Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
DonVaughnS13
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 42
Trader Rating: (2)
DonVaughnS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Catch Can Setup Problem

Hello fellow Zilvians,

I've searched and been through much of the catch can setup threads. Because of their age most have missing photos/broken links/scattered information.

I currently have a stock SR20DET setup with a new ISR air intake. I'm looking to add a catch can setup however there is no bung for the return line from the catch can after the MAF in the piping. I read this is where the line should go from the catch can.

Is there an alternative solution to successfully setting this up? I'm already aware of how to set much of it up, I just seem to have difficulty figuring this out.

Thank you in advance.
DonVaughnS13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
S14rebuild
Nissanaholic!
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Florida-FAIL
Posts: 2,270
Trader Rating: (7)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Add a fitting to the intake... hose barb or an fitting......
S14rebuild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
DonVaughnS13
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 42
Trader Rating: (2)
DonVaughnS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Add a fitting to the intake... hose barb or an fitting......
Thanks. That is my first idea. However I read there is a restrictor on the stock intake piping. I have not been able to find this fitting online. Is this restrictor required?
DonVaughnS13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:32 AM   #4
S14rebuild
Nissanaholic!
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Florida-FAIL
Posts: 2,270
Trader Rating: (7)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Some will say yes, so will say no. Not to hard to add a fitting in the hose to act as a restrictor.
S14rebuild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
DonVaughnS13
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 42
Trader Rating: (2)
DonVaughnS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Some will say yes, so will say no. Not to hard to add a fitting in the hose to act as a restrictor.

Thank you for your help!
DonVaughnS13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #6
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!
 
SupaDoopa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 隠された意図
Age: 33
Posts: 3,421
Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa is not welcome here anymoreSupaDoopa is not welcome here anymoreSupaDoopa is not welcome here anymoreSupaDoopa is not welcome here anymoreSupaDoopa is not welcome here anymoreSupaDoopa is not welcome here anymoreSupaDoopa is not welcome here anymoreSupaDoopa is not welcome here anymoreSupaDoopa is not welcome here anymoreSupaDoopa is not welcome here anymoreSupaDoopa is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVaughnS13 View Post
Thanks. That is my first idea. However I read there is a restrictor on the stock intake piping. I have not been able to find this fitting online. Is this restrictor required?
That's a subjective question. Like S14 said, some do it as a precaution while others swear by it and then there is the crowd that doesn't do it at all. It's personal preference but adding an attachment point is suggested.
__________________
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:46 PM   #7
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!
 
Kingtal0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Florida
Age: 37
Posts: 4,551
Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
If you put a restriction on the hose and fail to measure crankcase pressure while cruising and at idle you run the risk of pulling too much vacuum on the crankcase which will pull all the oil seals into the engine i.e. damage the front and rear main seals. which of course means rebuilding the engine.

So if you dont plan to measure the crankcase pressure properly using a gauge (it should measure approx 2-3" of Hg maximum at all times) then do not use a restrictor at all just leave the hose open.

this will ruin the effects of PCV pressure drop but it will remove any concerns over whether the oil seals will be damaged.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #8
DonVaughnS13
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 42
Trader Rating: (2)
DonVaughnS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
That's a subjective question. Like S14 said, some do it as a precaution while others swear by it and then there is the crowd that doesn't do it at all. It's personal preference but adding an attachment point is suggested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
If you put a restriction on the hose and fail to measure crankcase pressure while cruising and at idle you run the risk of pulling too much vacuum on the crankcase which will pull all the oil seals into the engine i.e. damage the front and rear main seals. which of course means rebuilding the engine.

So if you dont plan to measure the crankcase pressure properly using a gauge (it should measure approx 2-3" of Hg maximum at all times) then do not use a restrictor at all just leave the hose open.

this will ruin the effects of PCV pressure drop but it will remove any concerns over whether the oil seals will be damaged.
Thanks all, it's really appreciated.
DonVaughnS13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #9
TheRealSy90
Premium Member
 
TheRealSy90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maricopa, AZ
Age: 29
Posts: 7,589
Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Wouldn't a restrictor on the hose lower the vacuum applied to that hose...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonrockett View Post
Such a good signature.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:00 PM   #10
d1zguy2
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Virginia
Age: 30
Posts: 17
Trader Rating: (0)
d1zguy2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The PCV side left side of the VC is the one that provides vacuum, not running the right side to intake pre maf will cause a lean condition and no vacuum in the crank case. the restrictor is there to prevent sucking up oil but running a closed catch can is and routing it to the intake pre maf is all you need, the restrictor on the stock hose is there to prevent sucking up actual oil. With a closed catch can you don't actually need it.
d1zguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #11
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!
 
Kingtal0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Florida
Age: 37
Posts: 4,551
Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1zguy2 View Post
The PCV side left side of the VC is the one that provides vacuum, not running the right side to intake pre maf will cause a lean condition and no vacuum in the crank case. the restrictor is there to prevent sucking up oil but running a closed catch can is and routing it to the intake pre maf is all you need, the restrictor on the stock hose is there to prevent sucking up actual oil. With a closed catch can you don't actually need it.
wrong. the restrictor has nothing to do with 'sucking oil'. Look at where it is positioned.

please read
https://www.sr20-forum.com/informati...on.html?page=1

From Ben,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFenner
Without it, idle air is less controllable, and the crank case can't ever really hold a vacuum at all.
Repeat: the restrictor is there to assure the crankcase can hold a vacuum
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #12
d1zguy2
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Virginia
Age: 30
Posts: 17
Trader Rating: (0)
d1zguy2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
wrong. the restrictor has nothing to do with 'sucking oil'. Look at where it is positioned.

please read
https://www.sr20-forum.com/informati...on.html?page=1

From Ben,


Repeat: the restrictor is there to assure the crankcase can hold a vacuum

Well that makes sense. I?ll have to see where the restrictor is so I can replace it when I install a closed catch can. Is it on the stock rubber boot or the stock hose?
d1zguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:04 PM   #13
Calver
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: GA
Posts: 27
Trader Rating: (0)
Calver is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
If you put a restriction on the hose and fail to measure crankcase pressure while cruising and at idle you run the risk of pulling too much vacuum on the crankcase which will pull all the oil seals into the engine i.e. damage the front and rear main seals. which of course means rebuilding the engine.

So if you dont plan to measure the crankcase pressure properly using a gauge (it should measure approx 2-3" of Hg maximum at all times) then do not use a restrictor at all just leave the hose open.

this will ruin the effects of PCV pressure drop but it will remove any concerns over whether the oil seals will be damaged.
That explains it. Learned something new today.
Calver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:43 PM   #14
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!
 
Kingtal0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Florida
Age: 37
Posts: 4,551
Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant futureKingtal0n has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1zguy2 View Post
Well that makes sense. I?ll have to see where the restrictor is so I can replace it when I install a closed catch can. Is it on the stock rubber boot or the stock hose?
this is a picture of stock restrictor for sr20
https://zilvia.net/f/showpost.php?p=...0&postcount=19


however the size of restrictor depends on the flow rate of the pcv system, suction from the intake manifold and size of orifice of pcv valve.

SO if you've modified the intake, the engine, the pcv valve, anything between the intake manifold vacuum signal, the intake port, the pcv system, then the size of the restrictor will need to be adjusted to return the crankcase resting pressure to the correct range of 1-3" Hg,

Anything over 3" Hg can damage the oil pump and ruin the engine seals (engine rebuild)
so err on the large side if in doubt
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:31 PM   #15
d1zguy2
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Virginia
Age: 30
Posts: 17
Trader Rating: (0)
d1zguy2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
this is a picture of stock restrictor for sr20
https://zilvia.net/f/showpost.php?p=...0&postcount=19


however the size of restrictor depends on the flow rate of the pcv system, suction from the intake manifold and size of orifice of pcv valve.

SO if you've modified the intake, the engine, the pcv valve, anything between the intake manifold vacuum signal, the intake port, the pcv system, then the size of the restrictor will need to be adjusted to return the crankcase resting pressure to the correct range of 1-3" Hg,

Anything over 3" Hg can damage the oil pump and ruin the engine seals (engine rebuild)
so err on the large side if in doubt
Thank you for all the OG info and saved me lots of time and headaches! Replace the forward section, salvaged the restrictor from OEM hose heated up and inserted it into homedepot vynil water hose, fitted a close catchcan.

The restrict or was actually in the hose itself, the boot barb was just a fitting to allow it to take a hose into the stock rubber boot.

d1zguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vB.Sponsors
Copyright © 1998 - 2019, Zilvia.net™