Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #1
Engmus
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Engmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura aboutEngmus has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s13 Super Hicas Troubleshooting Guide

Welcome you five readers that will need this information. I am going to give you, likely the most in-depth information you can find on fixing and getting operational your Super-Hicas system in your S13. Although this information may be relevant to to other Nissan vehicles so equipped, I do not have any specific information to those vehicles (R32 GTR, 300zx, etc).

I will list as MANY part numbers as I can below.

When I received my S13, it had a Super-Hicas system that was not functional, opposite to common opinion I wanted to restore the system to a fully functional level, because, specifically, I do not intend to do any drifting, this vehicle is my daily driver, and due to the limited number of functional HiCas cars left, I wanted to keep this one working.

My condition was as such, my HiCas light would come on with the the key at ACC, and when I started the car the light would go out, but after 5 minutes of driving the HiCas light would come back on. I started with the FSM procedures for this, all under the FSM in section "ST" which I will not link here, but you can find an S13 FSM readily online.

These procedures did not help me specifically, if you are still having issues after sorting the FSM or just want to know what to look for read on.

1. First and foremost, check that your Power Steering Fluid is full, and in good condition, following this check move on.

2. Have your alignment checked, by a quality shop, that knows whats going on, the steering angle sensor on your vehicle has a 4 degree variance from center, anything more than 4 degrees in either left or right of center (Off center 4 degrees L\R) will trigger the system as misaligned and trigger a fail-safe.

*If your vehicle has an after market steering wheel confirm, that the hub\boss is Hicas supported, additionally your steering wheel might off center (A tooth off on the splines) to check this, use something like the Nissan Data Scan to communicate to the HiCas computer and verify when the wheels are dead straight, you are as close to 0 degrees off center as possible.

Okay, you've accomplished the easy tasks, and you still have an issue.

Hicas depends on a number of sensors around the car.

Neutral Position Switch - Up near the top of the Transmission
Vehicle Speed Sensor - Located on the rear passenger of the transmission
Clutch Switch - Under your clutch Pedal
Parking Brake Switch\Stop Lamp Switch - Aka Parking light switch\handbrake light switch.

3. Confirm and replace these as needed.

Now that you've come this far, you are close keep going! Confirm your power steering cap is properly connected, the cap has a sensor to indicate fluid level, you can't source a S13 Power Steering cap, but you CAN source a GTR R32 Steering cap, but the harness is different you will need to repin it.

4. Disconnect and clean\check for power at the following plugs\sensors...

Hicas solenoid(Passenger side frame rail, accessible under the car)
Fail Safe Valve (Towards the rear of the rack)
Hicas Computer\Control Unit - Under the passenger side rear plastic\rear seat, opposite of the ABS Computer.
Steering Angle Sensor - Behind the Steering wheel.

Last, make sure your Consult connector does NOT have anything plugged into it, this was my issue, I had kept my Nissan Data Scan interface plugged into my Consult connector which was causing a Code 00 : No Description.

Additionally, I can't recall which ( I will update this thread when I can recall, a fuse in the drivers side kick panel is in line to the HiCas controller that needs checked.)

---Resources for HiCas---

S13 HiCas Compatible Steering Hub - Splash|Works Bell - 616
2x - 55154-39F00 - HiCas Ball Joints (Rear Rack)
1x - 55114-39f00 - HiCas Driver Side Outer Tie-Rod (Rear Rack)
1x - 55114-39F10 - HiCas Passenger Side Outer Tie Rod (Rear Rack)
Nissan Data Scan - http://www.nissandatascan.com/
Consult Adapter - https://www.obdinnovations.com/nissa...i-ft232r-chip/
GTR Power Steering Cap - 49181-58S05
HiCas Computer - 28505-53F00
Steering Angle Sensor - 28475-53F00
Clutch Switch - Standard Motor Products Part Number: NS157
Neutral Position Switch - 32006-M8060
Reverse Position Switch - 32005-21U1B
Engmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links