Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
elpelon

Trader Rating: (0)
elpelon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 S14 lower control arms JDM USDM Compatible

Redoing the front end on my 96 240sx, I am new to 240's, but have moderate experience with sports and muscle cars. Had the car up on jackstands to do the tie rods and I noticed that the bushings and ball joints on the front lower control arm need attention. I found this on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Godspeed-Nissa.../dp/B00B43T6IO

It Says 240sx, but also JDM as well. My concern is that JDM being RHD would be different than a USDM LDH part. I have beeen looking online and there are different part numbers for R and L sides. Will this be an issue?

Car is to be a daily driver with possibly an occasional autocross. Not into extreme drifting, or such.

Tried searching the forums, but I couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.
elpelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Dude most of Godspeed stuff isn't great quality... That's why the description blows if you're dailying just stay stock... These aren't what you want
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #3
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Get a set of Moog S14 speicifc ball joints from Rockauto for 47 shipped for the pair. Go to any autoparts store and rent a ball joint installer/remover. Do both sides and you should be all set

I just did both my sides last week and it took me about 45 mins.

The part number for the S14 Ball joint is (from Moog): K9820

Also, to note (and these are VERY important):
1) S13 and S14 control arms are NOT the same!
2) S13 and S14 ball joints (front lower) are NOT the same
3) Most part suppliers will have the same number for both S13 and S14. Take special note and realize this or you will get a S13 and it won't work on the S14
4) Godspeed, Isis, and all the other garbage should NEVER be used in any suspension components of the sort. The material quality is sub par at best, and when they fail, you run the rick of damaging both yourself, your car and worst case, other's vehicles as they fail on the highway
5) Right and left S14 ball joints are the SAME!

Goodluck
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
heychris
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (20)
heychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura aboutheychris has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
The ISIS stuff is fine for daily, however if you plan to run GS - ISIS etc you should upgrade the rod ends to Aurora ends....

Ch

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
heychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #5
elpelon

I hate to hear that, but I was afraid it was too good to be true (Re Godspeed Parts) It would have solved a lot of problems. I already have a compleat set of Tien inner and outer Tie rods. The plan was to install them yesterday and do a brake job while I had everything apart, but when I got the car up on the stands and the wheels off I discovered the rack boot was all ripped up, The brake pads were the wrong ones, and the sway bar end links were shot also. (Apparently that was making most of the noise I've been hearing) I live in a little hick town, so the local parts store didn't have any of those parts in stock. I have them on order (Moog End-Links). Anyway, since I was under there, I started checking deeper, and found that in addition to the slightly worn ball joints, the tension rod end bushings were tearing in the middle, even though it appears that the prior owner had installed nice adjustable aftermarket units. The car has 128K on the clock. I was hoping to avoid installing/removing bushings by getting a compleat unit with the bushings already installed, as I have very limited facilities to work in. I do have a pretty good set of hand tools and a ball joint separator, and the control arms are in good shape other than the bushings/joints needing replacing. It looks like the best route considering my budget and facilities, is to replace the joints and bushings on my existing parts, even though it will be a lot more work.
I saw some youtube vids of people using home-made "redneck" bushing tools, and I think that might be the route to go. None of the auto parts stores in this area carry bushing tool kits.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Godspeed parts. I will post an update as to how things go.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #6
CaliforniaMayhem
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
CaliforniaMayhem is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Good info here. I might just order some Moog ball joints for my s13 now.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
CaliforniaMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
elpelon

s14

Saw a tool on Amazon yesterday for doing bushings. It's kinda pricey at $440 USD, but I figure when I'm done with my 240, I can use it on the wife-mobile, my ford sedan, and I believe I will soon be inheriting an 89 GMC short stepside that needs a lot of "Suspension Jesus". It would pay for itself in short order. Supposedly this tool kit removes and installs ALMOST any bushing with good hand tools. Unfortunately I believe it is a bit too small for the rear subframe bushes. but it looks like the ticket for most of the others.

http://www.amazon.com/Schley-SCH1110...ng+tool+manual

There is a youtube vid of a guy using one. It looks stupid easy.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
^^ Except, the balljoint is not a bushing, so the tool is not applicable
Old 05-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
silnv
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (39)
silnv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Send a message via AIM to silnv
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
^^ Except, the balljoint is not a bushing, so the tool is not applicable
Except he is talking about using it on bushings.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silnv View Post
Except he is talking about using it on bushings.
LOL! I was keeping on topic as far as him wanting to change balljoints
Old 05-08-2014, 06:42 AM   #11
elpelon

Actually, the topic was lower control arms. There is a bushing on one end and a ball joint on the other, so you are both correct. Frankly, I have never done either, so any input is appreciated.
Have a funeral out of town this weekend, so it looks like next weekend, or the following before I tackle this, Oklahoma weather permitting.