Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
xiaphin
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (32)
xiaphin is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xiaphin
Wiring Defi Boost Gauge to PowerFC datalogit

I want to be able to monitor boost through the datalogit. Searched to see if anyone had successfully tapped into the signal coming from the defi sensor but was unable to find any information. All I found was buy the Apexi boost control kit, which I'm not gonna do, or go with the GM 3 Bar map sensor. GM map sensor has been proven to work and the pressure to voltage values are know. But I would like to use my current sensor at all possible and do not want to add another tee into my line, there is enough stuff going on already.

Not sure how the Defi Link Control Unit works since all sensors have their own input but only one meter output that is a daisy chain circuit. The sensor has to get its power and ground from the control unit itself so the third wire must be the signal coming from the sensor back to the control unit. If this is true this wire could be tapped into and wired up to Aux 2 input on the datalogit. Then it should be possible using a voltmeter to determine the pressure to voltage range for the 0-12v by either driving at a given boost level and recording or using a vacuum pump. Then by trial and error compare values on the gauge to values on the datalogit monitor screen and adjust until both reading are equal.

Anyone ever done this with the Defi gauge or with a similar boost gauge setup? Any info would be appreciated.

Last edited by xiaphin; 03-28-2011 at 11:00 AM..
xiaphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
If you use the PFC Boost controller Kit it will read and display Boost
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
xiaphin
Zilvia Junkie

PFC Boost Kit but why?$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
If you use the PFC Boost controller Kit it will read and display Boost
Thanks for your input. I realize that the PFC Boost controller kit will do what I am after but do not want to spend the 300+ dollars on it. Why spend 300+ when I can spend less than 100 on the GM 3 bar map sensor setup and why do that if I can use what I already have installed on the car and spend zero dollars. Want to see if this will work instead of just buying something that I know will work. If everyone just bought what they knew worked instead of thinking outside the box there wouldn't be any development or new products hitting the market.

Somebody somewhere has thought to do this, tried this and failed, or done this successfully. I'm not the only one running a Power FC with a Defi gauge setup. Where are the datalogit guys there lurking round here somewhere.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
s13Kurt
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
s13Kurt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Maybe a stupid question but could you tell me where you got the datalogit software? The handheld sucks
s13Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
xiaphin
Zilvia Junkie

Datalogit

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13Kurt View Post
Maybe a stupid question but could you tell me where you got the datalogit software? The handheld sucks
Only place in the US that sells it is RX7.com based out of Texas. PaulR33 FAQ has good info and so does the celica and rx7 forums.

Rotary Performance | FD ECU
Old 06-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
xiaphin
Zilvia Junkie

Never did figure out if this was possible to use the Defi boost gauge but I did go ahead and get a GM 3 Bar map sensor to log the boost. This does work.