Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
tharocket

Trader Rating: (1)
tharocket is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s13 89 240 sx New build and need to collect some advise

Hello my name is Evan and i had a question before i even started assembeling the parts for my 300zx brake upgrade. I just picked up my S13 hatch today and i noticed that i am missing the hardline to my driverside brake caliper. I picked this car up as a project and i have the time to find the right part for the right problem no cheap and easy fixes. The other part of the problem i am having starting on htis build is the car is non-abs and i honestly have never owned a car without abs and i was honestly hoping to use this car as my daily and a part time weekend warrior right now. Again she has no motor, no tranny it does have the diff and allot of the original parts but i want to focus on the brakes right now. My whole plan is to do the complete z32 swap on all 4 wheels (5-lug Conversion also) but i want to know if i am shooting myself in the foot not having the abs system. And if so what are my options of adding the system considering wiring is not a problem like i said i have a clear bay with my sr20 literally in the garage in my house. Please i want to build a safe and Bada** baby even if its a 5 yr process.
tharocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
1fuckedS13

Trader Rating: (0)
1fuckedS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the no abs will make you a better driver forsure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1fuckedS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
tharocket

s13

that is true but id rater mess with this stuff since i literally have the time and space with no issues in between
Old 09-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #4
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
No ABS is better than ABS. Imho it makes the brakes spongey and doesn't work half the time. Just my 2c

Also, please do the 5 lug AND z32 brake swap. It'll make it a million times better.

nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #5
tharocket

That's honestly why I'm here it's my first step please can you just let plain a little more why you feel that way? I'm not a master tech bottom line. But I'm here for your guys opinions so please elaborate
Old 09-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
I've driven with ABS and non ABS and the system is just too old I guess. Doesn't work that well.

The brakes make stopping WORLDS different and the five lug is not only required if you swap the calipers because if the need for z32 rotors but also opens up worlds of rim selections as 4 lug kinda sucks ass. For less than $500, you can get the whole brake swap and 5 lug conversion done.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #7
tharocket

Please tell me where because honestly I've been looking and my buddy sent me to an after market site that he honestly use daily and I liked it but everything said and done looked about a thousand dollars for all four and the calipers and rotors. T lol me more lol!
Old 09-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
1fuckedS13

Trader Rating: (0)
1fuckedS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
craigslist and ebay [emoji1360]

1fuckedS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #9
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Don't buy things brand new. Craigslist, zilvia marketplace, eBay... don't fuck your wallet.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #10
tharocket

True I just am nevereous of trying to literally search eBay for my knuckles it's the most important part in the rear swap right
Old 09-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #11
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

No, you don't need to do the knuckles. In fact, I don't recommend doing the z32 knuckles unless you have z32/s13 hybrid coilovers. The bottom mount of the z32 is different than the s13.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #12
tharocket

So how can I do this I feel I've read like drive pages on literally the rear swap what did I mis about the knuckles how can I fix this issue
Old 09-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #13
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Use OEM S13 knuckles, z32 calipers, rotors, hubs, e-brake drums. You'll need z32 2+2 e brake cables and brackets to adapt them. The front needs conversion hubs, calipers, and rotors. Front and rear will need brake conversion lines

Old 09-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #14
tharocket

Ok word that's allot easier to bite off the only snag I have is I looked over my car and I don't have the driver side hard line? I definitely need help sourcing this line
Old 09-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #15
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Local pick and pull or a junkyard is your best bet.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:59 PM   #16
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
The brake conversion has been beaten to death in terms of information/knowledge available with a quick search. As for the abs, be happy you have a chassis without it. The abs system in cars from the '90's compared to cars today is vastly different as far as response/feel is considered. I would never want an abs equipped s-chassis! A missing hardline is not a big deal at all, simple tools will allow you to make one yourself for CHEAP!

Do a ton of research, and if your ever stumped, shoot me a pm and I'll be happy to help. Good luck!!
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #17
tharocket

Good sir I appreciate this. I'll take this as a good time to say I've taken the leap, I happened across a 90 na and was able to get the whole setup minus the hub and bearing. It is honestly ok because I wanted to do the five lug swap regardless so on ward and upward I will keep updated.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #18
tharocket

I did have a new question in offsets what's probably the better setup for staggering on the stock body?
Old 09-16-2017, 10:50 PM   #19
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Talking about wheels? First off, I wouldn't recommend a staggered setup right off the bat. Look into something around the likes of 17x9 all around. +20 offset, 235/40 for a gripier goal, or 215/40 on a +12-15ish offset for a lowered, decent looking fitment deal.

And once again, search! Wheel fitment thread, wheel fitment question thread, maximum tire fitment thread, all in the chat section. Also rimtuck.com.

Read, look at pics, repeat!! Good luck!
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote