Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-31-2017, 07:36 PM   #1
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
New Garrett G-Series turbos!

These look perfect for smaller displacement engines! Finally some new turbines in the long-in-the-tooth Garrett lineup. Mar-M super alloy! Definitely some cool stuff. Hopefully more are headed our way.

https://www.full-race.com/blog/garre...turbochargers/

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2017, 06:51 AM   #2
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
not that I know much about turbo's but the numbers on the 550 turbo look well small.

a gt2860rs has inducer 47,exducer 60 ar 60 and exhaust exducer 54 and this new turbo is gonna give you 200hp more.

a efr 6758 is inlet inducer 54 exducer 67, exhaust exducer58 and wont do 400 on an sr20
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #3
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_moose View Post
not that I know much about turbo's but the numbers on the 550 turbo look well small.

a gt2860rs has inducer 47,exducer 60 ar 60 and exhaust exducer 54 and this new turbo is gonna give you 200hp more.

a efr 6758 is inlet inducer 54 exducer 67, exhaust exducer58 and wont do 400 on an sr20
Think you might be confused mate, a 6258 will do 400whp on an SR20 on E85...

Old 11-01-2017, 05:01 PM   #4
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:

A 6758 will make 450WHP on a SR on full song. A 7163 will make over 500WHP on a SR.

I think your (HP) figures on the EFR are........incorrect.

Also, EFRs are NOT dyno queens. The biggest mistake people always make with EFRs is comparing strictly on a piece of paper without actually experiencing one.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #5
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
what really interests me is if they will offer a direct bolt on replacement for stock s14/s15. They offer stock upgrades for the GT and GTX, GTX II series so I'm hoping they will offer one for this new G series. It's so much easier going bottom mount and running off the shelf parts.
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:06 AM   #6
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Bottom mount external gated stock manifold is where its at lol. Wish I had finished my TD06 setup on stock manifold lol.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:12 AM   #7
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDacIouSX View Post
what really interests me is if they will offer a direct bolt on replacement for stock s14/s15. They offer stock upgrades for the GT and GTX, GTX II series so I'm hoping they will offer one for this new G series. It's so much easier going bottom mount and running off the shelf parts.
Yeah but 5-bolt downpipes and bolted inlets and outlets suck. Plus if you’re really talking about replacing the compressor cover, you’re probably going to be sacrificing flow. They make an internal gate T25 housing, I’m sure adapting it won’t be hard.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:42 AM   #8
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
I am glad they finally redesigned thier 30+ year old wheel design. The GTX billet wheels were fantastic and they always lacked in turbine wheel, which is where the meat of the potatoes exists.

Curious to see how these compare to the EFRs. The race is on!

Last edited by RalliartRsX; 11-02-2017 at 09:42 AM..
Old 11-02-2017, 07:59 AM   #9
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm really only interested in seeing side by side comparisons of its similarly sized garrett competitors. Say its sizable to a 2871. I want to see side by side data on both.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:50 AM   #10
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
which is where the meet of the potatoes exists.
*Meat and potatoes
Old 11-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #11
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
*Meat and potatoes
Hahaha! Thanks
Old 11-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #12
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
What im trying to gather here is how the hell this tiny turbo is good for 550whp?

if this is true im throwing my gtx3076 in the trash cause I'd imagine this thing is going to have instant spool on a ka.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:31 AM   #13
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
What im trying to gather here is how the hell this tiny turbo is good for 550whp?

if this is true im throwing my gtx3076 in the trash cause I'd imagine this thing is going to have instant spool on a ka.
you and me both. I've got a gtx3071 for sale if this pans out!

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #14
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Here is the G25 550 in red, and the GTX2867R Gen II in white. The maps are scaled horizontally, but not vertically. Still shows what it needs to. The G25 compressor coupled with the new higher flowing turbine should be killer.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:46 PM   #15
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
It seems like if scaled vertically the maps would almost be right on top of each other.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:19 AM   #16
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
It seems like if scaled vertically the maps would almost be right on top of each other.
Seems that way to me

However, the 7163 EFRs (just an example) were supposed to be 500 BHP turbos and the EVO boys are squeezing 600 WHP+ from them (over 700BHP).

If factoring real life, the real test is in drivability, power under the curve, boost response, etc since they have a newly designed wheel.

However, looking through all the similarities, they almost "literally" pulled the description and design (twin entry cooling ports on both sides of the housing, G series design turbine wheel, oil restrictor fitting in the housing, speed sensor, compact V band outlet, etc etc) straight from the EFR turbos. Garrett literally lifted just about every design feature from the EFR........Apart from the packaging with the internal gate, I will still stick with my EFR unless proven otherwise as the MAPS do not seem to pose an improvement over the standard GTX. If they make a bolt on with a good flowing gate however..........

That goes to show how far ahead of the game EFRs were to Garrett.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #17
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Also, whats the speed sensor for? Is it required?

When I was turbo shopping last year I wanted to look into an EFR, but there wasn't enough information on the KA for a platform with a similar set up to me because 240 owners are cheap fucks.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #18
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Close, but as you can see, the new 60mm wheel outflows the GenII 67mm wheel. Pretty impressive.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:37 AM   #19
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Also, whats the speed sensor for? Is it required?

Gamma-ti wheel and overspeeding. Keep it under 140,000 RPM is the general consensus for the B1 frames.

But again, evo boys making 600+ WHP what would consider serious overspeed, but I have not seen any failures as of yet (only engines going kablamooo)
Old 11-03-2017, 10:56 AM   #20
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Juan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura about
Last Garrett turbo i sold was leaking out of the box, this is the 4th time i have something like this happen. I have no more faith in Garrett, Borg Warner is where it's at!

(951)708-1648 | [email protected]
Juan@Fontananissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #21
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Close, but as you can see, the new 60mm wheel outflows the GenII 67mm wheel. Pretty impressive.
agreed! crazy to see how far the tech has come in just a short amount of time

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:28 PM   #22
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Seems that way to me

However, looking through all the similarities, they almost "literally" pulled the description and design (twin entry cooling ports on both sides of the housing, G series design turbine wheel, oil restrictor fitting in the housing, speed sensor, compact V band outlet, etc etc) straight from the EFR turbos. Garrett literally lifted just about every design feature from the EFR........Apart from the packaging with the internal gate, I will still stick with my EFR unless proven otherwise as the MAPS do not seem to pose an improvement over the standard GTX. If they make a bolt on with a good flowing gate however..........

That goes to show how far ahead of the game EFRs were to Garrett.

So do these turbos out perform borg warner turbos? Honestly if they're a copy paste of borg warner tech, that is just lame... rather go w/ borg warner at that point.
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:41 PM   #23
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
four cylinder turbo is amazing.

everything I've seen with v8's still has me constantly saying, "well, the 4-cylinder might not XXX but it sure can YYY" and giving my old SR credit. The thing that killed it for me was the clutch, constant traffic here took the fun out of it. And 4-cylinder auto just doesn't seem right.

Oh, the thread title. Right. So you guys realize that you are basically comparing 77% efficient compressors with "~76%" efficient compressors, right? Like, one turbo isn't "better" because it's compressor map is bigger, that just means the compressor is bigger. You are getting a very similar compressor discharge temperature across the board.

The performance aspect you are looking to compare isn't in the compressor map at all; that aspect is supported by how the dynamics of the exhaust plays out, not only the turbine wheel but what comes before/after that wheel. In other words, when comparing two similar sized compressors at say, 20psi, both discharge very similar temperatures of air if they are in similar regions of the compressor map (both maps look the same right). So any significant difference in power isn't going to be due to the compressor, comparing mass flow rate and looking at the map isn't going to reveal these discreet behaviors.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:46 PM   #24
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
four cylinder turbo is amazing.

everything I've seen with v8's still has me constantly saying, "well, the 4-cylinder might not XXX but it sure can YYY" and giving my old SR credit. The thing that killed it for me was the clutch, constant traffic here took the fun out of it. And 4-cylinder auto just doesn't seem right.

Oh, the thread title. Right. So you guys realize that you are basically comparing 77% efficient compressors with "~76%" efficient compressors, right? Like, one turbo isn't "better" because it's compressor map is bigger, that just means the compressor is bigger. You are getting a very similar compressor discharge temperature across the board.

The performance aspect you are looking to compare isn't in the compressor map at all; that aspect is supported by how the dynamics of the exhaust plays out, not only the turbine wheel but what comes before/after that wheel. In other words, when comparing two similar sized compressors at say, 20psi, both discharge very similar temperatures of air if they are in similar regions of the compressor map (both maps look the same right). So any significant difference in power isn't going to be due to the compressor, comparing mass flow rate and looking at the map isn't going to reveal these discreet behaviors.
Except when one compressor is significantly smaller, meaning less mass and intertia... and when the compressor is more efficient, the turbine has to do less work, and when the turbine is more efficient, you get less emap...

Old 11-03-2017, 08:01 PM   #25
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Except when one compressor is significantly smaller, meaning less mass and intertia... and when the compressor is more efficient, the turbine has to do less work, and when the turbine is more efficient, you get less emap...
You can't see compressor wheel mass on a compressor map, and you can't see somebody's exhaust setup or camshaft/head setup over the internet, which all will affect turbine work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
that aspect is supported by how the dynamics of the exhaust plays out, not only the turbine wheel but what comes before/after that wheel.
Its exactly what I said
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #26
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
You can't see compressor wheel mass on a compressor map, and you can't see somebody's exhaust setup or camshaft/head setup over the internet, which all will affect turbine work.

Its exactly what I said
Must be some new super dense aluminum for a wheel smaller in every dimension not to be lighter...

We’re not comparing engines here, we’re comparing turbos. The turbine to compressor relationship stays the same on every turbo, regardless of the engine it’s attached to.

This is a discussion. Nobody is trying to prove that this is the latest and greatest turbo of all time. I’m simply excited for new possibilities and am comparing it in ways I can to others currently on the market. It’s fun and interesting to me.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:23 AM   #27
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Think you might be confused mate, a 6758 will do 400whp on an SR20 on E85...
we don't really get E85 over here in England. (well not easily)

have they released any prices for these new garrett's yet?
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:41 AM   #28
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:

It will make 400 HP on pump........

2K for far for street pricing
Old 11-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #29
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:

I meant 6258 when I typed it...

this is 6258, E85, stock cams, greddy intake.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #30
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

MotoIQ breaking down these vs Gen1 and 2 GTX. Some nice info about turbine work vs compressor and the reduction in intertia from smaller wheels that flow more.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ochargers.aspx