Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
Felipe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Felipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
4k ultra hd tv's?

I was so I even made them put on a Blu-ray dvd (because they was running a 4k demo)and still was like until I saw the price, then I was like lol

are they really worth it?
Late Night Crew #1
Felipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
If you have the cash, heck yeah!

Seriously, there's no real content, but it's coming. Everything that I've viewed on 4K displays had an amazing image. There was great added depth to the image. I'm more sold on 4K tech with front projectors. My last projector was a 4K lite model, so it wasn't true 4K spec. It was rather close, and I LOVED the image it produced.

The demos I had of Sony's true 4K spec projector was $14,000. I'm hoping to see them under $10,000 in the next year or two. I'm still in the planning phase for my basement so I have time

I'm planning to buy one to replace the 55" LED I have in my loft space, I'm just waiting for the larger sizes (65"+ models) to be priced under $5K Canadian. CES is in a week so hopefully I'll see something up my alley.
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i barely got my step pops a bluray player. I think my fam here doesn't see much difference between 720 and 1080p lol.

Give it some time I say.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
WIKID S4TEEN
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
WIKID S4TEEN is making a name for him/her selfWIKID S4TEEN is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yeah, goggle Sony 84" UHD.
$24K LOL
Old 01-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #5
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
right now, 4k content is missing. unless you like pc media/photo/gaming with massively dope resolution.

for tvs I would wait a little bit. wait for content and technology to mature...like oled 4k and actual true 4k resolution. for monitors that LG 31mu91 true 4k, It's making me itch for it. but, I wish they made a faster response 4k monitor already.

def. the larger the better for 4k
BOROSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #6
Felipe
Post Whore!

Felipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfectionFelipe is close to perfection
I saw them at best buy. they had sony 55" and Samsung 65" the Samsung I made them play BR. he explaind that since the movie is not 4k the tv upconverts it to like 3k or some thing similar. the 65" was at $3k
Late Night Crew #1
Old 01-03-2014, 11:57 PM   #7
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Seriously guys don't let them snow you. Fact is 99% of broadcast is still 720p . Blue Ray is 1080P . 4K? Only people even near that realm are high end graphics. No viewing content yet that is that high. It will be several years before there is considering broadcast has not even gone to 1080 yet. Ya it does not matter cable/ Dish etc.... its just not there.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:08 AM   #8
silverarrow27
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
silverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
^^^True, I think the only movie available in true 4K is The Hobbit only according to an article I read a while back about the movie and Peter Jackson. I would definitely wait on getting these overpriced televisions until more content is available to actually utilize 4K.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:58 AM   #9
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverarrow27 View Post
^^^True, I think the only movie available in true 4K is The Hobbit only according to an article I read a while back about the movie and Peter Jackson. I would definitely wait on getting these overpriced televisions until more content is available to actually utilize 4K.
All the movies on digital cinema projectors since 2012 are 4k. They all run on 300gb hard discs.

The problem is BluRay is 1080p. There is no 4k content optical disc. Cable, Satellite don't have enough bandwidth to be pumping multiple streams of 250 megabit-per-second into peoples houses. They can barely do 720P. Everything is going to be upscaled for a while until a bluray killer emerges.

When setting up (average)peoples equipment, no one can tell 720p from 1080p. I have to hold my tongue when they can't tell 480p from 720p. It kind of pisses me off that they are throwing so much behind 4k TV's when they totally botched 21:9.

Can someone explain why DCP is 4096x2160 but the 4K tvs are 3840x2160? 4K Scope (2.39:1) is 4096x1716 and 4K Flat (1.85:1) is 3996x2160.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
For movies, this could be quick. Storage is a concern, if we move to HEVC on the codec side, even better. HEVC could be a software upgrade for your PS4's, brand new bluray players, etc. So people buy a new TV, upgrade their player, voila! 4K home movies!

Broadcast, whole other story. Over the air stations will probably never do it. Because of bandwidth limitations for both Cable and Satellite, you will definitely need HEVC. This will require new set top boxes so it would have to be a premium service, at least initially.

HBO and ESPN in 4K are definitely possible. All content will be upscaled from 1080p60 to 4K initially, it will still look great. Native 4K live content will come when the HEVC codec matures.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post

Can someone explain why DCP is 4096x2160 but the 4K tvs are 3840x2160? 4K Scope (2.39:1) is 4096x1716 and 4K Flat (1.85:1) is 3996x2160.
it has to do with tvs sizes / aspect ratio 1.78:1 so, resolution is watered down. I guess they call it industry standard 4k 3840x2160.

monitors can run ultra wide and the wider format is becoming more popular. i expect to see more true 4k res 4096x2160. its a great direction because multi monitor setups are a pain.
BOROSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #12
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsdude View Post
720p/1080p looks good enough anyways. if you want your picture to look even more realistic than that, then just go outside and look at real stuff lol

edit:
this kind of stuff always happen-remember when 1080p was brand new, and the tv's capable of such resolutions were so expensive? just wait out the initial hype and the technology will get cheaper.
Meh, flag ship models always demand top dollars for the best PQ. It's not to say that the technology overall will not trickle down to cheaper models, but they won't share the same overall quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
The funny thing about all this stuff is I have come to prefer the picture on a Plasma be it 1080P or 720P over the picture on a LED backlit LCD. The LED TV pic is just strange to me. It does not look like you are watching analog or digital film. That may seem strange but its just something I have noticed.
Nah, motion is a lot better on plasma sets overall. The only set I've seen that has come close, were Sony's XBR series units. Samsung is getting better, but for LED, it's a Sony that you're after (and this is coming from someone who owns both a high end Samsung LED and plasma set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOROSUN View Post
it has to do with tvs sizes / aspect ratio 1.78:1 so, resolution is watered down. I guess they call it industry standard 4k 3840x2160.

monitors can run ultra wide and the wider format is becoming more popular. i expect to see more true 4k res 4096x2160. its a great direction because multi monitor setups are a pain.
Well stated...
Old 01-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #13
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
Nah, motion is a lot better on plasma sets overall. The only set I've seen that has come close, were Sony's XBR series units. Samsung is getting better, but for LED, it's a Sony that you're after (and this is coming from someone who owns both a high end Samsung LED and plasma set.

I know that, its why I own and love my Panasonic Plasma. I was just commenting on how odd LED/LCD's look in comparison. Of course I have not checked out the Sony XBR's.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 01-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #14
upsdude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
upsdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
720p/1080p looks good enough anyways. if you want your picture to look even more realistic than that, then just go outside and look at real stuff lol

edit:
this kind of stuff always happen-remember when 1080p was brand new, and the tv's capable of such resolutions were so expensive? just wait out the initial hype and the technology will get cheaper.
upsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #15
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

The funny thing about all this stuff is I have come to prefer the picture on a Plasma be it 1080P or 720P over the picture on a LED backlit LCD. The LED TV pic is just strange to me. It does not look like you are watching analog or digital film. That may seem strange but its just something I have noticed.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:18 AM   #16
Felipe
Post Whore!

a aint going that big, more like 55"-60". 65" is too big for me
Late Night Crew #1
Old 01-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #17
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
I own a 50" Panasonic. I was going to go 42 but the right deal came along on the 50 and now I cannot see going any smaller. lol Smaller sets look tiny.

New Video
Buy my mounts!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #18
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Quote:
That's what she said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
I own a 50" Panasonic. I was going to go 42 but the right deal came along on the 50 and now I cannot see going any smaller. lol Smaller sets look tiny.
It's funny how when I look at someone's set up and they want to put a certain size TV in and I tell them they should get the next size up. Most of the time they end up swapping it out for the next size up.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #19
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

I always say to buy the largest display you can for your space. Nothing is worse then buyers remorse...
Old 01-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #20
Felipe
Post Whore!

im looking at 60" tvs 55" is ok, but I know with tvs its "go big or go home"
Late Night Crew #1
Old 01-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #21
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
im looking at 60" tvs 55" is ok, but I know with tvs its "go big or go home"
How long is the throw distance? TV to seat backs.
Optimum HDTV viewing distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like Samsung's new UHD TVs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tqRyzTvNKE
Old 01-07-2014, 08:44 PM   #22
Felipe
Post Whore!

my throw is good for that size. I can even do 65" but don't have the tv space for it.

now I have to wait for 4k content (movies), buy a good 4k player for my 4k tv with hdmi 4k cable... ugh ( upgrade everything. that's not gonna happen till 2yrs min?
Late Night Crew #1
Old 01-08-2014, 05:36 AM   #23
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Quote:
my throw is good for that size. I can even do 65" but don't have the tv space for it.

now I have to wait for 4k content (movies), buy a good 4k player for my 4k tv with hdmi 4k cable... ugh ( upgrade everything. that's not gonna happen till 2yrs min?
It's a damn shame that these companies are not working together on an actual standard for distribution of the signal, and media.

Right now it's all up in the air. The only company who's willing to double down is Samsung. If you currently buy one of their 4K tv's, they will update the distribution box (HDMI) for the next 4 years if the tech changes (and a actual standard come out).
Old 01-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #24
Felipe
Post Whore!

damm you 4K lol

now even the 4K tvs the 3D picture will drop down to 720p? thats no bueno on a 60" and up... heck 720p on a 55 makes me kinda ehhh o.O lol
Late Night Crew #1
Old 01-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #25
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
damm you 4K lol

now even the 4K tvs the 3D picture will drop down to 720p? thats no bueno on a 60" and up... heck 720p on a 55 makes me kinda ehhh o.O lol
No, 4k 3D is two 2k images.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #26
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Quote:
No, 4k 3D is two 2k images.
So it would either be 1920*2160 or 2840*1080.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:34 PM   #27
S14DB
AFC #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
So it would either be 1920*2160 or 2840*1080.
1920×1080 for UHDTV(16:9).
Old 01-21-2014, 09:34 PM   #28
Felipe
Post Whore!

Quote:
1920×1080 for UHDTV(16:9).
Late Night Crew #1
Old 02-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #29
Felipe
Post Whore!

so I decided to set aside this beautiful monster of definition and just focus on whats in now. Even tho I will end up buying this sht few years down the road and replacing all of blueray crap lol but for now...

so far im liking.. 240hz and up, Samsung, 3d, 55 - 60... stick to plasma or go led?
Late Night Crew #1
Old 02-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #30
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Quote:
so I decided to set aside this beautiful monster of definition and just focus on whats in now. Even tho I will end up buying this sht few years down the road and replacing all of blueray crap lol but for now...

so far im liking.. 240hz and up, Samsung, 3d, 55 - 60... stick to plasma or go led?
If you have a more lighted controlled room, I'd go with plasma. Better motion, and colour accuracy. And this is coming from a guy who owns both a high end plasma and LED set.