Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #1
Walkerbondd
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Walkerbondd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s14 S14 Sunroof trim replacement found

No affiliation to this guy... stumbled upon this on eBay this morning.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/240sx-Silvi...4+sunroof.TRS0

Looks like us s14 sunroof guys are in luck! I plan on ordering one of these, I will update this thread with the results!
Walkerbondd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Wow man $200

mine is all broken to hell. So I took some of my tire shield plastic and cut a strip from that, a nice long wavy strip, and permatexed that shit around the sunroof and painted it back with $1 walmart paint and its been leak free since (cost $1)

isn't the whole point of 240sx that you dont actually need money to operate and maintain one? lol jk carry on
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #3
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
This is interesting and I am looking forward to some better pic showing the quality. A lot of people are confused as to what this part actually does. It is not designed to form a water tight seal against the roof skin, but only to keep larger debris out like leaves, etc. There is a channel around the sunroof frame, under the glass, with a drain hose connected at each corner that lead and drain into the rockers under the door. If you are experiencing leaks, one of these hoses have come disconnected or are clogged.
C. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
it looks like he only has one, so posting a review/results is kind of pointless unless you just want to showoff your new trim.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:01 AM   #5
C. Anderson
Zilvia Addict

C. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeC. Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman2334 View Post
it looks like he only has one, so posting a review/results is kind of pointless unless you just want to showoff your new trim.
Not necessarily. Whoever made them could more than likely make more.
C. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:12 AM   #6
Walkerbondd
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Anderson View Post
Not necessarily. Whoever made them could more than likely make more.
I ended up purchasing the item, I messaged the seller asking if he has a mold.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #7
Vvtikouki

Trader Rating: (0)
Vvtikouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any word on the fitment? Any luck with a mold?
Vvtikouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #8
Walkerbondd
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vvtikouki View Post
Any word on the fitment? Any luck with a mold?
Hey man, unfortunately after purchasing the item the seller cancelled the transaction saying his replacement trims are not “to his standards” understandable but BS. I was really looking forward to finally having a trim and hopefully helping the community out too haha.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #9
s14fiend

s14fiend is an unknown quantity at this point
subscribed
Old 03-24-2019, 09:38 PM   #10
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Go to a junkyard, find some mid 90s Infiniti G20, same sunroof...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:43 AM   #11
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

Sforteen is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Go to a junkyard, find some mid 90s Infiniti G20, same sunroof...
Have you personally verified this?
Sforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #12
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sforteen View Post
Have you personally verified this?
I can only find one other post that says to use the g20 sunroof, and its from this same guy in 2012. I feel like if it were true it would have become common knowledge by now. I too would like some verification.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #13
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

I actually went and looked today, local wrecking yard had a 95 G20 sunroof.. it looks close and layout is the same but it is to large and will not fit, off by a few inchs.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:56 AM   #14
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
I actually went and looked today, local wrecking yard had a 95 G20 sunroof.. it looks close and layout is the same but it is to large and will not fit, off by a few inchs.
It has the same part number iirc. Reason it never became common knowledge is because the few people who knew about it wanted to keep it to themselves. Since I havent owned a S14 since 2014, I dont care at this point.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 03:37 AM   #15
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
It has the same part number iirc. Reason it never became common knowledge is because the few people who knew about it wanted to keep it to themselves. Since I havent owned a S14 since 2014, I dont care at this point.
Its not common knowledge because it doesnt fit.. when you mentioned it in 2012 it still didnt fit..
Old 03-29-2019, 06:40 AM   #16
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Now, is there only one size sunroof for the s14? I think i saw a picture of an s14 that had a manual sunroof, whereas mine had the power one that retracts all the way back. Are they the same?
Old 03-29-2019, 11:09 AM   #17
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
Now, is there only one size sunroof for the s14? I think i saw a picture of an s14 that had a manual sunroof, whereas mine had the power one that retracts all the way back. Are they the same?
Back when these cars were selling from dealerships new, aftermarket sunroof installations where pretty popular.. my guess is that it was just that.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #18
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Back when these cars were selling from dealerships new, aftermarket sunroof installations where pretty popular.. my guess is that it was just that.
Ahh! Yeah, Im aware of aftermarket sunroofs. S30's with aftermarket sunroof in particular give me heartburn.
I just wasn't sure about the 14, since the 13 came with both power and manual if im not mistaken.
Local car for sale in question:

Old 03-29-2019, 10:37 PM   #19
Walkerbondd
Leaky Injector

I’ve got the factory options sheet somewhere for my s14. I believe the sunroofs were only available on SE models and it was called a “power moonroof”. I also believe that if your sunroof is manual it was a dealer installed item, which in that case you can probably find a trim for if you are lucky. But us factort sunroof boys are still SOL. I actually messaged the seller again recently about the trim and never received a response...
Old 03-30-2019, 11:35 AM   #20
feito
Nissanaholic!

The trim on my factory sunroof came off and a few months before I sold the car I tried to fix it. The trim and gasket had basically separated from the glass at one of the corners, so I basically completely took it off, cleaned it up the best I could, and resealed it using windshield sealer, and let it dry for a day. It sealed it and didnt look bad, except now the gasket was too wide, and the sunroof wouldnt go up or down without a little manual help. I just kept it close since then, not like I ever used it much. Still, better than water getting in or duct tape xD
Old 03-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #21
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkerbondd View Post
I believe the sunroofs were only available on SE models and ...
They were an option for the base model as well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #22
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

Be nice if someone with a 3D printer could replicate a replacement!
Old 04-04-2019, 02:46 PM   #23
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
The original flaw with OEM sunroof seems to me that the cover is very good at sealing the small compartment away from the rest of the car, and the portion exposed to atmosphere on top is also small. So water vapor gets trapped between the two spaces and especially when sun hits it- high energy/velocity water molecules and oxygen attack the delicate intricate metal mechanisms contained within this space (it rusts the metal parts at high rate) such that twenty years later every single 240 sunroof with a cover is rusted badly.

The trick of course upon ownership is to immediately restore the surface by sanding/wirebrushing back to mostly plain metal and rust transition state and then painting/coating with some kinda permanent rust inhibitor designed for that state of metal (like a POR-15 which hasn't let me down yet. It doesn't come off of skin or clothing btw...) and then leave the cover open 1/2" or so. That tiny little gap allows the water from above to escape into the car which keeps the water from attacking the metal up there. Which of course if you have alot of it (many days of rain constantly I guess) could be an issue (Solution B: damprid desiccant exchanges) but this all assumes the mechanism survived intact enough to be operational in the first place.

The gap also keeps water from pooling on the inside glass. It just has nowhere to go when the cover is shut tight. Ironic since that is what the cover is designed to do- working as intended.
I Wonder if a spritz of WD40 wouldn't have prevented all of this, once per year or something by the original owners. If they were aware of the issue... how many perfect sunroofs would still be here now. I guess the WD is an ideal solvent/rust inhibitor for the mechanism because it is quite comfortable with water while still functioning as a lubricant. A rare quality for an oil but important in systems like this where we can't just raise temperature to 212*F all the time to drive out water (like engine oil).
Old 04-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #24
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
The original flaw with OEM sunroof seems to me that the cover is very good at sealing the small compartment away from the rest of the car, and the portion exposed to atmosphere on top is also small. So water vapor gets trapped between the two spaces and especially when sun hits it- high energy/velocity water molecules and oxygen attack the delicate intricate metal mechanisms contained within this space (it rusts the metal parts at high rate) such that twenty years later every single 240 sunroof with a cover is rusted badly.

The trick of course upon ownership is to immediately restore the surface by sanding/wirebrushing back to mostly plain metal and rust transition state and then painting/coating with some kinda permanent rust inhibitor designed for that state of metal (like a POR-15 which hasn't let me down yet. It doesn't come off of skin or clothing btw...) and then leave the cover open 1/2" or so. That tiny little gap allows the water from above to escape into the car which keeps the water from attacking the metal up there. Which of course if you have alot of it (many days of rain constantly I guess) could be an issue (Solution B: damprid desiccant exchanges) but this all assumes the mechanism survived intact enough to be operational in the first place.

The gap also keeps water from pooling on the inside glass. It just has nowhere to go when the cover is shut tight. Ironic since that is what the cover is designed to do- working as intended.
I Wonder if a spritz of WD40 wouldn't have prevented all of this, once per year or something by the original owners. If they were aware of the issue... how many perfect sunroofs would still be here now. I guess the WD is an ideal solvent/rust inhibitor for the mechanism because it is quite comfortable with water while still functioning as a lubricant. A rare quality for an oil but important in systems like this where we can't just raise temperature to 212*F all the time to drive out water (like engine oil).
What areas exactly are you saying need this rust work?
Old 04-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #25
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

everything up there needs to be cleaned, all rust removed. It should be obvious by looking because huge chunks of rusty metal will be falling apart everywhere. Its pretty common to find them disintegrating before your eyes. Shards of rusted metal slivers will fall down into the parts that move and jam the sunroom also. First thing I do is vacuum and scrub.

All this is from perspective of not wanting to spend any $$ on it. Just want it to work and minimal maintenance- clean it, convert/coat, if necessary replace the motor. Then periodically lubricate the assy and it should in theory last the life of the vehicle from that point. Just leave the cover open 1/2" to let the water out, and if you live in a climate where it sometimes rains a lot all the time consider additional desiccant exchanges. Although I've never done it for cars I drive everyday, I do use CaCl2 in cars that sit outside sometimes, even if they don't have sunroof because the high moisture content and stale air promotes growth of all manner of organism.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:55 PM   #26
s14fiend

The metal trim needs to be wire wheeled nice and primer coat of rustoleom or the like, then light sand again and apply 3M window weld sealer and a new trim piece.

Declogged all the sunroof tubes since thats another regular maintenance thing that happens that people don't practice regularly and more build up will happen on cars that sit outdoors and it won't break down the sunroof trim as bad if just use air compressor to unclog debris from sunroof track, maybe also applying like a UV ray and water repellant sealer like rainx or rustolem "never wet" to the whole thing would work nice too. Hopefully that guy starts making those trims seems like many would benefit from having a nice working s14 moonroof for the s14 240sx street cars out there.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:38 PM   #27
ditchs14
Zilvia Junkie

ditchs14 is a well-known jackass
nissan japan still sells parts

https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-c...20det/body/736
ditchs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #28
s14fiend

Looks like they re posted. https://www.ebay.com/itm/240sx-SILVI...4AAOSwREhc7bGA

Last edited by s14fiend; 05-29-2019 at 04:37 PM..
s14fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #29
johnschmitz25
Leaky Injector

johnschmitz25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchs14 View Post
Would it be part 91660 on that diagram?
johnschmitz25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:43 PM   #30
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnschmitz25 View Post
Would it be part 91660 on that diagram?
No, that's the just the rubber weather strip.
In order to get a new one you need the glass shade. Part #91210-65F20 , list price $905.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote