Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-28-2008, 12:31 AM   #1
moses
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
moses is making his/her stupidity well-knownmoses is making his/her stupidity well-knownmoses is making his/her stupidity well-knownmoses is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Alright guys, is this a blown turbo. video inside

s13 sr. I was at a track today drag racing and my last race there was a whinning noise. I didnt know what it was at first but when i pop the hood and rev it up it sounds like it is comming from the intake and it happens only at boost or close to 0 psi. kinda sounds cool im not going to lie but how bad is it if i just drove home an hour and a half. havent checked for oil in the intercooler but will it shit out on me or will it just die slowly.
And i think i know the answer to this but can i stil autocross tomorrow. this is my dd. heres the video.

MOV00815.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2008, 12:40 AM   #2
DisEpyon
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
DisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DisEpyon
i personally do not know of that, but my experience when my turbo took a shit on me, My car began to smoke up out the exhaust. Day after day it got worse, did a compression check and other checking up processes stuff and i came to the conclusion that it was the oil seals in my turbo that went out. replace the turbo, and now i do not have anymore problems.

how high are you boosting out of it? and btw we are talking about a regular t25? how many runs did you make? did you do back to back runs, or did you do a few runs then take a break to cool down then go at it again?

i cant view the video, says i need to install something, which i dont fell like it.
DisEpyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
moses
Zilvia Junkie

moses is making his/her stupidity well-knownmoses is making his/her stupidity well-knownmoses is making his/her stupidity well-knownmoses is making his/her stupidity well-known
i havent seen anything out the tail pipe yet and i do have the regular t25. i did a couple of back to back runs but i let it cool down and dont think i was running it too hard. it was boosting at about 12 to 13psi. im going to pull the bov and check under there for oil.
is it ok if i just dd it and dont boost untill i get another. guess i have to upgrade to a t28
Old 09-28-2008, 12:59 AM   #4
240esux
Zilvia Junkie

240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to 240esux
i had the same problem, and i pulled my mani off to replace a gasket and i checked to see if there was shaft play or anything and it was fine. i have the same BOV as you and i just had to adjust the top screw. and check to see if all your clamps are tight. mine sounded like it was blowing off from the air filter or somethin. but try adjusting your top screw on the BOV
240esux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:08 AM   #5
moses
Zilvia Junkie

omg. if it is that you will be my best friend. i checked it earlier and the nut was still tight but im going to check it all tomorrow because my neighbors will be pissed at 2 oclock. anybody else got any ideas for tomorrow?
Old 09-28-2008, 07:56 AM   #6
moses
Zilvia Junkie

alright this is bad but i dont know how bad. i opened up my intake and found these 4 pieces just chillin in there. no clue where it is from, but when i looked around i noticed a big nut missing on the back of the catch can return hose missing in the intake.

so i decided to pull off the exaust outlet and found all this oil. Its not at my bov (about a foot down the hot pipe) but it is on its way

the i opened up the inlet of the turbo and found this

there is no shaft play but those are pretty fucked up. is it ok to drive on that because i really want to autocross today.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:58 AM   #7
moses
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
alright this is bad but i dont know how bad. i opened up my intake and found these 4 pieces just chillin in there. no clue where it is from, but when i looked around i noticed a big nut missing on the back of the catch can return hose missing in the intake.
http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o...DSC00824-1.jpg

so i decided to pull off the exaust outlet and found all this oil. Its not at my bov (about a foot down the hot pipe) but it is on its way
http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o...x/DSC00817.jpg

the i opened up the inlet of the turbo and found this
http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o...x/DSC00822.jpg

there is no shaft play but those are pretty fucked up. is it ok to drive on that because i really want to autocross today.
how much longer do i have?
Old 09-28-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
SWEET JESUS!! For the Love of God Dude dont drive it!!!

Where do yo think all those metal shards are going!!! Straight in to your engine!!

Do not drive that car anymore until you replace that turbo.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
That turbo is completely toast.

I definitely wouldn't autocross it today man.....sorry

It looks like your exhaust side seals are definitely blown, and if you don't have shaft play, then something got into the turbo that really fucked it up good.

Gayness

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
moses
Zilvia Junkie

so you guys are saying i cant even drive it to work and back. will all that really make it past my intercooler and if it can should i take my piping out to see if there is any thing there?

i already drove about an hour and a half. Wouldnt the worst of it be done already? wouldnt it be ok if i didnt boost?

Last edited by moses; 09-28-2008 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: forgot some stuff
Old 09-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
moses
Zilvia Junkie

just started it up again with everything cleaned and is still making the same noise. there is no noise at idle just at boost.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
SpuGen
Leaky Injector

SpuGen is making a name for him/her selfSpuGen is making a name for him/her selfSpuGen is making a name for him/her self
Replace that turbo asap.

I think it might be fine to drive it to and from work. Just don't hit boost. Unless you wanna scare kids at a busstop. Cause that'd be hilarious.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #13
ericcastro
Post Whore!

ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
you run that thing your gonna fuck your whole engine dude!!!!

Keep it off!!!! Your not driving shit to work!!

Your intercooler is not a filter for metal shrapnal, and your lucky if your engine hasnt gotten some damage already.

Clean out all piping for intake, change oil and filter, change turbo. try again
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #14
WangonwWarrior
Zilvia FREAK!

Location: Amerika24 alabama: Where if your not first..... your last
Trader Rating: (15)
WangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Dont drive it. i would choose blown turbo>blown motor and turbo. But scaring kids at the bus stop is always fun

Old 09-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #15
Jesses240
Leaky Injector

Jesses240 is making a name for him/her selfJesses240 is making a name for him/her selfJesses240 is making a name for him/her self
Replace your turbo its a 2 hour job max start to finish
Old 09-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #16
moses
Zilvia Junkie

if i just take out all my intercooler piping and make sure there is nothing in there can i just drive to work and back for a week or two. i need to get my ecu tuned for a gt2871r.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #17
moses
Zilvia Junkie

alright i just took apart my whole intercooler assembly and i found 1 maybe 2 more pieces that look exactly like the other. im not sure i just found one on the ground and it was just chillin in my intercooler
since i know now that my turbo back is clean and clear of objects i think it will be ok to drive slow to work and back. right?
Old 09-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #18
ericcastro
Post Whore!

ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
Its a big gamble man.

I wouldn't.

But if you have absolutely no choice, ......you gotta do what you gotta do.

Its like needing to drive to work to get money to get your license off suspension. Sometimes you have to take big risk cause theres no other option.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:10 PM   #19
weissguy
Zilvia Junkie

weissguy is a jewel in the roughweissguy is a jewel in the roughweissguy is a jewel in the roughweissguy is a jewel in the roughweissguy is a jewel in the roughweissguy is a jewel in the roughweissguy is a jewel in the roughweissguy is a jewel in the rough
You dont know what the pieces are do you? If not, I definitely wouldn't be driving to and from work. Its not worth it
weissguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #20
HalveBlue
Zilvia FREAK!

HalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond reputeHalveBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Are you seriously contemplating still driving your car?

Jesus, if I was in your shoes I'd be taking the head off right about now to see what condition the pistons and valves are in.

DON'T DRIVE YOUR CAR!

Good Luck!
HalveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:34 AM   #21
moses
Zilvia Junkie

i think i do know what it is. it is the screw that holds the return from the catch can. for some reason it came off. so far i have 5 little pieces that look exactly the same. i think 2 fell out my intercooler but i only found one on the ground. the pieces were too big to fit through the intercooler so i dont think it could have made it through. i have no choice because i have to go to work. i already ordered another turbo and i am just waiting on the tune for my ecu.
thanks a lot for all your guys help. i know i am taking a little chance but i dont think i can open my motor up like that and it run fine after because of my skill level. im going to change my oil as soon as my greddy oil pan comes in too.ill probably have another thread on asking why this turbo not going in. lol
wouldnt i know or feel if my motor is has a piece in there as big as the ones i found