Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:36 PM   #211
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
foreverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
i ended up setting the k in the bay (sorry no photo) and holy shit is the stock pan tall! height difference with the tf pan is insane. can't wait. *insert fry shut up and take my money meme*

The K24 its very tall are you trying to keep it under the hood?
foreverdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #212
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverdeath View Post
The K24 its very tall are you trying to keep it under the hood?
i'm well aware haha yeah i've got an origin type 2 hood that should help with clearance hopefully
Old 07-25-2019, 12:43 AM   #213
deolio
Post Whore!

deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
finally got around to fixing the hatch... kinda...

i decided to go with an oem pan just to make things simple... and then realized the xcessive pan had the brace incorporated into the upper pan, meaning the transmission, clutch, and flywheel needed to be removed just to get to the back two bolts.

i threw in the towel and tagged in my buddy (with the z32) and had him do it lol ended up giving him the green light to whack the brace off the pan and he popped that shit right off. while he was at it, i also had him replace the xcessive motor mount brackets with some oem units, which shifted the motor to the left and up about 3/4", paired with the oe pan, it all sits about 2" higher than before, high above the crossmember and swaybar

a side effect of raising the motor though, is now the rad hose and fmic piping setup is all fucked up. gotta rebuild the hoses to be about 1/2" longer and either have a custom coldpipe built or try to squeeze a 45° coupler in there. AND gotta figure out what's going on with my altenator, but aside from that it's good to go. took it out for a little rip up and down the street. slow, but feels solid.

(pull video cuz zilvia won't let it embed) https://imgur.com/LBkB9ve

SOOOO CLOSE!

Old 08-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #214
deolio
Post Whore!

some parts for the k came in. started messing around with it a bit.

finally scored a brix and a driver side mo rail. pure comfort!

after a bit of research i found the correct alt. previous owner removed all numbers from the alt so figuring out it was a quest 125 (and which design) took a minute. swapped the front piece since the old one had been "machined" (or hacksawed???) to work on ka.

also, pulled the whole rad setup. tired fo dealing with stupid mishimoto shit and an fittings. new koyorad and oem shroud on the way.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #215
deolio
Post Whore!

busted ass this week to get the car ready for an event this weekend. i replaced the thermostat housing and chopped off the -an fitting from the upper water neck (and re-sealed it with green locktite) so i could switch to a koyorad, oe shroud, and gk clutch fan. turned the car on and there was a weird noise. thought it was the alt for some reason, but eventually found the vacuum cap for the brake booster was split and causing a crazy whistle noise. i had to frankenstein the cold side intercooler piping to clear the new rad hose and then bled the cooling system. i couldn't manage to get it to go any higher than 174°f even with cardboard in front of the rad. the thermostat is supposed to open at 170° so i figured it'd be good to go.

ran out of time to wash the car and couldn't find anywhere to rinse it off at the track

i was the first one on the track. i spun out twice, forgetting how bad the front rubs without tubs hahaha

temps looked good and the car was running great so i went out for a couple more runs with the run up dudes. made me notice how quick the hatch is. seriously feels just as fast as the coupe, if not faster, granted the hatch was on 235 rsr's instead of 225 kr20's.

i went to go back out and the car wouldn't start. after looking around the engine bay and checking fuses, i realized i clutch kicked so hard i broke the little plastic bushing thing that hits the clutch safety switch. started the car and started driving, but my water temp started shooting up super quickly. i shut the car down and noticed the thermostat housing was leaking.

i waited for the car to cool down and checked the coolant level and it seemed to be fine. turned it back on and the temps stabilized around 198°. as soon as i started driving the temps started climbing slowly and then shot up to 260° out of nowhere! the stock temp gauge stayed at below the halfway mark this entire time btw. no idea wtf was going on. i'm guessing a big ass bubble in the cooling system?

let the car cool down again so i could move it back to the pits and attempt to bleed it again. when i started it, a weird noise started coming from the front of the head. sounded like timing chain rattle at first, but then got super sporadic, like something metallic was bouncing around in there.

popped the oil cap off and looked in the valve cover, but couldn't see anything. i decided to err on the side of caution and called it a day. hopefully it isn't anything serious. sick of this shit
Old 09-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #216
da_crew10
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
da_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond reputeda_crew10 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
May the car gods bless your KA with a quick and easy recovery!
da_crew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #217
deolio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_crew10 View Post
May the car gods bless your KA with a quick and easy recovery!
thanks!

i went and took a look at it this weekend. let the car idle for a bit to chase down the location of the sound. really seemed to be coming from the front cover/head area. pulled the valve cover and the chain guides looked brand new, as well as the head (not a spec of sludge or carbon buildup in sight). looked around and couldn't find any metal shavings or loose nut or bolt anywhere so i put the valve cover back on. figured the next logical source was the water pump, which would also explain the overheating issue. pulled the belt and started up and sure enough the sound went away. the water pump looks brand new so i'm not sure why or how it went bad, but it seems like the impeller possibly may have fallen off, which would be extra strange... guess i'll find out next weekend when i get to pull apart the cooling system for the 6,000th time
Old 09-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #218
deolio
Post Whore!

i pulled the water pump off yesterday and it looked totally fine. went ahead and replaced it with a new oem one anyway. also installed a swirl pot to avoid any future bleeding issues. conveniently the fittings supplied in the pbm kit are the same size as the accessory port in the koyorad and then just drilled and tapped the upper water neck.

and finally got around to wiring/plumbing my boost gauge, which required a little bit of assistance lol

should hopefully FINALLY be good to go for the next drift event in 2 weeks.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #219
deolio
Post Whore!

whelp, i finally drove it on the street for real from the track to the hotel and back twice (about 10 min each way) and everything seemed to be in working order. solid temps, motor running perfect, boost stable up to 7psi, afr looking perfect...

got about 4 runs in and then it started cutting fuel at/near wot. checked the fuel filter, maf, tps, changed the fpr vacuum source, nothing changed. i could do one run and it would work fine, but the second run, it would sporadically cut fuel.

one of the rear tires started leaking randomly when i got home. so i finally put these 18's on for the first time. sbc is such an amazing color sparked a little motivation to fix the car

another 2 weeks until the next event (that my team and run up are hosting) to figure out wtf is going on with this heap of shit. sure would be nice to get a full event in before the end of the year
Old 10-15-2019, 07:51 AM   #220
JIMB0
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
JIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
great job Max, i hope you figure out the issues. this is one of my fav 180's
Old 10-17-2019, 10:16 AM   #221
eagleeyes221
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
eagleeyes221 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
[QUOTE=
got about 4 runs in and then it started cutting fuel at/near wot. checked the fuel filter, maf, tps, changed the fpr vacuum source, nothing changed. i could do one run and it would work fine, but the second run, it would sporadically cut fuel. [/QUOTE]

Similar thing happened to my buddy. his issue ended up being a rusted out gas tank. Rust would clog the fuel sock causing starvation but when the car sat for 10 minutes it would be fine again
eagleeyes221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #222
deolio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMB0 View Post
great job Max, i hope you figure out the issues. this is one of my fav 180's
thanks jimmy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleeyes221 View Post
Similar thing happened to my buddy. his issue ended up being a rusted out gas tank. Rust would clog the fuel sock causing starvation but when the car sat for 10 minutes it would be fine again
hmm possible. i don't recall the tank being particularly rusty when i upgraded the fuel pump, but that would make sense. i'll have to give it a look thanks!
Old 11-17-2019, 04:39 PM   #223
deolio
Post Whore!

^i checked the gas tank and it's clean.

i thought i got the car working right before our event because i couldn't get to recreate the same issue on the street, but of course 2nd run at the track it did the same shit again. i brought a known working maf and distributor to the track and nothing changed. checked everything i could think of, but still couldn't figure it out event with the help of two ka-t wizards. there are a few more things i can try but god damn is it frustrating.

bought a pair of nr disc 18" sp1's and put the faces on the lips/barrels i had with sl disc faces and then bought some new lips + barrels from vr so now i have a full set of 18's in x9 +11 (nr) and x9.5 +18 (sl). just need to figure out how to recreate sbc so i can match the front faces...

if i didn't have a bunch of cool things waiting to go on this thing i probably would have given up by now

and phase 1 of the tf-works k-swap kit is out so.....
Old 11-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #224
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
and phase 1 of the tf-works k-swap kit is out so.....
BOI that kit has me feeling some type of way.
Kswap2020?
Old 11-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #225
deolio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_s13 View Post
BOI that kit has me feeling some type of way.
Kswap2020?
makes too much sense not to! realistically probably won't have it done till 2021 unless i send the hatch off a cliff in frustration
Old 11-17-2019, 04:58 PM   #226
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Quote:
makes too much sense not to! realistically probably won't have it done till 2021 unless i send the hatch off a cliff in frustration
LOL. With how cheap the engine/trans are, its perfect.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:18 PM   #227
deolio
Post Whore!

Quote:
LOL. With how cheap the engine/trans are, its perfect.
truuuuu

so i attempted to drive another event at the end of november, but didn't even make it to the track this time the car made the 1.5hr drive home from the shop with no issues other than some drivetrain noise and an intermittent vibration. about 45 min into the drive to the track, the vibration began to increase. felt like a wheel was going to fuckin fly off. checked the lugs and bearings and did a quick bolt check (as good as i could on the side of an offramp). said fuck it and hopped back on the freeway and the trans wouldn't shift to 4th smoothly and only made it another 15 minutes before the vibration became unbearable. found a hotel and a friend with a trailer to rescue me in the morning. the next day when i moved the car, the ground was COVERED in oil and the drivetrain was SCREAMING when the clutch was engaged. i parked the car at the shop and didn't touch till this week.

fun things - new things - yay!

got some new bits painted to provide motivation

andddd back to dumb mechanical bullshit

driveshaft way crooked lol

carrier bearing was shot and the input shaft on the trans was super wobbly. i definitely should have just thrown my 1pc in there to start with

up front, oil everywhere yayyyyy

after dropping the pan, i found the rtv on the pan was the only thing making a seal, but the bolts were tight, so apparently the bolts were just too long and bottomed out. i cleaned it up and put an oem gasket on. also, gotta tighten up that damn oil feed fitting...

seeing the light at the end of the tunnel though. only a half dozen items on the final bout prep list this time around maybe i'll actually make it hahaha

Last edited by deolio; 01-29-2020 at 11:35 AM..
deolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:49 AM   #228
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

foreverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the rough
Quote:

after dropping the pan, i found the rtv on the pan was the only thing making a seal, but the bolts were tight, so apparently the bolts were just too long and bottomed out. i cleaned it up and put an oem gasket on. also, gotta tighten up that damn oil feed fitting...
There is no oil pan gasket its suppost to be RTV like most modern motors. Sounds like a bad time the tranny, just put the K in already you wont regret it.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
foreverdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:50 PM   #229
deolio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverdeath View Post
There is no oil pan gasket its suppost to be RTV like most modern motors. Sounds like a bad time the tranny, just put the K in already you wont regret it.[emoji6]
i bought the pan brand new from nissan and it came with a gasket. figured i'd give it a shot this time

the k will go in the coupe. just wanna get the hatch sorted first before fully diving in.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #230
JIMB0
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
JIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really niceJIMB0 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
i hope you get this thing fixed soon bud!
Old 01-29-2020, 08:13 AM   #231
Bluejayde
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Bluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond reputeBluejayde has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Is that a roof wing on your hood or what? Not hating, I kinda like it.
Bluejayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #232
240sx_sr20det
Nissanaholic!

240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection240sx_sr20det is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejayde View Post
Is that a roof wing on your hood or what? Not hating, I kinda like it.
URAS Hood Cowl wing thing! They're so rad! I wish I could find one for the R32.

This is an awesome build! Love the simplicity of it, and it looks so good.

Hope you get all your issues solved before the next event
240sx_sr20det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #233
deolio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sx_sr20det View Post
URAS Hood Cowl wing thing! They're so rad! I wish I could find one for the R32.

This is an awesome build! Love the simplicity of it, and it looks so good.

Hope you get all your issues solved before the next event
just some generic yaj find. all the legit ones have been discontinued.

thanks! i appreciate it
Old 03-26-2020, 06:18 PM   #234
deolio
Post Whore!

next on the list was giving the gas tank a really good cleaning. there was an insane amount of particulate in that bitch. i couldn't tell just how bad it was where there was gas in it. once it was empty and dry, it looked like a damn beach in there. one good vacuum and a can of brake clean later it was nearly good as new.

got the car back together and took it for a drive. it did great on the little 20 minute drive until on the way back about a block away from the shop i heard something metal fall off the car. there was a bunch of traffic, so i didn't stop. when i got to the shop, i jacked the car up to figure out what it was, and one of the subframe retainer/brackets had fallen off. my friend was nice enough to stop and pick it up off the roadway for me, but not before it had been run over by a car or two.

a few whacks with the hammer and it was good as new

went to put it back on, but couldn't get it to bolt up for the life of me. the subframe bushings were just way too fuckin tall to get it threaded on. after doing some research, apparently z32 energy suspension bushings are different than s14 energy suspension bushings, even though every other manufacturer in the world seems to use the same bushing for z32/c33/s13/r32/etc, which apparently means the bushing is taller. rather than fuck around and whack them to be shorter with a sawzall, i ordered some new delrin bushings from Dayton One to give a shot. threw in some new z33 axles while i was at it. (these GSP axles from rock auto come with the goood boots too)

i did full riser in the rear with one shim in the front for a little more traction and boy did it change my suspension geometry. the car couldn't even go all the way down because the tire was binding so hard on the qp. luckily i had a 3mm spacer on, which when removed, along with about a degree of negative camber, was just enough to clear without major rubbing.

i got tired of my faded blue seats, so i sprayed them with some interior paint. the left here is already painted, right is not.

after a few coats, the right got much darker. the left one is far more worn and fabric is somewhat polished, which is why it looks dirty/patchy. they look like shit here tbh, but in the car they look a lot better!

paid a visit to some friends in socal and did some filming at final bout and picked up some new parts along the way. riding through downtown la at midnight during quarantine in john's supra was super rad haha

moved into a new house this month and brought the car home. the garage was in need of some serious love. black walls on one side, unfinished and unpainted on the other

using leftover paint, my room mate and i coated it in white and decorated it a bit with random shit we've collected over the years. looks much better and is way nicer to work in now.

tree out front matches

gone for a few short drives here and there the past couple weeks and the car has been working pretty much flawlessly, aside from 3rd gear in the new trans grinding but no oil leaks anywhere makes me happy! there is a lot more in store for this thing once this pandemic is quashed

stay safe dudes!
Old 03-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #235
deolio
Post Whore!

time to retire these old stock headlights

got some raybrig housings

and some super bright LED h4 conversion bulbs

overall height is pretty compact and even works with the rubber boot. hopefully it doesn't fuck with the heat sink too much...

way better and matches the color of the running lights almost identically
Old 04-04-2020, 10:18 PM   #236
deolio
Post Whore!

finally got around to wiring up these ganador tails i've had sitting around. bought some sweet deutsch plugs (because for whatever reason the kouki tails were hardwired) and proceeded to stab myself in the thumb 9000 times pinning them.

also went through the fun process of wiring up the stereo finally...

figuring out wtf the guy who wired the car did took far too long and there's some weird stuff going on so i guess i didn't quite figure it out???

i was gonna wait till final bout, but since this would the weekend and no idea if there will even be another one, i guess it's time to break out the new aero

rus also painted bryan's car, who was gonna drive ssnw with us. came out pretty raddddd
Old 04-05-2020, 02:46 AM   #237
Olly
Zilvia Member

Olly is making a name for him/her selfOlly is making a name for him/her self
Love it man the new aero rules
Olly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:59 AM   #238
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

You're my fkn hero
Old 04-06-2020, 06:33 AM   #239
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
So when does the Honda engine go in??
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #240
deolio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly View Post
Love it man the new aero rules
Quote:
You're my fkn hero
thanks guys! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
So when does the Honda engine go in??
when i have steady income again 🙃 thanks corvidddd