Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #1
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Cool Tricky's JZX100 build (AKA Tricky bought a land yacht!)

Alright, so I figured that I should probably start one of these threads. It will be nice keeping track of progress and being able to ask general questions (and get feedback on plans). I'll go in order of events till we are caught up, but I promise not to skip anything...

So where do I begin? So I've been into S Chassis cars for a while now... I even owned a S15 Silvia. I've always liked the X Chassis cars, but never really gave ownership much thought till Marc's big body build. So I did what any rational person would do... Sell off ALL of my parts I've been collecting over the years and sell the car.

It was honestly a nice break for me (and my savings were happy, and my investor was surprised I kept her busy). Anyways, I started to get the itch to jump back in. I started to work with a local importer last year, and began the process of finding something that ticked off all of the boxes for me. I wasn't fussed on KM's but wanted a stock white (preferably) chaser with a sun roof. I was going back and forth between that and a Mark II, but I like the lines of the Chaser a bit more.

It took a few months, and there were a few cars that I lost out on. I was even thinking about going back to the Nissan world (another S15 or C35 Laurel) when this popped up on the up coming auction list.

Went over the auction sheet, and everything was great, except for the paint. 3.5 Grade with the interior listed as B. The clear is done, but I factored a respray in the budget. In the end, I ended up winning the auction, and I was the new owner of a Chaser!

I decided to have it stored in Japan over the winter to miss the Canadian freeze. It was cool, as it gave me time to plan things out. I was also able to pick up a few things while I was in Japan for TAS (more on my trip to Japan later).

So here it is, waiting to be imported into Canada...

At this point is was the start of winter, and my car was being stored. I was also in the final stages of plans for my Japan trip. I was going to try and hit up as many vendors I could, while doing the usual touristy things. I'd be there for 2 weeks, so hopefully I could make it all happen...

Till the next post...

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...

Last edited by tricky_ab; 07-07-2017 at 08:14 PM..
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Alright so lets continue...

So While the car was in storage, I had flown out to Japan!

It was a trip of a life time, and I can't wait to head back. I went during Tokyo Auto Salon, so I was able to purchase a ton of items without having to drive to various shops...

And TAS was WILD! All of the best project cars that you've seen pictures or video on in person. A bit of a photo dump....

Plus I got to meet quite a few rather interesting people...

Thumbs up all around...

And there's there was the D1 Demo. I was able to hang about in the pits, beyond the ropes. Maybe it was the VIP passes?

I also spoke to Daigo Saito (Super nice guy, and we managed to converse with my terrible Japanese and his okay English. Shout out to his crew for translating the missing bits HAHA....

I also got to visit the Nissan DNA garage... They had EVERY Nissan car you could think of in showroom condition. They also had a ton of race cars on hand...

Hit up Tomei to see what's up...

Super nice staff, and had a lot of fun things out because of TAS...

They even ran the dyno with the 1JZ VVTI bits attached since I had a few questions for my own build...

Also seen how their cams are made...

Then the Up Garage down the street...

Since this is a car form, I've kept it car related... Oh wait... Random Gundam RX78 sighting...

RIP

I did manage to spend a grip in Akihabara, Harajuku, and other places... I've got TONS of pictures, but I'll keep this streamlined. Next update will be when I get home, and when the car arrives...

Good times a head...

Last edited by tricky_ab; 07-07-2017 at 08:51 PM..
Old 05-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Holy shit, subbed.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In for this, 100% in for this.

Congrats on the pickup!
gbaby2089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #5
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Finally, this thread is the Show.... Cant wait for updates man!

Last edited by RB25GUY; 05-12-2017 at 06:51 AM..
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #6
hotrodjoseph
Zilvia Member

hotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura about
Eyyyy good to see this thread happening.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:28 PM   #7
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Yes! In for more
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:34 PM   #8
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Finally!!!

Drive this thing to final Bout pls?
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:26 AM   #9
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Looks like you had a great time! Is this the DSport TAS tour or did you do something else? I did an 8 day tour in 2011 with DSport and we hit a lot of the same places. Definitely looking forward to the rest of this thread!
Old 05-12-2017, 07:33 AM   #10
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by di-devol View Post
Holy shit, subbed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby2089 View Post
In for this, 100% in for this.

Congrats on the pickup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodjoseph View Post
Eyyyy good to see this thread happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
Yes! In for more

Thanks guys... I figured I should start a thread since I post enough other stuff on here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Finally!!!

Drive this thing to final Bout pls?
If I'm not in Europe there's a good possibility I'll make the trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhregartless View Post
Looks like you had a great time! Is this the DSport TAS tour or did you do something else? I did an 8 day tour in 2011 with DSport and we hit a lot of the same places. Definitely looking forward to the rest of this thread!
I did the trip with them in 2010... I decided to fly in early, and use the rails to get around. Do a few days with them on tour, and then rent a car and drive to places I'd like to visit afterwards. It was the most cost effective for me.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #11
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Really jealous you got to see the gundam. Sucks whenever I plan to go there that new one will be up =(.
JrDarknes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:41 AM   #12
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Glad to see this thread. Come out and cruise with us sometime.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #13
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrDarknes View Post
Really jealous you got to see the gundam. Sucks whenever I plan to go there that new one will be up =(.
I believe it's being replaced with the Unicorn Gundam. It's also a bit taller as well. You can still go and see that, and hit up the Gundam Cafe (like I did, total nerd alert but I don't care). RX-78 will forever be in my heart though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph_KYAS13 View Post
Glad to see this thread. Come out and cruise with us sometime.
I keep seeing the pictures, and I'd love to get in on it. We will link up for sure my man!

Old 05-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #14
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
where are the Asian women??
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #15
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Alright, So I came back with a bunch of items from my trip...

Seeing shops first hand, and being able to pick up items in person is AMAZING! It was a shame that the exchange rates were terrible for Canadians. I would have bought a lot more. I can't wait to head back some time soon. Maybe Ebisu or a HKS Premium day...

So remember when I had paid to have the car stored to miss the terrible Canadian frost? Well it was a rather mild winter, so I could have transported it sooner... Oh well... Fast forward a few months, and I had a special delivery! All afternoon I was getting messages from friends who had seen my car heading across the city.

It was FINALLY at home... I was over the moon.

Now on to the "fun" things you get to deal with when a car is in storage for months. The battery was totally flat. I had to run back out to grab a new one in order to check things over, and get it into the garage...

Once that was sorted I was met with the "low fuel" light. I ended up riding dirty to the local 7-11 down the street to fill it up. No tags, no plates, still has the port sheets stuck to the windshield.

Now it's the rather interesting (not really) process of making this street legal for these mean streets of Ontario. But first lets give it a wash...

I got the car registered with the ministry so that I can get temp tags... On to safety and emissions...

Passed both, went back to the ministry with proof of both, and the car is now legal for use!

Party time!!!

Last edited by tricky_ab; 07-07-2017 at 08:54 PM..
Old 05-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #16
franklin93zx
Zilvia FREAK!

franklin93zx is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks rad dude!! If you don't mind me asking. What part of Canada are you living in?
franklin93zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:22 PM   #17
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
(Shakes fist) Damn you Canadians and your not as shitty import laws. So jealous.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #18
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin93zx View Post
Looks rad dude!! If you don't mind me asking. What part of Canada are you living in?
Thanks my man! I live in the Greater Toronto Area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
(Shakes fist) Damn you Canadians and your not as shitty import laws. So jealous.
Universal health care AND import cars! Seriously though it used to be a 10 year wait but they (the government) changed it to 15 year import rule.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #19
franklin93zx
Zilvia FREAK!

franklin93zx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
Thanks my man! I live in the Greater Toronto Area...
Ah, for sure. I could have swore I saw this exact same car when I was visiting a friend in Kelowna last year.
franklin93zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #20
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

I have this thing about purchasing stuff before the car even arrives... I had purchased these because, style over everything right?

I'm pretty sure this was the first thing I had done HAHA...

Much better...

I also want to get the interior up to snuff as I have the dreaded S1 raised dash problem. After doing my homework, I decided to fork over the funds for a carbon cover from Team Julius. It wasn't cheap, but it was driving me CRAZY!

I had placed an ordered a bunch of stuff from Streeter. The rad is tired, and apparently you have to purchase an intake so.... I decided to order a Greddy radiator, intake and hard pipe. I was told it would be a few weeks lead, but that's cool with me.

I also won a auction on YAJ for a fixed seat Bride bracket... I got Streeter to scoop that up for me as well.

Fast forward 2 months (Back ordered from Greddy) and...

...stuff has been showing up to my house...

I'm holding out on installing it till I decided on a few things. I need to stop heading down the proverbial rabbit hole called YAJ... It makes flip flopping so much easier.

Last edited by tricky_ab; 07-07-2017 at 08:59 PM..
Old 06-03-2017, 08:24 PM   #21
towlie
Post Whore!

towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
you damn canadians get all the cool shit
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:34 AM   #22
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Aright, so I started cracking... I decided to install my new Vertex 10 Star steering wheel, and Works Bell QR as the stock steering wheel feels like you're driving a school bus.

At the same time I figured it was proper to install the Bride seat as well...

Oh, and also chucked on the Vertex gold shift knob that I had picked up in Japan (From the Vertex booth at TAS)...

On to the bad news. My rear coilovers are blown. I had a friend pull them, and we checked the rebound... They are toast I'm bouncing around while hitting larger bumps in the roads, so I need to get that sorted. I've got a few coilovers in mind, but I'm hoping to find a nice set used on YAJ or Up garage...

Last edited by tricky_ab; 07-07-2017 at 09:05 PM..
Old 06-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #23
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
You dont want PBM or BC? What do you have in mind?
Old 06-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #24
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
You dont want PBM or BC? What do you have in mind?
Unfortunately PBM does not make a set of coilovers for this chassis. I'm not a big fan of BC to tell you the truth. I've been in a few friends cars with BC's installed, and I wasn't wild about the way the rides felt.

I'm still thinking about Stance or Function Auto, but I'm interested in the front cup setup. The exchange rates are terrible, so I'm not hyped at the $3K US that I'm staring at. I figure if I can get my hands on something cheaper in Japan, I'll bite. I've got a few ideas after speaking to a few vendors, and shops while in Japan. DMAX, GP Sports, Largus/Blitz, Tein is what's on the short list...

Old 06-21-2017, 01:04 PM   #25
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
Unfortunately PBM does not make a set of coilovers for this chassis. I'm not a big fan of BC to tell you the truth. I've been in a few friends cars with BC's installed, and I wasn't wild about the way the rides felt.

I'm still thinking about Stance or Function Auto, but I'm interested in the front cup setup. The exchange rates are terrible, so I'm not hyped at the $3K US that I'm staring at. I figure if I can get my hands on something cheaper in Japan, I'll bite. I've got a few ideas after speaking to a few vendors, and shops while in Japan. DMAX, GP Sports, Largus/Blitz, Tein is what's on the short list...
Can it really be that cheaper from Japan? I have Stance coils on my G35 that I daily drive, and so far I cant complain. The dampening adjustment is pretty noticeable too, but dont take any advice from me.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #26
gbaby2089
Zilvia Addict

gbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfectiongbaby2089 is close to perfection
Quote:
Can it really be that cheaper from Japan? I have Stance coils on my G35 that I daily drive, and so far I cant complain. The dampening adjustment is pretty noticeable too, but dont take any advice from me.
Definitely would not take suspension advice from someone who uses dampening in place of damping.
gbaby2089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:05 AM   #27
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Quote:
Honestly you'd be surprised. I'm talking half of the price of a new set. I won't feel bad spending that amount since the blown rears was an unexpected surprise, and I want to get it sorted sooner then later.

It just sucks that it will cut into money that I was planning to spend elsewhere. Oh well, car builds and all of that...

Quote:
Definitely would not take suspension advice from someone who uses dampening in place of damping.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:32 AM   #28
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:

RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:32 PM   #29
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

I've been looking into making the engine setup a bit cleaner, and simple so I'm looking into deleting the J-Pipe. I'm running into mixed information of needing a tune versus not. Some say that once they deleted it, their cars stall or die at idle. Others state that they have had no issues. The problem is people are using mixed kits or piecing them together so I can't narrow issues down to a specific setup.

Currently speaking to a bunch of Aussies and people from Europe about it. For now I will run the intake pod and continue to do research. Right now I think I'll grab the complete setup from HPI. I like what I had seen in Japan, and I love that it includes all of the hoses, clamps, and caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby2089

Noted

Old 06-28-2017, 11:02 PM   #30
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Damn yall got me. I gave a fair warning though

Tomato tomahto

Last edited by DJTTon; 06-28-2017 at 11:38 PM..
DJTTon is offline   Reply With Quote