Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
My SR20VET...

Well, I've been building this for the past year or so. I had a built S14 SR but threw a rocker arm, hated life, and went VVL. This is my timeline and progression on the build thus far.

The Specs:

Stock P11 head w/ SuperTech DVS and stock cams for now...
Mazworx VVL conversion kit including IM
My old forged SR20DET bottomend
ID1000's
Walbro 255 to surge, Bosch 044 from surge to rail
GTX3076R
My old Peakboost manifold
Exedy Twin Disk

Intake manifold and Q45 TB...

Huge intake ports...

Super clean valve train w/ Supertech DVS in the highest seat pressure available for high RPM.

Forged bottomend with VVL oil pump bolted up...

BNIB Exedy twin disc I found locally for a killer deal.

Manifold mocked up on the head, I figured out here the factory fuse/relay box were going to have to be relocated, oh well...

I overlaid my VVL intake gasket on my S14 SR gasket, its amazing how much bigger the ports are. No wonder this head flows so much better.

Lot of parts that came in to get the head bolted on to my block...

So I wanted to get the VVL head flowbenched, just to have some figures in hand and verify what I had been seeing on the web... The top numbers are the VE head and the bottom numbers are from a highport SR head.

Flow test was done on a completely stock SR20VE head. Machine used was a Superflow 600 test bench at 28" of H20 and low 80's temp.

Intake
Lift CFM
.050 49
.100 86.2
.150 122.6
.200 158.6
.250 192.5
.300 225
.350 249.2
.400 263.5
.450 272.9

Exhaust

Lift CFM
.050 46.5
.100 86
.150 118.5
.200 147
.250 171
.300 183.5
.350 188.8
.400 193
.450 196

For some added information, I've done some search on Highport heads and found these numbers...

intake test at 28in H2O, temp 88deg F

Lift CFM
.060 43.4
.080 60.7
.120 92.9
.180 134.5
.260 175.6
.340 192..3
.440 201.8
.460 202.3
.480 203.5
.500 203.6

exhaust test at 28in H2O, temp 95deg F

Lift CFM
.100 41.1
.140 75.0
.200 98.2
.240 106.5
.280 110.2
.360 113.0
.440 114.3
.480 114.7
.500 114.9

More to come...
Old 05-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
bc.
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
neat! what kind of power are you looking for?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
dreamin240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
dreamin240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dreamin240sx
nissan should of put these heads on the sr from the start haha
Old 05-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Continuing on with the build...

I purchased Tomei adj. cam gears, Mazworx proprietary headstuds and an Apexi HG.

With the parts above I was able to get the head bolted up and cams/gears installed...

I cut the mounting tab off the DET water neck, ground it down and bead blasted it to get it back to a factory texture...

I stripped, degreased, bead blasted, and had AN fittings welded to the VC. Then I painted it with Duplicolor paint and cleared it...

Somewhere at this point I took the motor up to Mazworx. I wanted a professional shop to set up the cam gears and make sure they were on centerline. While the motor was at Mazworx, I cleaned and organized the garage enough to squeek the car in. Now I could finally start tearing the remaining items out to prep for some repairs and paint.

One of the repairs needing attention. Some how rust formed between the pinch weld here. I had to drill out spot welds, remove the damaged metal and reweld in a new piece...

After a few weeks the motor was ready to be picked up. Being that I was out of town on business for a few weeks my father picked my motor up for me. Once it was home, I started bolting items back on to it...

Exedy, Mazworx trans adapter plate and VC bolted on...

Modified waterneck to accept the S14 SR's 1" coolant hose...

I mocked up the IM once more for the hell of it... I forgot how huge it was until I bolted it on every time...

My turbo finally arrived, so I rushed home after work to slap it on. Obviously it was for mock up purposes only, but it looks pretty sick...

Thanks for looking, more to come...
Old 05-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
jr_ss
Post Whore!

More....

Like I said in the last post, I cleaned the garage up enough to get the car in to begin the engine bay strip.

I recieved my TougeFactory surgetank kit minus the pumps as they were already in my posession. My only gripe with the kit was that the return line that they supplied with the kit wasn't long enough to reach all the way back to the surge tank, so you had to splice in a short piece of pipe. I contacted Jamie over there and explained my concern, he had a piece long enough shipped to my door within a few days time.

Incase you missed it, my Walbro 255 will be the lift pump to the surge tank. From the surge tank I'll be using a Bosch 044 and -6an lines to feed 1000cc Injector Dynamic'c injectors.

Before I bolted my Z32 trans to the back of my VET I had it rebuilt. It had started to develope the typical 4th gear grind and I didn't feel like having to pull the trans when it finally went.

As usual thanks for looking, more to come...
Old 05-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
jr_ss
Post Whore!

I actually started the bay strip while it was outside. I removed most items out there simply because there was more room to move around the whole car. Once it was actually in the garage all that remained was the front suspension and crossmember. Once they were removed, I started welding up the holes left when I removed the factory battery tray and the area on the passenger side strut tower. I wasn't looking to plug/patch all the holes in the engine bay, although in hindsight, I should've. I also used holesaws to clearance and make the holes I made for IC pipes truly round.

Here's the repair needed on the passenger side strut tower... I also removed all seam sealer forward of the rear of the strut towers. I was going to be torn up during the bead blasting and made sanding much easier.

I brought home our bead blaster from work to clean any and all surface rust off before I started to body fill areas in the bay where I had welded/ground.

3M undercoated the fender wells after I degreased and sanded them down. I went all the way up to the upper frame rails simply because I wanted to.

After a shit ton of hours, sanding, body filling and sanding more, I finally got it where I wanted it. It was an huge amount of work. My hands ached for days and at times went numb from the process. I kept telling myself it was going to be worth it in the end....

Once the sanding had ceased, I had to wrap the car in drop cloth for laying down the primer. I wiped the bay down a total of 3 times, making sure I didn't miss any areas that could potentially cause problems. First two times took a total of 3hrs, I called it a night after that. I did a thorough final wipe down right before I sprayed the primer. I hit all the problematic/tight areas first, to make sure they were coated, then I came back and bombed the rest. I am by no means a professional painter, but I have a fair amount of time behind a spray gun.

All primed... It turned out pretty damn good for a make shift paint booth in my home garage. It was a great relief seeing the car all one color, it started too actually look like something.

As usual, thanks for looking...
Old 05-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc. View Post
neat! what kind of power are you looking for?
This setup saw 491rwhp on pump gas and a ROM tune prior to my acquisition of it. I'd like to see 500+ on pump and 600 on race...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamin240sx View Post
nissan should of put these heads on the sr from the start haha
They did, just not on a boosted version until the X-trail in early 2000.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
Pinggg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Pinggg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Sr <3 I'm looking forward to this build, definitely following this one .
Props bro.
Pinggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
jr_ss
Post Whore!

The guide coat was probably more of a PITA than actually sanding and prepping for primer. You had to sand a certain way otherwise you get high and low spots from the pressure of your fingers. That and getting into all the tiny areas to make it completely smooth sucked.

I don't have any pictures of the entire bay completely sanded without seam sealer, but you get the idea...

And with the tape removed. When Toby said that this stuff sets up fast it was an understatement. I literally finished the driver's side and it was already setting up and becoming difficult to remove the tape. Luckily I didn't leave it all night like he did. It was off within 30mins of applying the sealer.

I finished seam sealing at about 12am, had the car on the trailer by 1am and at my shop by 2am. I didn't want the car sitting outside in the dewy air so I moved some trucks around at the shop to get it in there. I had an appointment at 7am to drop the car off for paint so it was a huge push to get it ready by then. I dropped the car off and 6hrs later I brought it home, painted and cleared. The guy I used does amazing paint work, I couldn't be happier how it turned out.

Don't go anywhere, there is still more...
Old 05-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
jr_ss
Post Whore!

So now that the bay is painted, I could start cleaning all the components that were going to find their way back into the bay... Here it is a few hours after bolting things in.

While the crossmember was out I bead blasted it and had it powdercoated gloss black, I think it turned out rad. I bought Nismo steering rack bushings and new inner and adj, outer tierods from SPL.

Adapter to convert my hardline to accept an AN fitting.

Instead of the traditional install from the top, I opted to hoist the car up and roll the motor/tranny underneath and lower the body on to the crossmember. This helped for two reasons, I didn't need an extra hand and it kept me from scratching the paint.

The motor is finally in and bolted up to the frame rails... I slapped the manifolds on just to get an idea.

Because of the limited clearance I have behind the head and my bulkhead, I had to use Mazworx CAS kit. It plugs the original hole on the back of the head and installs through the front of the head.

More to come, thanks for looking as always...
Old 05-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
Drftr915
Zilvia Junkie

Drftr915 is an unknown quantity at this point
So beautiful, and motivating, I am just about to go to work at putting my vvl head on, let me know if you have any advice.
Drftr915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #12
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
everything is soo clean. bravo on the good work.
Edwin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #13
fearlessKouki
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
fearlessKouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
very clean!! good luck!
fearlessKouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #14
Killa_D
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (39)
Killa_D can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Very clean indeed loving the attention to detailing the motor looks amazing props.
Killa_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #15
stilmissmysti
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
stilmissmysti is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Glad someone knows how to do shhh right
stilmissmysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:53 AM   #16
B-Rod15
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (8)
B-Rod15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
My hat is off to you sir ! Awesome work!!
B-Rod15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:09 AM   #17
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Awesome bay! I will be doing the same thing come this fall/winter. Any tips or tricks you can give that you encountered during the whole process?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:15 AM   #18
jdm2191
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (79)
jdm2191 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
Bay looks awesome, even better with the engine!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #19
jellomonk

Trader Rating: (0)
jellomonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Man it's looking awesome, can't wait to see where you go from here.
jellomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #20
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drftr915 View Post
So beautiful, and motivating, I am just about to go to work at putting my vvl head on, let me know if you have any advice.
Thank you. If you have any questions feel free to PM me, I'll help you out if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin562 View Post
everything is soo clean. bravo on the good work.
Thank you kind sir. I'm keeping my eye on "Whitey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessKouki View Post
very clean!! good luck!
Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa_D View Post
Very clean indeed loving the attention to detailing the motor looks amazing props.
Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilmissmysti View Post
Glad someone knows how to do shhh right
Right in my eyes I suppose, not sure about others, but thank you for the compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod15 View Post
My hat is off to you sir ! Awesome work!!
Thank you sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Awesome bay! I will be doing the same thing come this fall/winter. Any tips or tricks you can give that you encountered during the whole process?
Killer, my biggest piece of advice, take your time. Do not rush it because that's when you start to cut corners. Trust me, there will be times where your fed up and just want it done. Keep everything clean and where latex gloves to keep grease/oils from your hands off the primer or prepped surfaces. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2191 View Post
Bay looks awesome, even better with the engine!
Thanks, I have more coming tonight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellomonk View Post
Man it's looking awesome, can't wait to see where you go from here.
Give it 12hrs, you'll see...

Thanks for all the kind words guys...
Old 05-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #21
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have lost all interest in my SR build after seeing how big those intake ports are. I had no idea there was that much of a difference!

Do work man! Looking good!
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #22
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Let me know how you like your GTX turbo once its all running. I have been waiting for over a year now for my BW EFR turbo and will most likely be switching to a GTX series if it takes any longer hah
Old 05-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #23
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehundredoctane View Post
I have lost all interest in my SR build after seeing how big those intake ports are. I had no idea there was that much of a difference!

Do work man! Looking good!
Thank you sir! I too was unaware of the difference in port sizes. I had both heads side by side at one point to look at. It's amazing that they are both SR heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imarvin240 View Post
Let me know how you like your GTX turbo once its all running. I have been waiting for over a year now for my BW EFR turbo and will most likely be switching to a GTX series if it takes any longer hah
Marvin, I will let you know how I like it. I had a GT3071R on the old SR setup, so I can't really compare the two. Either way, boost should come on soon and strong. I'm hearing these new GTX turbos hit like your being rear ended.

Anyway, more on the build...

Once I finished with the sensor, I went on to making an aluminum bracket to mount my VVL solenoid block to the passenger strut tower. I wanted to hide the block as much as possible, so this was the final mounting location. I actually had to flip the bracket 180 because once the IACV was mounted on the underside of the manifold, it wouldn't allow the manifold to bolt up to the head. I ended up with an 1/8 gap between the IACV and the solenoid block when the IM is bolted into place. Then I ran the feed/purge lines to their respective ports.

I think around the beginning of the year I had my manifold and turbo ex. housing sent to Zfever so they could get it thermal coated for me. I went and picked it up two weeks later on my way to a dyno meet in Tampa.

As plenty of us know, when you remove the condenser from an s-chassis it leaves a huge void on the sides of the radiator. So, with a little time I had available, I made some airdams for the sides of the radiator. It's 1/8 aluminum, we have an abundance of it at work, so I cut what I needed. Air obviously travels in the path of least resistance, so leaving those holes unattended would've lowered my cooling efficieny and SR's have a tendancy to run hot, so this was a little bit of insurance. I will be sealing the tighter areas with some weather stripping, however this alone is a cheap and effective mod and will serve it's purpose. Dont mind the bent fins, I'll be straightening the majority of them out. I've had this radiator since 06' and it's treated me well. The hole in the second picture is for my oil cooler lines. I plan to have my cooler mounted right behind the grill. More on that later.

I converted my old atmospheric oil catch can into a vacuum sourced catch can. I'll be utilizing an exhaust venturi for the vacuum source, which stills needs tobe installed into my down pipe.
Making the lines and lines completed below...

Oil cooler lines thus far. I need to purchase some more line to finish the run from the thermostat to the cooler itself.

And my throttle cable that is hidden until it pokes out to land in the bracket.

At this point I've begun to slow down on the build. A lot of little things that are getting put together, but they aren't interesting. I've also started the relocation of the fuse/relay box and I'll get pictures of it when it's mounted. It's a very tedious task doing the wiring, a lot of patience is needed. Sometimes I swear I have tourette's and scream obscenities when I screw up or get lost. Thanks for looking, still pluggin away at her. I'll leave it with a current status picture of the engine bay.

Last edited by jr_ss; 05-15-2012 at 03:52 PM..
jr_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #24
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
VVL for life. What cams are you running again? Stock 2.0? or the N1's?

Never mind I see stock. Did you mod your exhaust manifold yet? If it's a DE flange on it the ports don't line up. The manifold needs to go up a little and it will be golden.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #25
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
VVL for life. What cams are you running again? Stock 2.0? or the N1's?

Never mind I see stock. Did you mod your exhaust manifold yet? If it's a DE flange on it the ports don't line up. The manifold needs to go up a little and it will be golden.
Yes, stock cams...

I already took care of the manifold issue. Oblonged the bolt holes then used a borescope to make sure Cyl 1&4 were up high enough. Then I torqued it down...
Old 05-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #26
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
This is amazing so far! Subscribed for sure!
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #27
Drftr915
Zilvia Junkie

Drftr915 is an unknown quantity at this point
I subscribed too, very beautiful worksmanship, pure art. I hope mine comes together like this.
Drftr915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #28
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
cool project
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #29
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
JR, this thing looks like it's going to be a beast. I'll be looking forward to your updates.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #30
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Man, this looks awesome- great job! The pics of you sanding the bay made me cringe... I for sure do NOT miss that! I'm sure you don't either, haha.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote