Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-30-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
nisans13turbo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
nisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nice
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
SS PS line leaked after installed?

Ok, before the install I had no problem of any leaks.

Now after I installed the new ss ps line noticed that it was leaking after a short drive or if the engine was on.

After searching I just found out that our 240 uses ATF dexrom II or higher, now I went and looked at the fluid that I used after the new ss ps line was installed it was a bottle of valvoline syn. ps fluid and on the back of it it said not recommended for hondas. I'm assumming its not for nissans either since there both imports.

Did I damaged my rack and pinion for using the wrong fluid?

Could that have caused my leak?

If I flush the system and put the right stuff in would it fix my leaka?

Sorry for the long post.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
So you ran Power Steering fluid in the system?

The Seals in the P/S system are designed for use with ATF if anyother fluid is used other than reccommended it will damage the seals (Seals will dry up and crack)

depending on your year chassis its close to 12-21 years old the rack and pinion seals are probably pretty won by now (depending on the condition. IE: dust boots not torn) then using the incorrect fluid ended up killing the seals.
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:46 AM   #3
nisans13turbo
Zilvia Junkie

nisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nicenisans13turbo is just really nice
Here's how I installed the bottom adaptor and want to clarify if it was done right.

The adaptor fitting where it goes in the rack at the bottom, there's that o rubber ring that fits at the tip of it, after thats done there's another piece that screws inside of it, is there suppose to be a copper washer ? if not do I need to use some thread seal before tighten it down?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
lol I have power steering fluid in my rack. oh noes.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:46 AM   #5
LayNLow
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
LayNLow is making a name for him/her selfLayNLow is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Need to find out where its leaking from. If its leaking from the fittings you installed into the rack/pump you may need to get some Stat O seals. My oringed metric to an fittings didnt bottom out into the rack, it was bottoming out on the threads so I needed a seal to put in there. Worked like a charm. Need a 16 and 14mm stat o seal if this is the case.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
nisans13turbo
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayNLow View Post
Need to find out where its leaking from. If its leaking from the fittings you installed into the rack/pump you may need to get some Stat O seals. My oringed metric to an fittings didnt bottom out into the rack, it was bottoming out on the threads so I needed a seal to put in there. Worked like a charm. Need a 16 and 14mm stat o seal if this is the case.
Yea its leaking from the fitting, so your saying dont use the little black rubber ring that came with it and use a 14-16mm o seal which and be purchase from menards?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
nisans13turbo
Zilvia Junkie

whats funny is that i called the nissan dealer and they told me to use ps fluid? wtf is going on and he tells me dont use atf cause it messes up the seals inside the rack and pinion.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
LayNLow
Zilvia Junkie

LayNLow is making a name for him/her selfLayNLow is making a name for him/her self
Well, it doesnt matter if you take the other seal out or leave it in. But just go buy a "Stat O Seal"(which look like this ) from a place that sells earls/an fittings in a 14 and 16mm size and put it on between the rack and fitting, and pump and fitting. I had the save problem. And Nissan FSM says ATF ONLY! Just use ATF. I use it, and everyone else I know uses it.

Last edited by LayNLow; 03-31-2010 at 08:56 PM..
LayNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
VNG704
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
VNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond reputeVNG704 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
why would nissan design a power steering system not to use power steering fluid but atf... transmission fluid?
VNG704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
LayNLow
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNG704 View Post
why would nissan design a power steering system not to use power steering fluid but atf... transmission fluid?
LOL, really? Really? It is in the fucking FSM, hell it is probably in the damn owners manual.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
Shadowhunter
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Shadowhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Alright. First things first Unhook the line and bleed the system and get that PS fluid garbage out of there. While the line is unhooked. I am assuming your leak is at the rack. I had this same issue as well.

What I did to remedy it was # 1 clean off threads on rack and fitting. Get PS fluid off those threads,brake clean works great. Now you have two options My local Earl's fitting shop gave me a washer which has a rubber O ring around it.

I twisted that on which makes for a very good seal as well as I used some red threadlocker on the threads. P.S. system works perfect now, no leaks. You can try just the threadlocker, but that washer really gives some good anti leak insurance. Hope this helps. Edit: Layinlow has a pic of exactly what you need.
Shadowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote