Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
dub40sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
dub40sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
215/35/18s for drifting?

Anyone use a 215/35/18 on the front for drifting? I know Feds got the 595 in that size and they seem to be a decent tire to get grip with for the front but idk.

I know the sidewall is so tiny that it could potentially suck for getting traction up front. Im just trying to see what some peoples thoughts are and see if anyones useing that size.
dub40sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
I use 215/40-18s on the rear of my car. LOVE them.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
Maiku240sxS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
Maiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enoughMaiku240sxS14 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
I ran 215/40/17's on a 9.5 wheel on all 4 corners at auto-x last weekend. Other tires didn't make it here on time (Azenis Rt-615). So I decided to try out the Fed's it was okay, but not enough grip and had problems understeering. But it is possible to run them up front just would have to compensate making the rear slide out easier somehow (more PSI....
Maiku240sxS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Steveohoes
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Steveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I had 215/35/18 in the front before, they werent bad for drifting but once you hit a bump your fucked cause its so stiff. Everytime i would hit this bump i would understeer and my tierod eventually got bent/ripped out of the rack.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
CityTireOnline.com
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (28)
CityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CityTireOnline.com
I highly suggest setting your car up to run 225 if you are looking in the long run. It's damn near impossible to find any sticky tires in a 215 for 18". If you run 225, then you can progressively change to stickier tires up front as you need more grip with skill, power, etc.
CityTireOnline.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
dub40sx
Zilvia Addict

Yeah right now i have RT615s on the front, 225/40/18.

I want 225/35/18 ideally but they dont make um in that size. Fed does so im thinking of running those or the 215 in front.

I was allready trying to go alittle lower profile but now that im required to run 20mm spacers upfront to clear coilovers and Z bracks im looking for something alittle skinnier to make it rub less.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
CityTireOnline.com
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (28)
CityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfectionCityTireOnline.com is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CityTireOnline.com
Overfenders might save you a lot of time and headache. Even consider raising the car a tad if that's not a consideration.
CityTireOnline.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
dub40sx
Zilvia Addict

20mm origin fenders allready, 18x9.5 +10s in the front. Im trying to lower the car more lol.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Tommy Roberts runs Federal SS595 225/35/18 up front with no problems and you could get them from citytire. He runs 18x9.5 -10 or something like that and his car is slammed on dmax fenders from what I remember. Just add camber. Don't run 215/35/18's. They will suck. Suck bad.

This guy.

This car.

This low.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
^^^^ love his car. but you can run whatever tire you want in the front...just remember, that it has to co inside with your power and grip like john at CTO said.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #11
dub40sx
Zilvia Addict

Maybe ill just get 225/35 Feds for the front and 235/40s for the rear. Or maby 255/35s for the rear.

I love my RT615s though. Once those are toast ill probably end up getting the feds.

BTW, with Feds I hear people say they dont stretch much? This meaning you can put a 225 on a 10 and it will seem wider than a 225 falken or something?
Old 12-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #12
udon!
Nissanaholic!

udon! is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I use 215/40-18s on the rear of my car. LOVE them.
stop bragging
udon! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub40sx View Post
Maybe ill just get 225/35 Feds for the front and 235/40s for the rear. Or maby 255/35s for the rear.

I love my RT615s though. Once those are toast ill probably end up getting the feds.

BTW, with Feds I hear people say they dont stretch much? This meaning you can put a 225 on a 10 and it will seem wider than a 225 falken or something?
I have a 215/45/17 SS595 and it fits just the same as my Falken ST115 225/45/17.

Size down for wheel/tire fitment if you're gonna run federal.

Best way to do business with me? Make your best offer FIRST.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #14
dub40sx
Zilvia Addict

So running a 215/35 Might be like running a 225/35 of a falken.

Ill order some up and see how they end up runnin.

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
azndoc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
azndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to azndoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by udon! View Post
stop bragging
that's not bragging.

That's sad.
azndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #16
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Used to run 215/35/18 all around. Wish I still could, but had to go to a 225/35 when I switched to 18x10's in the rear, although thankfully I can still run 215/35's up front. I don't know anything about performance though.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #17
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
215s?
seriously?

whats your car setup (alignment, power etc)
and your skill level?

id say go 225
because grip = faster drifts
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #18
dub40sx
Zilvia Addict

215s- Yes
Seriously- Yes

Whats your car setup- Unknown toe, maxed camber (front) 300ish hp untill tune then who knows how much ill try and put down.
Skill level- AWESOME < all you need to know lol

225s- is a good idea, i do bad ideas usually
faster drifts- means I need a place to do faster drifting, or drifting at all
Old 12-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #19
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
215 is a terrible idea with max camber
your contact patch is a fucking joke

But it's your car sounds like you already have your mind made up on running a shitty 1/2 assed "2001" style setup that's outdated and retarded. I am on zt enough to see all the other so called co drifters and their likes
I also watched thosE Co dudes drift off track and up banks (at balcony) with such setups at asb

enjoy the lack of grip and control a 215 provides with 300 hp and fast drifts
when your ready to step your game up and move past the beginer level maybe more expirienced advice will be availbale and can get into your noggin
Old 12-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #20
kris
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
kris is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousan_PG View Post
215 is a terrible idea with max camber
your contact patch is a fucking joke

But it's your car sounds like you already have your mind made up on running a shitty 1/2 assed "2001" style setup that's outdated and retarded. I am on zt enough to see all the other so called co drifters and their likes
I also watched thosE Co dudes drift off track and up banks (at balcony) with such setups at asb

enjoy the lack of grip and control a 215 provides with 300 hp and fast drifts
when your ready to step your game up and move past the beginer level maybe more expirienced advice will be availbale and can get into your noggin

^^ Harsh!

These guys have said it all. I take it you have never tried a "good" tire up in the front in a decent width. Listen to these guys they know what they are talking about.

Advan AD08 or Dunlop Starspecs are my only choices in from tires. I ran the 595RSR and hated them-got real greasy after a few runs. I can only imagine that a 595ss would be not real good in the front. 595ss for the rear work great though but they don't stretch all too much but its not as drastic as you would think.

Another issue you have is you have zero clue what your alignment settings are. Perhaps,like dousan said, rethink the way your going about building and driving your car as your just asking for trouble.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #21
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
595rsr works great out front. I switched to these this year rather than the ss595 I previously used and they are great. Next I'll be using ad07's though. I Always use 235/40/17 up front. If I had 18x9.5 up front I'd personally run 245/35/18 595rsr.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #22
kris
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybert View Post
595rsr works great out front. I switched to these this year rather than the ss595 I previously used and they are great. Next I'll be using ad07's though. I Always use 235/40/17 up front. If I had 18x9.5 up front I'd personally run 245/35/18 595rsr.
To me the RSR just felt like crap after they heated up, not consistent and real greasy. I ran them back to back with the starspecs and there was a huge difference between the two. Starspec was on top for sure. The AD07's seem to work good but I never got a chance to run them on the track so I cant say much else. In other places though the AD07's seem to be mighty fine.

The RSR does have one thing going for it...price.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #23
MunsonAuto
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
MunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enoughMunsonAuto will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MunsonAuto
Listen to these guys...tires make all the difference. If you're camber is max negative because you're "slammed"...raise that thing back up. Yeah it looks cool/good, but that's about it. Function > Looks.
Try to get as close to 0 camber up front and out back. I run 225/45 all four corners, 9.5" wide rims, '02 Ls1...it's teh sex. Maxxis MA-Z1's btw.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #24
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

i ran 255/40/18 RSRs in the back and it was nutso grippy
i did run the psi to like 70 and it was rad
henry shelley and flybert both drove my car w/ them and loved it. And that was on HTM, water tower section and all. they went all out on my car haha.

but yeah

i use 235/40/17 up front AD07...for years. And RE01rs
i do wanna try star specs next but i heard they take a while to heat up maybe?
Ad07s warm up pretty quick, imo.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #25
dub40sx
Zilvia Addict

LOL, you are awesome. I was messin around man. You dont gotta talk shit about my whole state! uncool man, uncool

Seriously though, I got some RT615s at the end of last season just in time to finally make an event. I ran them for maybe 6 laps and they hooked up SOOOO well it was amazing to me. Before that (like a solid year) I had taken my other S13 out witch spools up insanely faster with tiny ass tires so it was like a totally different car. On that I never had great tires, just some uhp summers that I used for dailying but wanted to take the car out to an event.

I had gotten some RTs in a 225/40/18 witch helped out alot overall. I run bfg gforce kdws right now in the rear 235/40s. That combo is great so far but was just trying to get ideas of what to do for a lower profile tire.

My alignment isnt set because I havnt finished alot that I would like to, the car has maybe 20 miles on it. Half of that is 6 laps at an event that my MAF took a shit on me and no one would let me barrow theirs while they were off track.

Running an 18" wheel im essentially stuck with a larger sidewall if I want an actually grippy tire. I think 225/35 or 235/35 would be great but Im not seeing anyone that makes a good grippy tire in those sizes.

Most likely going to have to stick with a 225/40 in order to keep a sticky tire, Fed 595ss is the only tire thats a 225/35 that is somewhat of a grippy tire.

All other tires listed that you guys posted are 40 series.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #26
kris
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousan_PG View Post
i ran 255/40/18 RSRs in the back and it was nutso grippy
i did run the psi to like 70 and it was rad
henry shelley and flybert both drove my car w/ them and loved it. And that was on HTM, water tower section and all. they went all out on my car haha.

but yeah

i use 235/40/17 up front AD07...for years. And RE01rs
i do wanna try star specs next but i heard they take a while to heat up maybe?
Ad07s warm up pretty quick, imo.

They aren't too bad to warm up a lap maybe. But a thing about star specs I did notice is at the end of their life they go from very grippy to understeering like no ones business.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #27
NiSilS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
NiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond reputeNiSilS14 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
If possible i would try for a different front tire. Something more sticky like Dunlop SS, nitto nt05, falken rt615, etc. I ran the nitto nt05 in 235/40/17 in the front, Shit was pretty good.
NiSilS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #28
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

you wouldnt get a dickhead answer, if you answers my questions like this. dick answer for your stupid ass reply.

basically, the tire you want...they dont make. really no one makes
so u go to the next best thing, 235s or 245s up front. end of story. you can talk all day how great it would be a good front size 225/18 but in reality. its NEVEr going to happen. my friends and i have tlaked about this for...no joke, over 5years. since we started running 17s and 18s on our drift cars. no good company makes a tire with GOOD/awesome grip in a 225/18 size. end of story.

so you man up and go 235 or 245s up front.

ps: i never let anyone borrow anything off my car, running or not. because its your car. you should do better maintenance. i did borrow one thing once and it was a total regret. someone asked to borrow my MAFS once and i turne dthem down. fix your car and make it tip top before going to events. there's really NO excuse, imo.

Feds SS suck up front. i hate those tires. i only run them in rear because they are the cheapest

oh and as far as the star spec comments. as far as front tires go, 1) they last forever if you dotn suck and understeer and 2) if they are running low, i change them out WELL before they are 'end of life'.
for rear tires: never tried them. i prefer MAXXIS Z1 drifts if im buying 'expensive' rear tires. if im broke or a practice event, SS595.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #29
azndoc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
azndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfectionazndoc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Send a message via AIM to azndoc
Fronts AD07 done and done
azndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #30
dub40sx
Zilvia Addict

You can get 225/40/18s in great tires, just not in a 35 series.

Side note, maf sensor randomly decideing to stop working = not owners fault usually. Im assuming it had something to do with the nearly 20 year old sensor but no biggy, I got another one on it and its good to go.

Clif notes:

-595ss suck on fronts, especially 215/35/18
-no one makes a sticky tire in 225/35/18
-Star Specs are a gift from baby jesus himself

Decision made.

Lock this bitch up