brass would help with the rust issue.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #10
240KA
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i'd be interested.

could you PM me a link to the $14 aluminum ones? i'm curious
240KA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #11
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
weld AN fitting to stock fitting.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #12
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I've bought multiple high pressure fittings over the years ranging from Earl's to the cheapest I could find on eBay, none of them leaked. So I'm calling bs on the high pressure line being the most common one to leak. The low pressure one is the one you have to get fittings machined down so they seat correctly. I need one myself but the only one I can find is the guy on here selling the pair for almost $70 which is a bit ridiculous imo
Old 03-01-2018, 12:36 PM   #13
k00laid83
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
I've bought multiple high pressure fittings over the years ranging from Earl's to the cheapest I could find on eBay, none of them leaked. So I'm calling bs on the high pressure line being the most common one to leak. The low pressure one is the one you have to get fittings machined down so they seat correctly. I need one myself but the only one I can find is the guy on here selling the pair for almost $70 which is a bit ridiculous imo
You can call BS but mine leaked until I welded up 6an bungs to my stock lines
Old 03-01-2018, 01:06 PM   #14
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Didn't say they never leak for people, I said it's not the most common one to leak.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:49 PM   #15
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Comparison shot of my chasebays fittings.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:51 PM   #16
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
One thing to note: in a quick 10 sec search via Google, I uncovered no fewer than 5 companies which either make the line(s), the proper (longer) fittings or both as a package (and this is outside of ISR and ChasBays).

Just something to keep in mind.

The $70 set on here is just outrageous. I think I saw the set as cheap at $22 + shipping (so maybe $30 total). Albeit AL fittings.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:27 PM   #17
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Have a link to the low side fitting? I haven’t been able to find a longer one
Old 03-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #18
Mitsubayati
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
Mitsubayati is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mitsubayati
also interested in low side fitting. As far as kits, I've used the ISR one with their rack fitting and haven't had any issues at the rack. The PS pump side washer/seal is garbage though. Leaked immediately. I used a copper washer in front of it and it worked.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:19 PM   #19
NismoPlsr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (21)
NismoPlsr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Yea dudes, here is a pair for cheaper than I can get fittings prior to re-oping. These didn't exist a couple years ago. They look like they would fit and seal pretty good. Anyone try them yet?

https://www.cutwormspecialties.com/p...ck-an-fittings
Old 03-04-2018, 09:55 PM   #20
Smurf_240SX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Smurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choicesSmurf_240SX has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Smurf_240SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoPlsr View Post
Yea dudes, here is a pair for cheaper than I can get fittings prior to re-oping. These didn't exist a couple years ago. They look like they would fit and seal pretty good. Anyone try them yet?

I purchased some about a week ago, quality seems really good. Have yet to actually try them out, still rebuilding my car, but can't wait to try them out.

FS OEM RB25 PARTS
Smurf_240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #21
k00laid83
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:

I've seen that company, and the fittings look great. I'm interested in fittings other than aluminum. I've had bad experiences with AL fittings.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #22
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
If the oring is sealing properly, there's no need to crank the fitting down so tightly to seal on a crush washer. Thus you shouldn't be stripping or snapping off the fitting.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #23
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Quote:

You the best. Will be ordering one of these for sure
Old 03-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #24
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:

That's the set I was referring to in my post

Why are people so keen on NOT running AL?? If the fitting is built correctly, one should NOT have to crank down on it and strip threads/destroy fittings. If you are destroying fittings or have some aversion to AL, you are doing something wrong
Old 03-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #25
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
So is it common practice to keep the high pressure line connector to the pump or to remove it?
I usually see it done both ways as the fitting usually supplied with most kits can be installed into this connector, or you can remove it and install straight into the pump itself. Thing is I believe the banjo bolt securing the connector to the pump is actually also a pressure regulator. Would be interesting to find out if people with PS issues did or did not retain it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.G View Post
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #26
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I have replaced it before but its a pain to keep it from not leaking vs. over tightening... I have usually retained it in my rebuilds.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:58 AM   #27
240KA
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice240KA is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
So is it common practice to keep the high pressure line connector to the pump or to remove it?
I usually see it done both ways as the fitting usually supplied with most kits can be installed into this connector, or you can remove it and install straight into the pump itself. Thing is I believe the banjo bolt securing the connector to the pump is actually also a pressure regulator. Would be interesting to find out if people with PS issues did or did not retain it.
If this man says to keep it on, i'm keeping mine on. this was back in 2013. maybe he's learned something new since then :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
The cast iron pump output is needed. I ditched it and used a fitting straight off the pump and it killed the thing over the course of a couple of months. Not sure what its real purpose is, but it's needed.
240KA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:19 AM   #28
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:

So glad you posted this link, just ordered a set! I think these might finally be the ticket to keeping my ChaseBays kit from leaking at the rack. I have a brand new HICAS rack sitting in the garage waiting to replace the standard rack so hopefully the new rack coupled with these fittings will finally solve my powersteering woes...
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:23 AM   #29
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Quote:

These look like they would do the trick- good find.

I had this issue with my Chase Bays kit. After trying numerous different fittings and tricks I read in many old threads, I picked up these fittings from Allstar and had a friend machine them down for me. No leaks since:

This is a good thread- will solve a lot of people's headaches for sure!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #30
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Everybody here is mad this didn't exist in previous years.