Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 10-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #121
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So the only tuner local to me, willing/able to tune the car, is booked solid for a few months, car won't be tuned until early January unfortunately.

I got some of my Panasports back from powder coat, cannot wait to get the rest back and have a set assembled for the car! So far I loosely assembled a single front, high disk face clears the R33 GT25 calipers without issue for a final spec somewhere around 17x9.5 +9. This spec should be perfect for running a 235 KR20 up front with the type 3 fenders.

Since I have some time. I have been giving my other Z32 some attention, cleaned it up and was finally able to get a decent picture of it in the sun. Purple on pearl white really pops!

Old 10-25-2021, 05:35 PM   #122
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Great stuff as always. You'll want to wrap that 90 coupler off the turbo in some reflective tape at minimum, silicone does not like being that close to the exhaust manifold!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:47 PM   #123
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Great stuff as always. You'll want to wrap that 90 coupler off the turbo in some reflective tape at minimum, silicone does not like being that close to the exhaust manifold!
Thank you! I actually melted the coupler when it got tuned last time, ordered a new one and rotated the housing as far as I could without messing the intake up since its bolt on. I've got the new coupler wrapped in reflective tape around where the clamp is along with a decent air gap it didn't have before. Hopefully that will suffice to keep it happy, if it doesn't I'll get a tight radius 90* to weld onto the outlet!
Old 03-23-2022, 08:36 PM   #124
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Oh man its been a while, a lot has happened with this turd and in my life. Glad to see Zilvia is back up!

October of last year I closed on my first house and moved in shortly after, S13 was back burnered, white Z32 got some love then got sold in December. Finally have my own spot and a 2 car garage to call my own! Picked up some Quick Jacks with the profit from the Z32 and hopped back to finish up the S13.

Panasports came back from power coat and polishing, threw the double stagger set together and finally got to see a glimpse of what all this work was for.

Car was scheduled to hit the dyno at UMS Tuning on 1/6/2022, but I ran into some clutch issues that made me miss that date. OS Giken twin disk I had bolted up the the SR wasn't disengaging and originally I suspected an issued with the Z32 transmission I had disassembled/reassembled a few years back. Decided to throw the SR transmission back in, pulled an all nighter after work and realized that the transmission wasn't the issue.

Was beyond frustrated pulling the transmission out of the car trying to get the clutch to work and decided the best route to fixing the issue was to replace the clutch. The homie Juan, AKA Bardabe, got my setup with an ATS single metallic clutch and the car went back together and finally everything worked! Chose this clutch due to its power handling capabilities and how ATS rated the pedal pressure. Overall really happy with it, pedal is great, engagement is great, but does have a bit of that chatter from a stop that is expected from a puck clutch.

Car hit the dyno at UMS Tuning on 3/3/2022 and ran like an absolute champ! On a low boost break in map it made an impressing 299/243 at just 10psi. Full boost around 3600rpm, power is linear to 7k rpm and has a great torque plateau that translates to the car feeling waaayy faster than I expected.

Been driving the car around and feeling it out, need to make some alignment changes, but overall its really good. Also need to finish fitting the kit up, but I can't find an OE rear crash bar locally and the bumper doesn't fit properly without it...

Old 07-08-2022, 03:10 PM   #125
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Excellent thread is excellent!!!

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 11:00 PM   #126
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Excellent thread is excellent!!!
Thank you! This car has come so far from what it was when I picked it up, but I am kind of out of motivation. The car is a blast to rip around, but insuring it is expensive (classic emissions exempt) and its just not comfortable to drive at all.

I've been kicking around the idea ceramic coating exhaust components, adding some sound deadening and sourcing interior to put back into the car. I think I could get it to be much more livable, but is it worth it...

I've tried to sell the whole car and the drivetrain alone without and real interest, if no one wants to take it off my hands I might find somewhere to store it and come back to it when I am ready to really finish the car.

I will miss walking out into the garage if I end up letting it go...

In other news, I've got my Z32 almost back together. This car really gets me excited because of how nice the chassis is. Just need to get a few more little parts and it should be running and driveable. This car was originally suppose to have the SR setup that currently lives in the S13, but now has another VG30DE under the hood. Threw a ton of parts at it to hopefully make it reliable and it'll have A/C again! It won't be fast, but I am excited regardless.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:38 PM   #127
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (37)
dazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
Ordered some nice studs and copper locking washers to hopefully keep the gaskets intact.
Dig this build thread. Do you remember where you got the hardware from? I looked and couldn't find the same ones.
dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:57 PM   #128
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed View Post
Dig this build thread. Do you remember where you got the hardware from? I looked and couldn't find the same ones.
Thanks! All of it came from Belmetric

https://belmetric.com/nuts/copper-exhaust-nut/
Old 08-04-2022, 03:48 AM   #129
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
and its just not comfortable to drive at all.

I've been kicking around the idea ceramic coating exhaust components, adding some sound deadening and sourcing interior to put back into the car. I think I could get it to be much more livable, but is it worth it...
In all honesty, I'd say yes. This year with the gas prices i've been doing a lot less aimless driving, and trying to tackle some stuff that isn't big projects, but satisfying. I re-wired my fuel pump hat so my speedhut gauge is more accurate, and in the last month I added an IAC back, as well as fixed my horn and it feels like a whole new car to me. Sometimes the small wins are bigger than we think.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:37 PM   #130
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
This happens so many times; the car crosses the line of being a borderline OK to drive car, to just uncomfortable. no AC. No heat and it tires you out quickly

That was one of the reasons why I didn't bother to rebuild the VET Z32 when it blew. The heat from the exhaust alone made tranny tunnel so hot, it would melt the adhesive from the heat shield and would melt it onto the tunnel.

It would have required a very high infusion of cash to get the heat under control and I just didn't have the heart

I feel ya man!
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:35 PM   #131
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
A few hundred bucks with some headershield heat barrier would solve that today. Seems a shame to put a car away just because of that.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 05:02 PM   #132
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
In all honesty, I'd say yes. This year with the gas prices i've been doing a lot less aimless driving, and trying to tackle some stuff that isn't big projects, but satisfying. I re-wired my fuel pump hat so my speedhut gauge is more accurate, and in the last month I added an IAC back, as well as fixed my horn and it feels like a whole new car to me. Sometimes the small wins are bigger than we think.
Everyone always says the last 10% takes 90% of the time to complete and man is that the realest thing I have ever experienced. I feel like I lost interest a while ago and while I know I'm going to hate myself for giving up its whats happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
This happens so many times; the car crosses the line of being a borderline OK to drive car, to just uncomfortable. no AC. No heat and it tires you out quickly

That was one of the reasons why I didn't bother to rebuild the VET Z32 when it blew. The heat from the exhaust alone made tranny tunnel so hot, it would melt the adhesive from the heat shield and would melt it onto the tunnel.

It would have required a very high infusion of cash to get the heat under control and I just didn't have the heart

I feel ya man!
That line between street car and race car is very vague, honestly I am not sure when I lost track of it and how I got this deep. The heat is just one of the many little things that kill me every time I drive the car. Its a blast and puts a smile on everyone's face who I take for a rip, stepping back from it I like what I see, but when I really think about my future with it I see nothing but headache to achieve the car I've dreamt of and tried to build.

I have a hard time and half assing anything, I know if I decide to go down the route of perfecting the whole car I'll just end up deeper in and at the end of the day still have just an S13 to show for all of that work. Maybe I've just been chasing hype all this time, but I can admit that and realize that its time to move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
A few hundred bucks with some headershield heat barrier would solve that today. Seems a shame to put a car away just because of that.
Man if it were only that easy. I have tried justifying to myself its worth the work, its worth the money, its worth the headache, but its not. This car has taught me so much and I will retain those lessons as I move focus back to my Z32. As much as I love a challenge, I should have kept it simple... Guess I am stupid lmao
Old 08-16-2022, 08:54 PM   #133
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Its amazing how it comes full circle. We go from simple seat time, to I need x race car part to fuck this, this is ridiculous back to simple seat time

I think that's why I will always have a clubsport-esque car and then a cheaper racecar. Nothing like driving anywhere in the middle of summer with the AC blasting and creature comforts.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:48 AM   #134
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Its amazing how it comes full circle. We go from simple seat time, to I need x race car part to fuck this, this is ridiculous back to simple seat time
This is all motorsports. I race pitbikes, and I see this ALL the time. I have 3 bikes, and my favorite bike has a "stock" 50cc engine.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:54 PM   #135
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Finishes car, drives it, puts it away to start building another car…

You sure you’re after seat time bud?

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote