Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 12-08-2019, 05:36 PM   #1
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
What would you buy for 5k?

We are trying to limit payments. So I can easily get a small loan and pay it in the year then only have one payment

I know there are tons of cool cars out there. Right now I'm stuck on this clean 7.3 F250. But when things go wrong on them it gets expensive fast (service advisor at Ford)

I drive a 2017 Fiesta ST now but plan on giving it to my lady so she doesn't need to have an old car. I don't care, I just want one less payment but also don't want a 2k corolla cause I'll loose my mind driving it. Ideas?
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #2
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
e30 if you can find one, or e36.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
K_never_broke_again
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
K_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
personally i’d get an older model saab, 95 or 93 from the early 2000s. my family has two, they’ve got turbos, they’re quiet, very nice to drive, good sound system and other luxury’s like heated seats. they’re also easy to find in manual, easy to self tune, and i’m gonna be honest the 95 sedan i drive frequently gets more comments than my 240(not sure how i feel about that). i haven’t checked prices recently but you can probably find one for under 3k. the main downside is saab is out of business but if you’re willing to do your own maintenance it’s really shouldn’t be a problem.
K_never_broke_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #4
shinhed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
shinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of lightshinhed is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Year 2000-ish Toyota Tacoma single cab. Reliable, easy to work on, and a truck.
shinhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #5
future
Post Whore!

future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
I definitely do my own work, I come from three s13s, and a HR (best car I ever had) but got rid of that and my beater for the Fiesta for ease of a car seat.

I've got sense and think a truck is stupid because I drive like 500 miles a week. I wish I could be normal and buy a old camry for 2k and daily it but I'm a car guy so I'd loose it.

Sabb scare me cause I think parts are expensive? And also working on it worries me to. I think of it like BMWs and German cars which are a pain. I was looking at Avalons right now. Yes boring, but damn reliable and crazy room along with comfortable. But I'd likely lose it.

GS300s seem cool but I'd want the GS400 and can't seem to find any online.

Plus for the daily
Stick shift
Japanese
Turbo?
Cheap to maintain

I'd love a 2.5 RS but stock are impossible to find smh. A legacy GT would be sick too but can't find any
Old 12-08-2019, 08:02 PM   #6
future
Post Whore!

Wait......wtf are these? Tell me more about them! This one is so cheap I think it fake

Fun to Drive Saab 9-3 - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale
https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/c...034252777.html
Old 12-08-2019, 08:17 PM   #7
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
SAABURU!! SAAB with a boxer engine or GM parts bin. [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
K_never_broke_again
Leaky Injector

K_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
Wait......wtf are these? Tell me more about them! This one is so cheap I think it fake

Fun to Drive Saab 9-3 - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale
https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/c...034252777.html
ayyye get hip bro! this is a pretty normal price for a saab, like I said they're hella cheap and you get pretty good value for what you pay. not sure about part prices, i'd have to ask my dad. Repair difficulty hasn't been too bad for me personally, but my dad has more experience than me. I think he's done half axles a few times without too much difficulty, he also did a rear main seal the other day which only took him a few hours(first time doing it). overall they've been pretty reliable, the 2001 95 sedan my family bought a few years ago was only like $1200, and the only issues it's had was a/c and a coolant hose leak, with plenty of miles put on it. both of them are getting close to 200k miles so maintenance is getting more frequent as expected, but they don't feel clunky or anything in any way. some other cool stuff- ignition is in the center console, so when you're friend gets in you can watch them look for it behind the steering wheel lol
Old 12-09-2019, 06:24 AM   #9
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Get a 2003 - 2007 Honda accord. I see that you want a fun car but trust me, you don't want more projects.

The 4 cyl and auto transmission have been reliable in my experience. We bought that car new. We had one starter go out after 10 years, ps pump went out after 13 years of service, and vtec solenoid was taking a crap after almost 14 years. Car was rear ended right before I was going to replace it.

Or you can be like my dumbass and buy another fun car to daily around and constantly worry about suicidal deer, dumbass drivers, door dings, rust, and car thieves.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:32 AM   #10
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

jdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choices
99-00 Civic Si EM1 if you can find a clean stock one or a Honda Fit Sport.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:49 AM   #11
future
Post Whore!

I'm 27, we have a kid.

Now a day later my lady is toying with the idea of taking the older car. I'm really liking a Toyota Avalon for her. Can be had for under 4k and it's a Toyota

And I don't need a project but I need something fun. I've done the boring car before and it lasted a year. I'll loose my mind driving anything boring

If my lady can get over the old car then hey. I keep my Fiesta and we profit

That Saab seems cool. Is it that car that has a WRX motor? Or something different?
Old 12-09-2019, 08:59 AM   #12
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Do you want a daily driver to tote your kid around or a fun car just for you to enjoy? If you want both in one package you're going to need a higher budget.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #13
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Id get a 4x4 4 runner.

Super reliable vehicle and you can go camping/off roading with it.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #14
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30gangsta View Post
e30 if you can find one, or e36.
Correct.

I know of a super-high-mile (over 400k) e30 that'll be coming on the market; it's had all suspension and brake work done fairly recently and has been maintained by the best mechanic I've ever known.

Otherwise, an E36 325i/iS can get 30mpg and outside of VANOS issues, which aren't too expensive, are pretty damn bulletproof. I got 34mpg with mine during a particularly poor month. They look good, too.

I'll be selling my S13 hatch early next year with fresh stock-height suspension. Some adjustable arms. New soft brake lines. New engine and trans mounts. Fresh coolant. Passes smog. ~142k miles, clean title, fresh tires, five-speed, no A/C. It'll probably be priced somewhere around $5k.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:03 PM   #15
K_never_broke_again
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
That Saab seems cool. Is it that car that has a WRX motor? Or something different?
The one in the ad has a straight 4 i believe. The subaru one that 240sx was talking about is the 92-X i think, commonly called the saabaru. It's basically just a rebadged wrx. They're cool but extremely hard to come by
Old 12-09-2019, 07:31 PM   #16
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
I also vouch for fits. Any fit is legit.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:21 PM   #17
future
Post Whore!

I originally wanted a fit before the Fiesta.......
Old 12-09-2019, 10:04 PM   #18
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I like a cheap dd and I've gone through a few.

Best was prob Matrix XRS which I sold for a 2010 Mazda3 hatch 6MT 2.5.

Currently driving a 99 Rav4 which is a lovely old bucket -- I can't tell you why I like it so much but it's great. I've put 13k miles on it this year and it's just rock solid. They have fully depreciated now, too.

For $5k I'm not touching anything but japanese cars. 03-07 Accord is good value -- my wife drives an 05 6MT TSX that we've put 80k miles on in four years and it's been great, too.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:34 PM   #19
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Manual IS300? I've seen some for less than $5k now.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:54 PM   #20
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
i saw this cheap zx-10r for under $5k.
BOROSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:24 AM   #21
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

jdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choicesjdmgtom has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30gangsta View Post
I also vouch for fits. Any fit is legit.
Cant go wrong with a Honda Fit, they come auto or manual + four doors and you can get a fairly new car for cheap, I've seen 08-11 for around 5k. Look up the Spoon Honda Fit, maybe it'll help you make up your mind haha. Like the other dude said, at 5k if you want something some what reliable, I wouldn't touch anything except Japanese cars. you want problems and a money pit? get that Saab.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #22
aymaeid
Zilvia Junkie

aymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-knownaymaeid is making his/her stupidity well-known
I wanted a daily that didn't break the bank and went with a 2008 G35X a year ago. I was also trying to avoid a boring accord or camry. Absolutely love it and great value these days. I paid 5k for a 2008 with 100k miles. It now has 120k and nothing but oil changes and brakes were done. The VQ has plenty of power and easy to maintain. Roomy and all the amenities you'd want in a daily. AWD isnt the best on gas but I'd rather have it than not. I recommend them all the time.
aymaeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #23
future
Post Whore!

My girl was just telling me how she had a Matrix and loved it. I mean hey if she wants one again let's go for it

I really like the Fit and always have. I was Orginally looking ng for a second gen but couldn't find the color I wanted anywhere in a stick. I went to buy a new Yellow one but at the time they didn't make the Fit Sport in stick.....that's how I ended up in. ST a couple years back

Two years and 111k the Fiesta has done its job

My girl also likes the older Rav4 and the fact that you guys have them also makes me want to go that route. Now that we know she is okay with an older car for a couple years it's all what she likes.

But 100% with you guys. For 5k, older, it needs to be Japanese
Old 12-11-2019, 08:27 PM   #24
future
Post Whore!

We are pretty set on the nicest Rav4 we can get for 5k
Old 12-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #25
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
for a strict daily i'd get a G20
or a Toyota Avalon. They're blah but they're surprisingly plush.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:26 PM   #26
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Toyota Corolla...... newest i could get for 5k would be solid daily

Can even scoop a noce sc300 or is300 too
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:35 AM   #27
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Toyota Corolla...... newest i could get for 5k would be solid daily

Can even scoop a noce sc300 or is300 too
is300 gets shit gas mileage and isn't that roomy.
man I wish Nissan had made some econobox ka powered RWD SEDAN in the early-mid90s

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #28
Koukiii
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Koukiii is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Not exactly sure what you're trying to use this vehicle for but if you can stretch your budget a little you can get into a Gen1 Toyota Sequoia. I just recently got turned onto this truck and love what I've been reading about it.

Reliable 4.7L 2UZ V8, came in 4WD, 3rd row seating. Best ones to get are the 05-07 cause they got VVTi and 5 speed auto. I'm looking to spend 6-8K for one with 4WD and under 200K miles to daily drive and tow my S14.
Koukiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #29
jdmgtom
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukiii View Post
Not exactly sure what you're trying to use this vehicle for but if you can stretch your budget a little you can get into a Gen1 Toyota Sequoia. I just recently got turned onto this truck and love what I've been reading about it.

Reliable 4.7L 2UZ V8, came in 4WD, 3rd row seating. Best ones to get are the 05-07 cause they got VVTi and 5 speed auto. I'm looking to spend 6-8K for one with 4WD and under 200K miles to daily drive and tow my S14.
That or the GX470
Old 12-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #30
silverarrow27
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
silverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud ofsilverarrow27 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Bugeye WRX wagon...I'd love me one of those. Especially when you have a kid and might eventually have a second. So much storage room for trips or outings in general.