Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
Oil/Coolant Feed/Return line For Ka24det

Im in the process of putting something together for my KA-T I was gonna make a post but I'll share what I have so far.

OIL FEED LINE FOR KA24DET

Starting at the block where the stock oil pressure sending unit is located and making the way to the turbo:

1.) http://www.nissport.com/catalog/prod...EquipmentType=

This goes in place of the oil pressure sending unit into the block. The stock sender fits in the 1/8 BSPTfemale end of this piece (not seen because it is sitting on that end), and there are three 1/8" NPT female ports used to connect your feed line and other items, such as an oil pressure gauge sending unit or oil temp sending unit. $49.00

2.) http://www.amstreetrod.com/961603ASR.php4

Oil line to NISSPORT oil sending unit adapter (1) $1.68
part no: 981603 -3AN to 1/8 adapter

3.) http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/shop1...d_num=63010160

Oil feed line (3 ft) $15.59
part no: 63010136 -3AN Female Swivel Both Ends - Size 3 Hose

4.) http://www.takamotorsports.com

Oil line to turbo adapter 7/16-24 I.F. to -3AN:

.060" oil restrictor (Journal bearing). This is to ensure the proper amount of oil is getting to your T25. Unrestricted oil flow will blow through the turbo oil seals and coat the insides of your intercooler pipes. It has 1/8" NPT threads will fit into the nissport adapter. $11.00

.030" oil restrictor (Ball bearing). This is to ensure the proper amount of oil is getting to your T25. Unrestricted oil flow will blow through the turbo oil seals and coat the insides of your intercooler pipes. It has 1/8" NPT threads will fit into the nissport adapter. $12.00

OIL RETURN LINE FOR KA24DET
I used the stock return pipe from a U12/U13 Bluebird or W10/11 Avenir SR20DET for those of you that aren't familiar these are the AWD varients of the SR20DET commonly swapped into the FWD B13/B14/P10/P11 chassis. I slightly modified the bend of the retun pipe and braze welded it onto the oil pan and I cut the flange part off leaving about 1/2" of pipe to attach the rubber return line hose which is 5/8" which I got from autozone part number 4492. Also you like need a staright piece of 5/8" O.D. pipe to join the modified rubber return hose together and for clocking purposes.

Since I can't find an original picture of teh return pipe I used here is a screen shot and part number 15197-79E01:

COOLANT RETURN/FEED LINE FOR KA24DET:
These two trick banjo fittings bolt directly onto your T25/T28 CHRA (14mm Banjo to 1/4 NPT):

1.) http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...gory_Code=GTBB
$22.00 x 2

2.) Http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog...252/index.html
For the easiest connection to the water return and outlet pipe you will simply need to bypass your coolant lines to your throttle body and also use these fitting to tap into your banjo supplied 1/4" NPT tap with these 1/4" NPT to 5/16" straight hose fitting (HARD TO FIND!!!)
$1.45 x 2

3.) Here is a picture of the coolant outlets that you will need to attach a lenght of 5/16" I.D. to and run them over to your turbo.
INLET AND OUTLET DOESN'T MATTER HERE AS THIS IS RUNNING THREW THE TURBO CHRA:
NOTE: IM USING A S14 INATKE MANIFOLD SO MY UPPER WATER LINE IS IN A DOWNWARD FACING POSISTION AS TO A S13 INTAKE MANIFOLD WOULD SHOOT OFF TO THE PASSANGER SIDE IIRC.

Lastly you need some 5/16" I.D. coolant hose to connect the feed and return to the turbo.
This shows what has have been bypassed:

Littlle modification update on the throttle body for ease of routing coolant lines:

and here are more pics showing the routing of coolant lines:

More pics will come later still waiting on parts to come in the mail.
UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
frankist
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
frankist has a spectacular aura aboutfrankist has a spectacular aura aboutfrankist has a spectacular aura aboutfrankist has a spectacular aura aboutfrankist has a spectacular aura aboutfrankist has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
awsome pictures. =)
Old 02-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
nice thread, thx for the part numbers
Old 02-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Bump Added Some More Stuff At The End Of First Post.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
Neejay
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Neejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfectionNeejay is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Holy shit man, VERY good write up.
Neejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankist View Post
awsome pictures. =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
nice thread, thx for the part numbers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neejay View Post
Holy shit man, VERY good write up.
Thanks guys, I was tired of not seeing a clear cut way to run these lines for the KA24DE(T), and people not running coolant lines, well its easy, it may cost a bit but money shouldn't be a factor when ur making oil and coolant lines.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

More pics, its not finsihed but its close:

Old 02-18-2008, 01:12 AM   #8
killswitch
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
killswitch is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Clean as always man!!.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:55 AM   #9
Xandy Boosts
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
Xandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfectionXandy Boosts is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Xandy Boosts
Subscribed and + repped. And damn that's a clean block and tranny.....jeez make the rest of us look bad will ya. lol
Old 02-18-2008, 08:17 AM   #10
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Excellent part usage.

Is that up/down/up effect going to affect the water flow to the turbo?

Carlos
Slidin240Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:26 AM   #11
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidin240Wayz View Post
Excellent part usage.

Is that up/down/up effect going to affect the water flow to the turbo?

Carlos

Thanks, I hope not but I dont think so, basically its running just like it was suppost to run threw the throttle body except now its a turbo and I would think the pump provides enough centrifugal force to flow the water around everywhere.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #12
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Why didn't you run without a coolant line. It would've been a lot less of a hassle.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #13
LB.Motoring
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
LB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to LB.Motoring
Mel,

you think it would be ok to run a t25/or t28 without a coolant line?

If sooo shooot,

Id just run oil and be down with it,

but then again this is going on a track car, so I could careless about reliability...
Old 02-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #14
ryguy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
ryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfectionryguy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Dude I have been looking for those banjo bolt AN adaptor things. Posi-rep!

ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #15
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB.Motoring View Post
Mel,

you think it would be ok to run a t25/or t28 without a coolant line?

If sooo shooot,

Id just run oil and be down with it,

but then again this is going on a track car, so I could careless about reliability...
Yes. You can no problem. When I threw the t28 in, I didn't even mess with the coolant lines. As well as my ka-t setup I ran without a coolant line.

The oil lines will cool the turbo off sufficently.

Reliability? The stock turbo in these cars are supposed to be DDed on for hundreds of thousands of kilo's. So they need all the help they can get.

But the way we are using them, fuck coolant lines. Bigger turbo's don't even have coolant fittings.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Why didn't you run without a coolant line. It would've been a lot less of a hassle.
Because im not into half ass'ing things, my approach is do it right or don't do it at all. Im sure you can run without coolant lines to the turbo but I choose not to.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #17
LB.Motoring
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
LB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to LB.Motoring
Wurd.

Good write up though, Im going to be doing this as soon as I get a Start up of my KA in my corolla.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #18
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNISA JECS View Post
Because im not into half ass'ing things, my approach is do it right or don't do it at all. Im sure you can run without coolant lines to the turbo but I choose not to.
So I guess all the manufactures should recall their turbo's and install coolant passages on them because they are half assing?
Old 02-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #19
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
So I guess all the manufactures should recall their turbo's and install coolant passages on them because they are half assing?
No that's retarted, obviosuly its a known fact that some turbo's dont have coolant passages built into them because they were "designed" not to have them vs other turbo's that were such as mine.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #20
!Zar!
Post Whore!

There is no difference.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #21
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech101.html

I guess I need to find what exactly was the flow threw the throttle body so I can route the coolant lines the right way on the turbo, accordant to that the cool side of the coolant should be connected on the lowest side of the CHRA (which im my case is the rear coolant passage nearest to the block).
Old 02-18-2008, 12:43 PM   #22
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Sweet.

They explained perfectly why you should have a turbo timer.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #23
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Sweet.

They explained perfectly why you should have a turbo timer.
Aggreed! and I do use one on every turbocharged car I ever owned.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #24
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
No, Oil cooled turbo's have large oil passages for cooling and lubrication. Water cooled turbos have small oil passages only for lubrication. The area for cooling passages is now used by the water passages.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #25
Z U L8R
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
Z U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
good write up man.

as far as coolant lines...you also need to think about ball bearing turbo owners. there's not much oil needed in a dual ball bearing turbo so the oil definately's not gonna gonna cool the turbo off, that's why garrett dbb turbo's have coolant lines going to them.

so reps to doing it right or don't do it at all. i know i don't want my 12-1500 dual ball bearing turbo taking a crap prematurely because i was too lazy to feed that puppy some coolant. i would have gone with steel braded line and earl's fittings but that's just me. good job tho

gt35r going on my KA in the 510 =]

thx for the part numbers and the details. also the whole purpose nissan designed coolant to pass through the throttle bodies was to raise intake air temps to thus make the car run richer (less power) in order to create less nox for emissions purposes....so to us folks who want a nice cold/dense intake charge those throttle body "heater" lines are a no no.

gj man, post some dyno graphs once you get that clean sucker in the car and tuned. i could eat off ur valve cover hahaha

Dave =]
Old 02-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #26
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

I haven't bought the SS lines yet becasue I been lazy but the lines I am using are rated at 250psi.

Also finding 5/16" I.D. or -5AN I.D. (same thing) ss line isn;t that easy but I think I found a shop that carrys it near by, here the link below, you do not want to use -6AN hose because it way to hard on the hose clamps to squeeze down and make a seal on a 5/16" O.D. pipe.

I still need to call them and verify that it does infact have real SS braid because reading the text says this but the spec's underneith don't jive with whats said above manily the burst psi. (50psi vs 175psi)

http://www.paragonperformance.com/fuel%20line%20hose.html
Old 02-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #27
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Very nice job. Clean, tight work. I have two issues to point out:

1) You mentioned putting the OE oil pressure switch back in. Do not do that. You don't need it (with this type of build you're surely running a gauge) and it's only going to leak down the road, so it's pointless to install. I've never seen one not pooled in oil at the plug.

2) You're running an SR outlet/downpipe. You'll find the clearance is a bit tighter on the KA setup as it sits just a hair higher than the SR manifold. When using a 3" downpipe (like my setup) it rubs the floorboard right at the lower most edge of the firewall. Just something to think about. I ended up buying an additional 3bolt flange and welding it to the existing flange, effectively creating a spacer, double the OE flange size, to drop the downpipe the needed amount. Just a heads up.

Also, since the manifold hardware loosening up is always a possibility, a small tackweld on each nut goes a long way to keep the turbo and outlet from falling off.

Otherwise it's as impressive as all your for sale ads, which always blow me away.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #28
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
Very nice job. Clean, tight work. I have two issues to point out:

1) You mentioned putting the OE oil pressure switch back in. Do not do that. You don't need it (with this type of build you're surely running a gauge) and it's only going to leak down the road, so it's pointless to install. I've never seen one not pooled in oil at the plug.

2) You're running an SR outlet/downpipe. You'll find the clearance is a bit tighter on the KA setup as it sits just a hair higher than the SR manifold. When using a 3" downpipe (like my setup) it rubs the floorboard right at the lower most edge of the firewall. Just something to think about. I ended up buying an additional 3bolt flange and welding it to the existing flange, effectively creating a spacer, double the OE flange size, to drop the downpipe the needed amount. Just a heads up.

Also, since the manifold hardware loosening up is always a possibility, a small tackweld on each nut goes a long way to keep the turbo and outlet from falling off.

Otherwise it's as impressive as all your for sale ads, which always blow me away.
Thanks, yea I haven't bought the oil gauge yet but in the mean time I just bought a new oil sending unit from nissan to feel the hole for now.

I do plan on buying an aftermarket turbo outlet and downpipe. As for running the stock units, I had to see for myself how everything matted up since no one has actually documented it really good, or I just gave up searching but I do think I recall reading something about adding a flange as a spacer.

Actually I made a little thread on KA-T.org about the fitment issue on teh sr turbo outlet on a KA24DE(T), even over there nothing was clear and to the point baout what you needed to do.

Heres the link with some pics:
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic...1663&highlight=
Old 02-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #29
McRussellPants
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
McRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond reputeMcRussellPants has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
you're retarded.

all ball bearing turbos have water passages. besides the TR30, which is worth at least 5 times what your whole car is.

journal bearings use oil to cool off the CHRA, they also use more of it, which is why they don't have a restrictor. try to run a GTxxxxR without a restrictor and it would blow out the seals.
McRussellPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #30
prang11
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
prang11 will become famous soon enoughprang11 will become famous soon enoughprang11 will become famous soon enoughprang11 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Amazing post, so many people have started threads looking for this information. Adding this to favorites immediatly.
prang11 is offline   Reply With Quote