Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Nibras
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Nibras is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Nibras
s14 obd 2 to obd 1 ecu question

I just switched my ecu to a obd1 , I have a 96 the ecu is from a 95 , I also used the same wireharness from the obd1 and got rid of the one orginally inthere. , now the problem I am having is my maf I believe, the car is running like the sensor isn't there and won't go over 1500 rpm it'll sputter, I pulled the sensor off. and no changed in the idle, the sensor was perfectly fine when I had it on my other ecu , is it a code? any ideas
Nibras is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
The ECUs from '95 to '96 will swap fine with no issues, the CEL is tripped due to a lot of missing OBD related items, but it will run/drive fine with no problems. Sounds like you did something wrong during your changeover.

Why did you do this, and what exactly was done besides just swapping the ECU and harness? And is the CEL on now? Check the codes stored.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Nibras
Zilvia Junkie

the reason for this was because my car was running very rouch and lean so I wanted to try and override some of the things that could cause this so obd 1 seems like a smarter choice , but my cel was always on , and it is still on , I've never swapped ecus myself , is there anyy peticular thing I need to do when swapping it? I mean I connected everything and didn't bolt up my ecu yet, so it makes me thinkkk
Old 08-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Swapping to OBD-I from OBD-II does not solve any issues with drivability. That was a major waste of time.

Pull the codes. Simple as that, something is defective and it's not OBD related.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 08-31-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
Nibras
Zilvia Junkie

well when I get home ill throw in my other ecu and see if it runs fine , but it wasn't cause that harness I had in there was cut and missing sensors , plus it was free. but ya, I don't think it is just defective , that wouldn't make sense , I haven't changed the maf seeing as it was working with my other harness
Old 08-31-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
SilviaSR20DET
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
SilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
yep 95-96 ecu's are direct bolt in, as i am running a 95 nistune ecu in my 96 works flawless.
SilviaSR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
Nibras
Zilvia Junkie

so what could cause my maf to not work. if its a direct fit it should work right
Old 08-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
projectRDM
Post Whore!

CHECK THE CODES.

Dang, I know I typed that already. The MAF may be fine, you may have another problem.