Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #1
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
leaky diff

I have a non abs R200 rear diff that I swapped the input flange over to an ABS one. I filled it with oil and left it standing upright on its nose for a few weeks.

When I came back to it I found it had leaked a decent amount of oil out. at first I though the input seal was knackered but it seems dry around the seal.

Inside the end of the flange where the big nut screws onto the pinion shaft seems to be where the oil has come from. almost like the oil has somehow tracked down the splines.

has anyone seen a diff do that before? I a bit stumped on how to fix it. Maybe putting some sealer on the splines before putting the flange on.
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
ok WHY did you swap the input flange?

sealer wont help on a rotating piece.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
kennedy8383
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
kennedy8383 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Blown oil seal and it must be replace. The 240sx service manual tell you how to remove it and install it.
kennedy8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:09 AM   #4
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

I swapped the flange because it was an NON ABS diff that I wanted to fit into an ABS car. the flanges are different lengths so you need the correct flange to match the rear section of the propshaft. (non abs s13 props don't really exist over here).

I doubt its the input oil seal as the oil is tracking down the splines and not out between the flange and the oil seal.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
if its not the seal then likely is the shaft...the seal and the shaft are the only things that are keeping the oil in other than the case...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_moose View Post
I swapped the flange because it was an NON ABS diff that I wanted to fit into an ABS car. the flanges are different lengths so you need the correct flange to match the rear section of the propshaft. (non abs s13 props don't really exist over here).

I doubt its the input oil seal as the oil is tracking down the splines and not out between the flange and the oil seal.

Never heard of this before. Was under the impression u had to swap driveshaft to accommodate the length issue.
Maybe thats the problem the flange doesnt fit properly causeing this leak.

Swap back the orignal flange and see if the leak stops....that give u the answer
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #7
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I see what you are saying, i dont know the pinion flange swap fixes the abs issue but disregarding that I see what you are saying

Your pinion nut may not be tight enough but you could certainly try putting some sealant on the nut threads and side of the nut that presses against the flange
Old 10-15-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Never heard of this before. Was under the impression u had to swap driveshaft to accommodate the length issue.
Maybe thats the problem the flange doesnt fit properly causeing this leak.

Swap back the orignal flange and see if the leak stops....that give u the answer
yeah, he went about it all backwards. changing to the right length driveshaft is the easy/correct way to do it

I don't think these flanges are interchangeable but I haven't been able to find a blueprint of the diffs to tell if they're same I.D. or nah.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #9
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

ive done the flange swap trick before and not had this problem.

over in England we only got non-abs S13's for about a year in 1989 and that was only on the base models so non abs rear prop shafts basically don't exist anymore.

the non abs diff was actually off an R32 and I swapped the flange with another guy who was doing the opposite conversion to go into a different car.

I don't want to go too mad tightening it as I don't want to upset the crush washer. think I might pop the flange off and put some sealer on the splines.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #10
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
if he kept the nose/pinion gear then just swap ring over to other setup and reinstall with whichever cover he wants and should have been perfect...I think there may have been to much messing around and definitely check torque/seating on the setup too...sry I assumed torque had been properly done on it lol
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote