Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
FourtyKid
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
FourtyKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
No crank/no start...starter wiring help?

Won't crank at all. Everything else works in the car, just not the starter. I've already tested my starter, it works great. So I know it's a wiring issue.

Here's what I've got.

Starter wire (black with a yellow stripe) goes from starter solenoid straight to this plug, then after the plug, white goes into the fusebox/fusible links and the black/yellow wire goes up into the main body harness...

Here's my clutch interlock relay:

I also have this plug, does anyone know what it does? Thick black wire and thick brown/white striped wire:

According to the FSM, the white wire that shares a plug with the starter wire should be black with a white stripe, not white. But I don't have any other plugs that would even look close to this or have either a black/white wire and black/yellow wire...help?
Old 10-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Icy13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
Icy13 will become famous soon enoughIcy13 will become famous soon enoughIcy13 will become famous soon enoughIcy13 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
So, really mundane suggestion but it fixed my intermittent start issue, did you check the physical clutch interlock switch? My little rubber stopper degraded after 18 years and the hole it left fit perfectly around the switch without actuating the switch.$2.50 fix from your local dealership.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Icy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
PhoThePanda

Trader Rating: (0)
PhoThePanda is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy13 View Post
So, really mundane suggestion but it fixed my intermittent start issue, did you check the physical clutch interlock switch? My little rubber stopper degraded after 18 years and the hole it left fit perfectly around the switch without actuating the switch.$2.50 fix from your local dealership.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
You can do that or just take a nut and a screw and put it in place, i had the same problem, check the small stuff first before you start condemning something larger.
PhoThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
DJ 21o3
Zilvia Junkie

DJ 21o3 is an unknown quantity at this point
My issue was that little blue relay when I had a no crank issue. I would turn the key, 1 click, but nothing else. Starter was perfectly fine and even fired up the day before. Replaced the relay with one from a junk 240 and fired on the first crank
DJ 21o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
It looks like that plug is the one that's SUPPOSED to be plugged into the othir side of the interlock relay.

If not, that's at least similar (without looking) to the pigtail to the starter.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
DJ 21o3
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
It looks like that plug is the one that's SUPPOSED to be plugged into the othir side of the interlock relay.

If not, that's at least similar (without looking) to the pigtail to the starter.
I didn't look close enough, I am almost positive that is your issue!
Old 10-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
FourtyKid
Zilvia Junkie

I already tried that, it didn't fit. And the black wire doesn't have a white stripe on it, both plugs for the clutch interlock have a black/white wire, neither are just black.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
FourtyKid
Zilvia Junkie

Here's where the wires go from that starter plug...

Black/yellow goes through the main harness to the ignition switch, the only large black/white wire I see is going from one of the relays in the fusebox to the fusible link, none coming from the main harness like the black/yellow starter wire.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
DJ 21o3
Zilvia Junkie

So they tried to splice the wires so it would bypass the relay? I don't know what the issue is anymore but I do know that it is an easy circuit to work with.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
FourtyKid
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ 21o3 View Post
So they tried to splice the wires so it would bypass the relay? I don't know what the issue is anymore but I do know that it is an easy circuit to work with.
All I know is when I had an SR20 it turned over just fine, now it doesn't with the VH45. I didn't change the wiring since then, other than getting a different transmission harness in better condition than my previous one was.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #11
FourtyKid
Zilvia Junkie

I bypassed the clutch switch and now when I hit the ignition I can hear a clicking coming from what I'm guessing is the interlock relay, its coming from the front right of the car, near all the wiring. I took the starter wire (from the solenoid) and wired it to the white wire from the opposite side of the plug (male starter wire to female white wire) and when the battery is grounded, the starter turns over constantly. So obviously that isn't the way to do it, but I'm still super confused as to why I have a white wire instead of a black/white striped wire. It just doesn't make any sense. There's no black/white wire coming out of the harness near the fuse/relay box either. It goes from the ignition switch, through the car, and disappears somewhere along the way.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:55 AM   #12
darkslide92
Leaky Injector

darkslide92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourtyKid View Post
I bypassed the clutch switch and now when I hit the ignition I can hear a clicking coming from what I'm guessing is the interlock relay, its coming from the front right of the car, near all the wiring. I took the starter wire (from the solenoid) and wired it to the white wire from the opposite side of the plug (male starter wire to female white wire) and when the battery is grounded, the starter turns over constantly. So obviously that isn't the way to do it, but I'm still super confused as to why I have a white wire instead of a black/white striped wire. It just doesn't make any sense. There's no black/white wire coming out of the harness near the fuse/relay box either. It goes from the ignition switch, through the car, and disappears somewhere along the way.
What was the fix. i'm dealing with the exact same issue with my vh swap, and i'm running the w harness, but till getting no crank.
darkslide92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:56 AM   #13
cole d
Zilvia Member

cole d is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey check this thread out. It details the problem and the fix. See post #52 for the fix.http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=620069
I followed it and fixed my no start issue

Last edited by cole d; 04-21-2019 at 02:32 PM..
cole d is offline   Reply With Quote