Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #31
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Thedriftbadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-of-E View Post
Thedriftbadger, have you ever daily driven a set of Ohlins or Penske shocks?
Nope, sorry
Thedriftbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #32
Z28ricer
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Z28ricer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedriftbadger View Post
Z28ricer please gtfo. You are shitting all over my thread. I NEVER said these were good. I never said they were better than anything. I never said they arent complete pieces of shit. I don't know what they are yet. I've only had them a day. But by the way you're talking it sounds like you've owned these for years. I know there's better stuff and i know you can spend more and get more or spend less and mix and match and get cool stuff, but why does that even matter when i'm reviewing the fucking racelands. Jesus christ dude seriously get out. No one wants to hear your shit.

See, called it, group hugs amongst those with junk.

Also, I didn't say that you said they were good, I didn't say you stated they were better than anything, in fact the main points in any of my posts were arguing with others, for their own incorrect, or stupid replys.

The point of anyones replys to threads about cheap junk coilovers and people promoting them is that its just flat silly that you'll buy cheap junk and try to justify it when quality stuff can be had in the same price ballpark.
Z28ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #33
rich280zx

rich280zx is an unknown quantity at this point
This threads going down like a high school fight after school. I'm currently on gr2's and twins and its not that bad. No crazy bounciness after bumps and it takes turns better, but still has a shit ton of body roll. Had them for 20k miles now.
rich280zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #34
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28ricer View Post
Because ALMOST everything that's a typical Bolton schassis coilover is going to be in the same group, with varying levels of quality control, and different tiers of repeatability to the adjusters, but almost none with a decent piston design.
And now I've definitely caught your ignorance and I know fora fact that you've been lurking coilover threads around the net and just taking what you've read/heard.

Both my Stances and Fortunes have improve jetting throughout the clicks from their standard coilovers and I know the kind of quality both companies have put it.

Quote:
Sure sounds like your example must have been cut springs, because they do ride far better than cheap coilovers.
When did Tein makes pre-cut springs? I bought mine stock and they have such little travel. If you've owned a set, you'd know.

Quote:
You're right on that first line, everyone wants to cuddle each other over how their cheap junk is good enough, instead of admitting it rides like shit.

Because there aren't a shitload of cheapies already out there that if nothing else at least don't blow within a year, which is about all that can be said for megan, isis, stance, pbm, etc.
Honestly, you can keep on shitting on this thread and you can keep talking about cuddling with other males, but unless you've driven/owned/tested a set of coilovers, your opinion about something you've never tried isn't worth shit. I haven't even mentioned how much hearsay and copy and paste you've slapped on to your responses.

I'm not defending Raceland or cheap coilovers in general. I'm on the side that says your thread shitting shouldn't be credited as a valid opinion.
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #35
Z28ricer
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooopreme View Post
And now I've definitely caught your ignorance and I know fora fact that you've been lurking coilover threads around the net and just taking what you've read/heard.

Both my Stances and Fortunes have improve jetting throughout the clicks from their standard coilovers and I know the kind of quality both companies have put it.

"have improve jetting" seriously ? this is you showing that you know what you're talking about ?

Again, as I've already stated, you don't have a clue what you're talking about. The only thing that even comes close to anything with referring to "jetting" is that the adjusters typically use a needle and seat, or "jet" however there is no "improve jetting" throughout the adjustment range, only adjustment, yes you notice a change throughout the range, that isn't hard to do at all, but your dampers have an extremely high probability of the left and right damper not even coming close to matching when on the same settings.

Quote:
When did Tein makes pre-cut springs? I bought mine stock and they have such little travel. If you've owned a set, you'd know.
I said nothing about precut, I said if they were bottoming out you were probably on a cut set, big difference here.

Quote:
Honestly, you can keep on shitting on this thread and you can keep talking about cuddling with other males, but unless you've driven/owned/tested a set of coilovers, your opinion about something you've never tried isn't worth shit. I haven't even mentioned how much hearsay and copy and paste you've slapped on to your responses.

I'm not defending Raceland or cheap coilovers in general. I'm on the side that says your thread shitting shouldn't be credited as a valid opinion.
Heres something since you claim to be an expert on the "quality both companys put in" (I wish you could comprehend how generic and stupid that sounds), but you can add these to your list, pics from my own collection of R&D.

JIC Magic FLT-A2 piston, http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...09689557_n.jpg

The adjuster seat, machined into the shaft, non removable, highly unlikely to have good enough machining to produce identical force changes damper to damper.

Silkroad RM/A8
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...95530892_n.jpg

Again shaft adjuster seat machined integral to the shaft. Same problems as above.

Bilstein 36MM Standard digressive piston, lightyears ahead of what you'll find in virtually every damper you've played with.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...r/DSCN0914.jpg

Penske "55mm" pistons, top right "high flow linear", others on right standard linear, left side double digressives, and digressive linears

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...40922166_n.jpg

Penske shaft jets and needles, these are what it takes to get a damper with adjustability to actually be worth having an adjustment knob

The ones on the right are Penskes old design 3 Degree needle, the ones to the left are the newest design, originally out of the 8760 damper, but now used in all.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...75331382_n.jpg

Sorry, I don't have any pics of my ohlins parts uploaded at the moment, or the Bilstein COB/RBT pistons.

But i'm going to guess my R&D holds a little more value than yours.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #36
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Things like this are those kind of things that are better left being bought once. 500$ and change or whatever you paid isn't like saying 'oh well, it was a 100$ experiment." No. It was over 5 times that. Go grab a good set of PBM's or FA's or something and roll hard on something good you can feel comfortable beating the shit out of because after looking at your car, they're going to go through an absolute shit storm.

Last thing you want is to snap a coil and your car explode into oblivion. Or something.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #37
Z28ricer
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
Things like this are those kind of things that are better left being bought once. 500$ and change or whatever you paid isn't like saying 'oh well, it was a 100$ experiment." No. It was over 5 times that. Go grab a good set of PBM's or FA's or something and roll hard on something good you can feel comfortable beating the shit out of because after looking at your car, they're going to go through an absolute shit storm.

Last thing you want is to snap a coil and your car explode into oblivion. Or something.

The bold part, one of very few typically used Bolton coilovers that I wouldn't throw in the scrap pile if you gave them to me.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #38
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
You've strayed far from the original post. You've shown you're good at taking dampers apart--nice R&D (that's research and development, in case, you were wondering). Congratulations. There were some cookies for you but I was too busy eating them while you decided to upload some photos from facebook to show how great at dismantling you are. Gold star, man. Gold star.

How difficult is it to just stay out of this thread? You're bright enough to earn a gold star but too stupid to shut up.

The way I see it you hold little credibility for a review thread about a brand you've never tried yourself. REGARDLESS of how many coilovers you've dismantled yourself, if you've never driven on these, your opinion is just what you've heard from a friend of a friend of a friend of his ex best friend of a guy who thought was his friend.

Nobody and I mean NOBODY said these coilovers were the greatest and they hold as much greatness as your off the shelf brands or whatever brand you've previously dismantled.

And fwiw, jetting really matters to entry level coilover consumers because 1.) it's a marketing sham when ebay brands put out numbers like "36 way dampening" 2.) for cheap brands, the difference between the clicks are so subtle that you may as well have 5 or 7 clicks (exaggeration) 3.) companies like Fortune and Stance actually use quality dampers compared to cheap brands and for Fortune, they supply and fill their own.

Lastly, read up: http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/47261-...on-travel.html, most lowering springs and STOCK designed struts run into this problem. With little shock travel, you call that a quality ride?
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #39
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

I'm just going to ignore your guys arguing cause it doesn't contribute to my thread.
Anyway, i did some drving around tonight on different roads and put a few miles on them. The only time i felt anything i didn't like is when you get 2 or more consective bumps at higher speeds you start to feel like the back is just slightly underdampened (if that's a word). But over one bump or something you won't notice it at all. The roads around here are total garbage too and it seems to handle it pretty well.
After one day i'll say i'm fairly happy. They are pretty stiff though, not too bad.
I have to get the diff welded before i can do any sideways action though. Unless one wheel wonder in the rain counts..Lol
Old 06-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #40
xkamikazestormx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
xkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfectionxkamikazestormx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by supadoopa View Post
because after looking at your car, they're going to go through an absolute shit storm.
hahahahahaha
xkamikazestormx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #41
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

I'm going to make a video from inside the car of driving an e46 bmw then my 240 down the same roads so you can get somewhat of an idea of the ride quality.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #42
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
How is a video isn't going to let you feel ride quality? The mentality of people that come from this state astonishes me at times...
Old 06-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #43
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
How is a video isn't going to let you feel ride quality? The mentality of people that come from this state astonishes me at times...
It will give you a general idea of how harsh it is like if its bounching around or slamming over bumps. You know what, fine i won't make a fucking video. Fuck me for trying to a thorough review.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #44
vehicle336
Zilvia Member

vehicle336 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh Jesus Florida... WTF is in the water down there?

Quote:
It will give you a general idea of how harsh it is like if its bounching around or slamming over bumps. You know what, fine i won't make a fucking video. Fuck me for trying to a thorough review.
No, fuck you for buying Racelands.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #45
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I'm all for a detailed review, but a video isn't going to let you feel anything. It may give hints to a point, but if your going to do that, you need to do multiple suspensions on the same chassis at the same heights with the same alignments. Going from a BMW to an S-chassis is not an apples to apples comparison.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #46
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I'm all for a detailed review, but a video isn't going to let you feel anything. It may give hints to a point, but if your going to do that, you need to do multiple suspensions on the same chassis at the same heights with the same alignments. Going from a BMW to an S-chassis is not an apples to apples comparison.
Well i don't own multiple s13's. Sorry.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #47
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vehicle336 View Post
Oh Jesus Florida... WTF is in the water down there?

No, fuck you for buying Racelands.
You obviously haven't read the thread.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #48
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
DJ-of-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
jr_ss's explanation is still is valid. Coilovers or Shock/Spring setups are only just 1 part of the suspension setup. The arms, chassis, position of coilovers, etc, are all just one part of the suspension. Going from S-Chassis to BMW is more like apples to fuckin cheesecake. Whip cream on cheesecake taste better than on an apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post
its not "DRIFT" tax its a "IDIOT" tax Period!
DJ-of-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #49
Miguelone
Zilvia Member

Miguelone is an unknown quantity at this point
Whipped cream sounds horrible on cheesecake...
Miguelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #50
BoredEE
Leaky Injector

BoredEE is an unknown quantity at this point
What about whipped cream on an apple?

(this thread was ruined, sigh, I'm just sticking a fork into it)
BoredEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #51
Zilvia Member

3411 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey man good review post keep the thread updated.

its funny i always see every one talking shit but i have yet to see some one help pay for "better coilovers"

keep the updates if any thing go's bad and so on
3411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #52
Galaxy _S14
Leaky Injector

Galaxy _S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hell ive had racelands for 2 years never had a single problem..

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk 2
Galaxy _S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #53
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3411 View Post
hey man good review post keep the thread updated.

its funny i always see every one talking shit but i have yet to see some one help pay for "better coilovers"

keep the updates if any thing go's bad and so on
Wait what?
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #54
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

The point of the bmw was to show what the road was, not to compare the ride to.
And whipped cream of cheesecake sounds fine to me.
My thread is dead anyway, but i will keep posting about longevity and such so there's some info out here about these.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #55
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy _S14 View Post
Hell ive had racelands for 2 years never had a single problem..

I see it says s14 in your name. They dont make these for s14's. So you either have an s13 also or you're lying
Old 06-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #56
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

If you all haven't noticed i'm a pretty easy going guy. I don't really get upset but some of you are just too much. I bought these expecting to replace them within a year. My stock stuff was on it's way out and i didn't want to spend a ton of cash but i prefer new stuff. Racelands are what i ended up with. I figured i'd contribute to the 240 community by doing a review on them for other people who are in a similar situation. It's simple as that. Can you guys please cut me some slack, i get it the video is a stupid idea and i won't do it. And racelands are cheap, i got it.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #57
Galaxy _S14
Leaky Injector

Galaxy _S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I see it says s14 in your name. They dont make these for s14's. So you either have an s13 also or you're lying
I have them on my db7 integra .....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371791378888.jpg (122.7 KB, 15 views)
Galaxy _S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #58
DJ 21o3
Zilvia Junkie

DJ 21o3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hopefully a few mods can clean this up. I understand what the OP is doing. Pesonally, the cheapest I would ever go is Fortune Auto...but the fall semester coming is keeping me from going more expensive right now.
I can understand where he is coming from and he even admitted he knew they wouldn't be top notch and planned to replace them soon. Why drive a monster truck for another year saving for some nice coils when you could slam it cheap and still be able to get the nice coils the next year?
DJ 21o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:25 AM   #59
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Fortune Auto or bust. Best thing out there imo. They don't win Time Attack all the time for nothing.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #60
jr_ss
Post Whore!

The problem with most people purchasing coilovers is all they care about for the most part is how low they go. If you can't slam the proverbial S-chassis dick in the dirt, no one gives a fuck. Going that low means no matter how well the valving/spring setups are, it's doing to ride like shit, plain and simple. Obviously this doesn't pertain to this end users review and that surprises me because that seems like the trend as of late. So, congrats OP for not wanting to pound dirt with your S-chassis dick...