Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
Vicious Beaner!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (38)
Vicious Beaner! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Sr20det crank not spinning freely after build

What's up guys . Got a sr20det built last year by a shop. Engine ran fan before stock but decided to build to get to 450 to 500 reliably with a gtx3076r . Did pistons, rods , new all ARP hardware. The whole 9. Tried to get it going last week with a tuner etc . Did the proper break in procedures and that crank wont really budge. Spins maybe a 1/4 turn by hand and then just stops. . Engine ran for 10 seconds and shut off. Drained the oil and no shavings . Undid the trans , starter etc and still hard to turn by hand with a 2 foot breaker bar. So yanked the engine out and having another shop take a look at what's wrong . Is it possible for that engine to be complete crap?
I'd appreciate any feed back or similar related issues.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Vicious Beaner! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
Turbosauce74

Trader Rating: (0)
Turbosauce74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Was the crank polished or machined? Sounds to me like your mains could be too tight of tolerance.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Turbosauce74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
Vicious Beaner!
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosauce74 View Post
Was the crank polished or machined? Sounds to me like your mains could be too tight of tolerance.

Yea from my understanding builder did say it was machined and polished. That's what I was thinking aswell . Hopefully it isn't anything major. That would be a bummer

Old 11-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #4
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Yep, sounds like the mains were too tight. If you're lucky it'll just require a polish on the crank and resetting the main clearance. If you're unlucky they did some wonky machining and the engine will need a line hone and a new crank.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #5
Turbosauce74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious Beaner! View Post
Yea from my understanding builder did say it was machined and polished. That's what I was thinking aswell . Hopefully it isn't anything major. That would be a bummer

Luckily you might not need to pull too much apart, a bit of plastigauge and you could check each bearing individually. I'm assuming you didn't get the block line bored?

Old 11-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Pull the spark plugs and make sure the cylinders aren’t full of fuel.

I bought a car that the previous owner said wouldn’t run, turns out he replaced the injectors but there was an old oring stuck in the fuel rail causing raw fuel to fill cyl 2. It would crank about 2 revolutions then stop dead.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Pull the spark plugs and make sure the cylinders aren’t full of fuel.

I bought a car that the previous owner said wouldn’t run, turns out he replaced the injectors but there was an old oring stuck in the fuel rail causing raw fuel to fill cyl 2. It would crank about 2 revolutions then stop dead.
This shit happened on my car too. Started her up and she was idling then just died after about 15 seconds and wouldnt crank any more. Took off the fuel rail and fuel was everywhere.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
if nothing in cylinders, check with bore o scope that nothing has contacted piston and see if spins freely, if doesn't check timing too before pulling motor apart
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #9
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
1) Either the main clearances are too tight (which is why you ALWAYS spin the crank by hand once you bolt up the mains and after every conrod install)
2) Piston to valve contact

Confirm if they align honed when they rebuilt the engine if using stock main bolts. If using aftermarket make sure they align hone correctly and have them issue you the spec sheet before and after align hone. If they did it incorrectly, the engine will have to be torn down.

And make sure they also give you always the measurement bearing clearances and which bearings they used (mains and rod bearings)
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:01 PM   #10
R@ddy
Nissanaholic!

R@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymoreR@ddy is not welcome here anymore
is someone seriously recommending plastigauge? lol
crank bearing clearances could have possibly been too tight. tear it apart and if it only ran for 10 sec. your crank could be ok. Get a new shop to redo the whole bottom end.
R@ddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #11
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ddy View Post
crank bearing clearances could have possibly been too tight. tear it apart and if it only ran for 10 sec. your crank could be ok. Get a new shop to redo the whole bottom end.
Whats wrong with plastigauge? Yes are there better tools to.check measurements?

But plastigauge is a very useful tool and many if not thousands of motors have been built using it and ran perfectly
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #12
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

there are just better ways of doing things...
Old 11-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #13
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
there are just better ways of doing things...
imo plastigauge is a great tool to use to make sure someone didn't put the decimal in the wrong spot when trying to use a dial caliper.

i'm still amazed at how many people can't properly use one, but claim to be engine builders.

Quote:
Old 11-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #14
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Nothing wrong with plastigauge for a DIY to double check.

However, youtube mechanics who have no idea how to use their $800 dial calipers need something to blame......
Old 11-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #15
Vicious Beaner!
Zilvia FREAK!

Ended up taking it to another shop so they can tear it down and check everything .I have a feeling he didnt line hone since they were Arp main studs and or tight clearances. Just found out hes known for leaving tight clearances through another customer smh.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:41 PM   #16
Vicious Beaner!
Zilvia FREAK!

Sooo look what I found guys . Head and cams are shot. Smh. Crank spins smoothly still after head is off. So it was the head all along

Old 11-27-2019, 09:59 PM   #17
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Holy fuk, after seeing that nightmare, id pull the bottom end apart and check EVERYTHING
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:33 PM   #18
Vicious Beaner!
Zilvia FREAK!

Oh bottom end coming apart forsure to get inspected. Damn it I'm deep into this sr20 already smh lol
Old 11-30-2019, 08:55 AM   #19
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
you would notice something like that during installation

which means those parts went in looking fine

which means they were ruined within that 10 second time frame

which means they were installed without any oil (my guess)
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:58 AM   #20
Turbosauce74

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ddy View Post
Boy do you look wrong now....

Old 11-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #21
Turbosauce74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious Beaner! View Post
Sooo look what I found guys . Head and cams are shot. Smh. Crank spins smoothly still after head is off. So it was the head all along
Glad to see the bottom end most likely survived, but yeah I'd be pulling it apart and checking every oil galley for shavings. What cams are those?

Old 11-30-2019, 10:29 AM   #22
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
you would notice something like that during installation

which means those parts went in looking fine

which means they were ruined within that 10 second time frame

which means they were installed without any oil (my guess)
I am leaning this direction. However, the photo with the cam cracked right at the cam gear seems like the shop installed the cam caps with a 500lb torque wrench as it looks like a fracture vs a fatigue (no oil) failure.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:42 PM   #23
brndck
Premium Member

JEEZUS FUCK.
Dude that sucks.

Looks no oil pressure was getting to the head.
Why the cam cracked I don’t know, but FUCK.

Quote:
Old 11-30-2019, 06:45 PM   #24
Turbosauce74

Possibility that the caps were over torqued or the cam shaft was bent. I had a shitty shop drop one of my cam shafts and bend it. Cam would install fine but tough to turn, ended up having to pay for a new set.

Old 11-30-2019, 06:52 PM   #25
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Cams are hardened (brittle). If they are dropped, they shatter, not bend lol
Old 12-01-2019, 01:48 AM   #26
brndck
Premium Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosauce74 View Post
Possibility that the caps were over torqued or the cam shaft was bent. I had a shitty shop drop one of my cam shafts and bend it. Cam would install fine but tough to turn, ended up having to pay for a new set.
On a KA or SR20 if you overtighten the cam caps, you’ll pull the threads out. Seen it quite a few times when people don’t pay attention to the part where it says INCH/pounds, not FOOT/pounds.

Also yeah I’ve never seen a cam bend. They crack.

Quote:
Old 12-01-2019, 08:40 AM   #27
crazyorigin

Trader Rating: (1)
crazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud ofcrazyorigin has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Cams are hardened (brittle). If they are dropped, they shatter, not bend lol
Cams can certainly bend. The hardening on iron camshafts does make them brittle but as long as they are they will easily bend. The can chip or have a piece break off that is partially due to hardening and also partially due to the metal characteristics of iron. The hardening is also just case hardening, meaning roughly the outer .020" of their surface is much harder than the rest. They are not made of carbide...
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:29 AM   #28
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

I would reach out to the original shop and have them pay for fixing it...sry to see that...
Old 12-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #29
nick_d_240sx
Leaky Injector

nick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymore
Anytime an engine is rebuilt or the cams/cam gears or timing chain/belt has been removed, turn over the engine by hand multiple times to verify everything is spinning smoothly.

Sorry man.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:59 PM   #30
Vicious Beaner!
Zilvia FREAK!

Yea engine is getting completely overhauled fellas/ladies . Had shavings in the pan. Reached out to the original builder and he is dodging me. Had to buy a new head , get it machined and of course tear had the engine tore down to fully inspect any further damage smh. Would it be right or wrong to put the shop out on blast with these pictures I have to save someone else's engine in the future?