Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #31
CusCo_S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
CusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
my dad was in the Marines for 28yrs MSGySgt Comm. and he wished he could have stayed in longer. i wished my dad would have pushed me into joining the marines when i was in HS.

i had a couple of friends join bout half of them said they hated being in and were glad their 4 yrs were up.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #32
Grip
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Grip is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Grip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcastro View Post
The Military isnt gonna answer your question about what you should do with your life and give you direction.
They will keep you busy, just like your mall jobs. But in the end, you need to be responsable for your own direction in life.
If you think you can handle possably being killed, or loosing a leg, or coming back with some sort of brain problem and being confined to a bed due to injuries. Then hey, roll the dice with joining up right now.
If you think you are the type of person that can see death on a daily basis and move on through life after wards, then hey, join up right now.
Those things may not happen to you, but your rolling the dice in joining the military. Especially right now, when the military is asking for those that have used it, to give back.
i have been in for 5 years now.. and from my personal experience.. i disagree with you statement 100%..

the military can give you direction for your life!
you dont have to worry about being killed, or loosing a leg!

in the Navy there are many administrative jobs that never even see guns their entire careers.. and that is a fact!.. look up PS, SK, YN Ratings..
Grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #33
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by CusCo_S14 View Post
i had a couple of friends join bout half of them said they hated being in and were glad their 4 yrs were up.
Not many people DON'T hate their first contract. You're the bottom of the food chain, everything seems unfair/unjust, and you feel like you have to work the hardest to get the least money. My Dad did his 4 years before I was even born and decided he was done with it. He missed the job, but he didn't miss the people he worked under. That never stopped him from portraying the Marine Corps in a positivie light to me as a kid. Though he didn't "pressure me" into joining. He always wanted me to better than he had.

I know I had times in my first contract that I said "There is no way in Hell I'm signing up again!" Well, when the time came, I looked around at the "civilian world" and realized little things like job security and steady income were quite nice. I also enjoyed being a Marine, though I didn't enjoy the job they have given me. Luckily for me, I was afforded the oppurtunity to change jobs when I signed the dotted line for the second time. That got me into working on Avionics, which is awesome.

Here I am, over 10 years in, and I couldn't imagine NOT being a Marine. I have a great job, and a great schedule. I am planning to take College courses and get my degree, but that has never been my motivator for being a Marine. I will have a degree before I retire, then I can start on my second retirement.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #34
cc4usmc
Post Whore!

Location: Formerly Elk Grove/the916/95758/NorCal - Now teh 970
Trader Rating: (19)
cc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Not every job will get you blown up or shot up, jesus lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s141996 View Post
is this exhaust california friendly? thnx lmk
cc4usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #35
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip View Post
the military can give you direction for your life!
So can Scientology.
Having an organization decide your direction and goals in life isnt the best idea IMO, and thats what I meant.
If someone feels they want to join the military because they believe strongly in the struggle we are in, or want to give to the country, thats cool.
But being "lost", is not a good reason to join any organization.
Of course you will come out with thier views.
Same thing that happens to young men and women that join religious cults. The lost people take on the ideas and direction of what the cult preaches.
Shit, even gangs work like that, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc4usmc View Post
Not every job will get you blown up or shot up, jesus lol.
But there are jobs that do.
And do you always have a choice? (idk, never joined)

I do know that a good highschool friend came back from multiple tours not to long ago. He saw people die everyday.
Alot of the deaths were when they would go around with the local police/military. US soldiers arent alowed to just shoot people, they need permission, but the Police sure could. they would walk into houses and just start exicuting people.
Then the US soldeirs would sometimes ask if they could shoot one of the guys. And the Police would just say, oh yeah, sure.
His stories from his tours are fucking scary and disturbing.
It was very normal and it has perversed his perception of things and he is a bit socially off now.

He will talk about it on the surface, but wont get to deep into it. He acts like its nothing, and doesnt effect him, but he's not really fooling anyone.
the weird thing is he works as a recruiter now. And he talks about how he manipulates people with a bunch of BS and lies, to join up. He thinks its funny. He talks about how easy it is to pray on these people that dont know what they are doing.

the branch he is in is the Army.

Just thought I would let you know some more info.
This site is very pro military.
so I thought I would give you a little info from a different standpoint.
Its your life that your signing away, literally.
So make sure you really think about it.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #36
cc4usmc
Post Whore!

cc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfectioncc4usmc is close to perfection
Quote:
But there are jobs that do.
And do you always have a choice? (idk, never joined)
Yes. If you don't get the job you want, you don't have to sign the contract.

Like you said, some people get fooled into it though..

Quote:
Old 04-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #37
anthony240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
anthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anthony240
i did plan on moving up from just sales and go into the technical area of the cellular industry, but can't, not without real world experience, and a 6-year-old degree. i'm puttin myself out there and trying to find work, but again, I would like to earn a bs or even a masters in some sort of data communications, and student loans are a bitch. I don't wanna work just to pay that off.

my dad was in the air force, but he never forced me to follow his footsteps. he has a lot of advantages of being a senior citizen veteran.

i'm thinking long term/stability. yes i realize the risk, which is why i'm asking other people's opinions. I have a friend that served 6 years in the army and he says he's goin back. I came to the possible conclusion of going into the air force for educational and real world experience. i know for sure the experience will make me a better person.

and i know this site is mostly military which is why i asked the question here. if anyone truly knows how it is, it is those that have experienced it first hand.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #38
ericcastro
Post Whore!

ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Working on fishing boats in Alaska gave me great experience and made me a better person.
Living on the street and eating out of dumpsters made me a better person.
Helping my X girlfriend raise her daughter when we were together made me a better person.

Im just trying to say that ALL life experience, if used right, and LEARNED from, will work to mold us into the better people we are.

i understand what your doing. And at 26, its hard to take big risk like travel and over seas volenteer work. And sitting around the local NorCal town and jobs aint gonna do it.
But I gotta agree with Barry, and say if your going the Military route, you should be joining for country. Nit the GI bill stuff.

Search the internetz some more and find out how others found different paths and experiences in life.

I think the main thing is, your looking to get some more out of life, and i think thats great, regardless of how you do it.
GL man.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:35 PM   #39
anthony240
Zilvia FREAK!

anthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really niceanthony240 is just really nice
i just think it'll be an interesting time. i'm the type that's always up for a challenge. and this decision is not something I can just sleep on anyway. i do appreciate your point of view. i still have a lot to consider.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:36 AM   #40
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
You want a simple plan Anthony...Take your ASVAB test and see what kinda jobs you can get in the AF. You score anything over 80 on it, you can pretty much get any job you want. Sign up for Air Traffic Control for 4 yrs, try to get a Tower Position, get thru Tech School and get done with your training in roughly 2 yrs from the time you get in. Grind it out for 2 yrs, get out, go FAA and start off making $65-70k a year.

Another option to fall back on, X-Ray Tech or Medical Equipment maintainer. Once you get certified, even while your in, you can apply to make extra buck on the side by being on call at the local hospitals. Even with the economy down the shitter, hospital related jobs are still in demand. Other plus side, youre working in a place where the male to female ratio is 4-1. Just dont get caught banging the med tech chick and the dental assistant.

You wanna travel? Crew Chief, In-flight Air Refueler, Loadmaster, flight engineer...you'll spend more time flying around and seeing the world than any other job out there in any branch of the military. You get treated like youre part of the air crew. You go fly out to Singapore, you stay with the pilots in the same hotel theyre staying at. Simple as that.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:44 AM   #41
cc4usmc
Post Whore!

With all due respect, I don't agree with ThatGuy. I don't know how to put this and I don't know why. I don't think it's always required that you join the military because you want to serve your country. There are plenty jobs that don't require the "heart" that some other jobs require, and fliprayzin240sx posted a great example of a job just like that. If you're going to have a job that puts you in danger, well, you better have some fucking heart or you or someone else will die. But like I said, there's jobs that are practically 9 to 5's for a majority of your enlistment. As long as you're not a bag of ass, you're good. And that's in the Corps. I can't speak for the Air Force.

Quote:
Old 04-07-2009, 03:29 AM   #42
thatdrifterguy
Zilvia Junkie

thatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc4usmc View Post
With all due respect, I don't agree with ThatGuy. I don't know how to put this and I don't know why. I don't think it's always required that you join the military because you want to serve your country. There are plenty jobs that don't require the "heart" that some other jobs require, and fliprayzin240sx posted a great example of a job just like that. If you're going to have a job that puts you in danger, well, you better have some fucking heart or you or someone else will die. But like I said, there's jobs that are practically 9 to 5's for a majority of your enlistment. As long as you're not a bag of ass, you're good. And that's in the Corps. I can't speak for the Air Force.
im planning on joining AF and im just thinking of it as a 9-5 type of job too, just with more benefits that a regular civilian job would provide.
thatdrifterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:59 AM   #43
blade369

Trader Rating: (1)
blade369 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blade369
Hey whats going on bro. If you end up going enlisted and you are absolutely sure you're gonna get out after 4, Dont go aircraft maintenence. its great and all but you get paid the same as someone sitting in an office with a/c for 8 hours with an hour long lunch compared to maintainers working possible 12's and giving up your weekends depending on what jets you work and lunch breaks dont always work out lol. the new gi bill seems too good to pass up now. i'm thinking about getting out now even though i do love my job fixing jets, its not so bad. and deployments... it really depends on your career field that determines how often you deploy. some people deploy every 6 months or so, some once a year, and some never have in like 8 years. you want a cake ass job like finance or something lol.
blade369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #44
ericcastro
Post Whore!

fliprayzin240sx

thats alot of really good info right there. You can make the military work for you if you go in knowing your plan.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #45
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade369 View Post
Hey whats going on bro. If you end up going enlisted and you are absolutely sure you're gonna get out after 4, Dont go aircraft maintenence. its great and all but you get paid the same as someone sitting in an office with a/c for 8 hours with an hour long lunch compared to maintainers working possible 12's and giving up your weekends depending on what jets you work and lunch breaks dont always work out lol. the new gi bill seems too good to pass up now. i'm thinking about getting out now even though i do love my job fixing jets, its not so bad. and deployments... it really depends on your career field that determines how often you deploy. some people deploy every 6 months or so, some once a year, and some never have in like 8 years. you want a cake ass job like finance or something lol.
Umm...you know why those guys are sitting in the office and you aint? Cuz your a fucking 3-level that dont know the difference between a Philips and a Flat head...why dont you shut the fuck and earn your seat into the office by working your ass off first?!?!

Anyways, Im gonna be completely honest. Reason I joined is simply put, to get a decent paying job, get my life straightened out and set my future up. Two different careers, two deployments, three different bases, three deployments (just got back from Iraq 2 months ago) and 8 years later, I'm still enjoying it. My current job right now, Im maintaining tactical radios and babysitting a MARK IVB Meteorological System (downloads weather satellite pictures used by every weather agencies world wide). Im actually contemplating on changing jobs again, just dont know what. Figured nows the best time since my careerfield is overmanned again and we're in the process of merging Radio careerfield with Satcom.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #46
jzepol1985
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
jzepol1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I am very glad I joined at 18 . I got out at 23. I joined so I would not be in your shoes sorry to say that. If you are joining for money become a contractor and go to Iraq. The contractors are making good pay. You don't have to leave the base. You will hardly see danger. Contractors in Iraq/Afghanistan are young. Bad part is 1year tour. I was jealous and mad at the fact that I was not making shit for pay and this contractor was making 3 times as much as I was. Look into getting a contractor job if its money you are looking for. Here is a website Jobs in Iraq
jzepol1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #47
anthony240
Zilvia FREAK!

i'm thinkin of joining for a career, not just for money.

Ray has said what I wanted to hear. I just have to make the decision on my own. I'll probably go see a recruiter some time this week and do more research.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #48
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony240 View Post
i'm thinkin of joining for a career, not just for money.

Ray has said what I wanted to hear. I just have to make the decision on my own. I'll probably go see a recruiter some time this week and do more research.
PM me or hit me up on AIM if you got question. Actually, my old roomie co-worker is a recruiter in Sac. Imma get with him and ill try to get his info to you...

But first thing first, brush up on stuff and prep for the ASVAB. Just saying that since you've been away from school for so long. Start off doing simple math shit, reading comprehension stuff, maybe freshen up on your mechanical and electrical knowledge.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #49
whyrun?
BANNED

whyrun? is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
PM me or hit me up on AIM if you got question. Actually, my old roomie co-worker is a recruiter in Sac. Imma get with him and ill try to get his info to you...

But first thing first, brush up on stuff and prep for the ASVAB. Just saying that since you've been away from school for so long. Start off doing simple math shit, reading comprehension stuff, maybe freshen up on your mechanical and electrical knowledge.

++

you said exactly what I wanted to hear. i am thinking about joining to get my life setup for a career and straighten out some things.
whyrun? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #50
Syncade
Zilvia FREAK!

Syncade is making his/her stupidity well-knownSyncade is making his/her stupidity well-knownSyncade is making his/her stupidity well-knownSyncade is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via ICQ to Syncade
Any pilots here?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #51
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncade View Post
Any pilots here?
Yeah,
I pilot a S13 SOHC.
Its sparkle pink and looks like the child of a unicorn and a "my little pony" orgy on the top of candy mountain.

Pilots......lol, this is a 240sx forum, not porche forums.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #52
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
Quote:
Yeah,
I pilot a S13 SOHC.
Its sparkle pink and looks like the child of a unicorn and a "my little pony" orgy on the top of candy mountain.

Pilots......lol, this is a 240sx forum, not porche forums.
come with me to candy mountain charlie, CANDY MOUNTAIN...yay!!!

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #53
raz0rbladez909
Nissanaholic!

raz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond reputeraz0rbladez909 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Any pilots here?
I'm not a pilot, but am pretty close with a few that i work with err umm for i guess if you want to say that. I may be able to answer some questions that aren't too technical.

As far as joining to better yourself, i totally agree with what many have posted already that it can help you alot if you know what your doing and show some initiative and not sit on your ass and expect to recieve handouts.

From the navy aspect I can tell you a good amount, in the little over three

years I've been in I've gone on one 6 month deployment and several months

time of workups for other deployments; But not all jobs in the Navy are the

same. I'm a helicopter mechanic and i've seen good days and bad days but in

no other job do you get paid for days off. In which I've gotten so much time

off in this past month that i'd never see in the civilian world, i.e. last

weekend had a 96 (four day weekend) the weekend before that another 96

and this coming fri,sat and sun off. All for us doing a good job; Provided you

do well on advancement exams you can make paygrades (e1-e5) rather

quickly and the faster you do that the more money you will have in your

pocket; Not to mention you get a payraise every year and the different types

of special pays you recieve while on deployment i.e. in bahrain the per diem

for being on a deployment in that country is just shy of $200 per day, thats

$200 dollars a day on top of your regular pay, not to mention tax free in that

zone and other hazardous duty type pays, fuck i'm goin on and on but it can

really work for you if you know how to play the system i'm out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeBHR View Post
How do people still not know that there are so many assholes here? If they joined before 05-06, They are gonna be an asshole. Almost guaranteed.
raz0rbladez909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #54
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to ms!3
One thing that sucks about the military is that you start off at the bottom are treated like shit, at least in the Corps you are. lol

No biggie though, just have to go find a straw.

Benefits/money are nice, but that shouldn't be the reason you join the military.
ms!3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #55
Grendel
Zilvia Addict

Grendel is close to perfectionGrendel is close to perfectionGrendel is close to perfectionGrendel is close to perfectionGrendel is close to perfectionGrendel is close to perfectionGrendel is close to perfectionGrendel is close to perfectionGrendel is close to perfectionGrendel is close to perfectionGrendel is close to perfection
I just got out of the AF, I was a 3c0x1 which is communications. It is like a 7am-4pm job, you will probably have to deploy once or twice, but deployments really aren't that bad in the AF. I had a great time on mine, made some really good friends and learned a lot.

Just don't get a shitty career field like cop/services/etc. I'd say talk to the recruiter, and ask about openings in the 3c0x1 career field (mostly sysadmin type of work, help desk, windows server, active directory, etc). There is also 2e2xi which are the router and switches guys, some 3c0x1s get to play with these too, but its rare. Both of these career fields are very marketable, and you will be getting out with at least a secret clearance, maybe a top secret ($$$).

Get some useful skills, make some contacts, don't burn any bridges, then get out and get a contractor job making more $$ for less drama.

The military (Air Force at least) isn't some sacred service, it's a job. Get in, get some benefits, get out. Talking to my friends who did similar jobs in the Army/Marines, AF seems the way to go.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #56
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
I just got out of the AF, I was a 3c0x1 which is communications. It is like a 7am-4pm job, you will probably have to deploy once or twice, but deployments really aren't that bad in the AF. I had a great time on mine, made some really good friends and learned a lot.

Just don't get a shitty career field like cop/services/etc. I'd say talk to the recruiter, and ask about openings in the 3c0x1 career field (mostly sysadmin type of work, help desk, windows server, active directory, etc). There is also 2e2xi which are the router and switches guys, some 3c0x1s get to play with these too, but its rare. Both of these career fields are very marketable, and you will be getting out with at least a secret clearance, maybe a top secret ($$$).

Get some useful skills, make some contacts, don't burn any bridges, then get out and get a contractor job making more $$ for less drama.

The military (Air Force at least) isn't some sacred service, it's a job. Get in, get some benefits, get out. Talking to my friends who did similar jobs in the Army/Marines, AF seems the way to go.
Hows the job market out for 3C0s right now?

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #57
okis14
Leaky Injector

okis14 will become famous soon enoughokis14 will become famous soon enoughokis14 will become famous soon enoughokis14 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post

Exactly, I was a 3C0 and got out after 6 years with a TS SCI. I later got a CI Poly. My goal was to get the education benefits and any experience I could then get out.

Take advantage of learning on the million dollar systems and get the knowledge you need for when you get out. There are a lot of people that just browse the internet all day. It is a complete waste of space. I can go on all day about this. Once you gain the confidence from your supervisors life becomes much easier. There is a difference between brown nosing and just being good.

The clearance itself is job security. Even the guys that barely know anything easily get jobs since the demand is so high. It is so fustrating working with these guys. Again, I can go all day on this too. The only bad side to this is that you are somewhat limited on where you can work. DC has the largest amount of cleared jobs for obvious reasons.

If you don't make at the very least $70k (W2) with a clearance you are doing something wrong even with this bad economy. $75k - $95k is quite common.

Like Grendel said, don't burn any bridges. You'd be suprise how small the classified world is and who you'll bump into.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #58
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Quote:
Any pilots here?
I used to babysit pilots.

Now I train Marines to babysit them.

Nothing like using a little slip of paper from a State Institution to be able to fly an aircraft that you don't even know how to change the oil on, or even know what's actually wrong when it breaks. All while pretending you are somehow superior to the "lesser educated" individuals that keep your ass alive and flying, raking in more money then you're worth, and complaining about it.

[/bitter]
Old 04-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #59
blade369

blade369 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to blade369
[quote=fliprayzin240sx;2736865]Umm...you know why those guys are sitting in the office and you aint? Cuz your a fucking 3-level that dont know the difference between a Philips and a Flat head...why dont you shut the fuck and earn your seat into the office by working your ass off first?!?!

lol wow so much hate right off the bat xD nah dood i'm not complaining about my job. i love my job. and what are you talking about 3 level. o.O 3,5,7 all work the line. the only way you get an office job is if you're tech/master and sit at a desk. lol and if you can turn a wrench they'll keep you on the line to work. all i'm saying is if he wants to just do 4 and get out why work harder than noners and get paid the same? if he wanted long term then i'd say pick something you'd enjoy and love in the long run. T_T
blade369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:50 AM   #60
HalveBlue
Zilvia FREAK!

HalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond repute
I was in for 6 1/2 years.

I'll be honest, I had some EXTREMELY shitty times while I was in. But I also had some of the greatest times of my life.

All in all, I'm glad I joined, and I'm even thinking about going back.

Whatever you decide, pick something you'll have fun doing. There's no use in picking a career field because it pays well in the civilian market if you hate the job.

Good Luck!
HalveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote