Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
NashT
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
0 offsets and z brakes

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows if any 0 offset wheels will clear the 30mm z brakes without spacers??

Im currently rocking some 04 g35 rims with a 20mm spacer to clear the calipers.

Im leaning towards 17x7 in front and 17x8 or 8.5 in rears

Any first hand expirence would be much appreciated
NashT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #2
NashT
Zilvia Member

NashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choicesNashT has made poor choices
The wheels I currently have a 03-04 G35 rims that are 17x7 with a 40mm offset and im having to run a 20mm spacer to clear my z32 calipers.

Im wanting to get some nicer rims, but Im really not sure what offset or backspacing I need.
I had some 0 offsets I was running before the 5 lug swap and really liked how aggressive they looked, thats why Im wondering if anyone knows if and what 0 offset wheels will work with no spacers with the z32 brakes
Old 12-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #3
NashT
Zilvia Member

Also im trying to rule out coilover clearances, why im thinking about sticking with a 7" wide wheel
Old 12-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #4
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Just figure out the offset of ur 2004 g35 wheels and then try using an offset calculator that will show u what wheel would work
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:51 PM   #5
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
For Z32 brakes look at the wheel face and back pad height, these aspects matter more than offset. A concave face with a tall back pad will clear without issue, a low offset wheel with a flat face, short back pad and large lip, will not.

For coilover clearance low offset helps a ton, if you are planning to run a +0 wheel you should have no issues unless its super wide.

I'm curious about what 17x7 +0 wheels you found, that is a very odd size unless its a custom built 3pc wheel.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #6
NashT
Zilvia Member

Hey TB thanks for the info man.

The wheels I found are ridler 650's, i dig em just not sure how they would look on a 240.
Specs: staggered 17x7 0 offset 4" backspace, 17x8 0 offset 4.5" backspace

Thanks for the idea of using a wheel offset calculator hadnt thought of that.

Im not set on running a 7" wide, I just see it works with zero interference running the g35 rims currently, and with the needed 20mm spacer to clear the calipers, the wheels are actually hella flush

I know those ridlers are not a traditional choice for our rides but im not trying to be traditional with my aesthetics

Info is much appreciated, so 0 offset is great for clearances depending on rim width, got it.

Sorry guys this wheel shit just doesnt mesh in my head but I know the difference between offset and backspace
Old 12-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #7
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Wheel face design matters more for brake clearance than width/offset.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:46 PM   #8
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Disc is more critical to BBK clearance than offset.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #9
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Thats what I said mang
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #10
NashT
Zilvia Member

Like the backspacing or the actual design of the wheel spokes?

Backspacing is how much distance there is from the hub mounting point to the wheel spokes right? Aka the clearance I need for the z32 calipers right?

Yall might laugh but i think im going to make a mockup out of cardboard so i can visually see the stance and check clearances.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #11
NashT
Zilvia Member

Well screw it ill just get some rfps1

What size 17's offset and width fits z32 and stock fenders?
Old 12-11-2019, 04:18 PM   #12
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashT View Post
Well screw it ill just get some rfps1

What size 17's offset and width fits z32 and stock fenders?
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=z32+wheel+fitment

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #13
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Quote:
Like the backspacing or the actual design of the wheel spokes?

Backspacing is how much distance there is from the hub mounting point to the wheel spokes right? Aka the clearance, I need for the z32 calipers, right?

Yall might laugh but I think I'm going to make a mockup out of cardboard so I can visually see the stance and check clearances.
You're conflating a bunch of different things.

Backspacing is the same as offsets.

Disc size is determined by how thick the mounting pad is that connects to the hub. Higher disc spacing pushes the spokes away from the brakes.

Lower disc size decreases the spacing and usually gives more concave face deign or larger lips on multi-piece wheels.

Seriously this stuff is searchable.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:51 PM   #14
NashT
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
You're conflating a bunch of different things.

Backspacing is the same as offsets.

Disc size is determined by how thick the mounting pad is that connects to the hub. Higher disc spacing pushes the spokes away from the brakes.

Lower disc size decreases the spacing and usually gives more concave face deign or larger lips on multi-piece wheels.

Seriously this stuff is searchable.
Bro, boom light bulb! That was the missing link, now it makes sense to me. Thats what I wasnt understanding, how would you know how long the hub extends based off backspacing and offset.

Ive been googling rim shit all day and I haven't seen disc height anywhere! But yeah thats what was missing.

Not tryn to argue but after reading offset and backspacing are 2 completely different things.

But awesome man, seriously thank you for taking the time to explain that. So now I just need to measure the disc height on my g35 rims and add 20mm and then I will know what length disc height I need to clear my z32 brakes.

I know many of you will think im dumb, but I just didnt have the knowledge, but really thank you guys for bearing with me
Old 12-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #15
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Not tryn to argue but after reading offset and backspacing are 2 completely different things.
offset is the measurement from the centerline of the wheel to the mounting surface where the wheel meets the hub on the car

backspacing is the measurement from the mounting surface where the wheel meets the hub on the car, to the inside lip of the wheel.

great resource that has video explanations, etc.
https://realtruck.com/blog/wheel-off...SAAEgKp4vD_BwE

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:12 AM   #16
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

https://www.more-japan.com/blogs/201...he-disk-types/

Old 01-29-2020, 08:18 AM   #17
KillaGuapo

Trader Rating: (0)
KillaGuapo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Could you post a pic of your car on the wheels

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
KillaGuapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #18
NashT
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaGuapo View Post
Could you post a pic of your car on the wheels

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Im unable to upload any photos on here despite reading the how to.
Feel free to shoot me an email at nash.taylor@hotmail

And id be happy to sent you pictures before and after an alignment

The 17x9 +20 are pretty perfect and have plenty of room for the Z32 calipers