Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 01-27-2003, 01:54 AM   #1
tnord
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
tnord is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F1 2003

i'm considering requesting a trip to the 2003 US Grand Prix for my graduation (college) gift. i have some connections to get me there, but was curious if anybody else was aware of packages that would include hotel/travel/paddock pass/tickets.
tnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2003, 07:07 AM   #2
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

HippoSleek is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like a great idea! Are you thinking Canadian or Euro? My advice would be to ask on the rr/ax board -- I know a couple guys there have been.

On a related note, when I was at the ALMS National Gran Prix this year, I was sitting near this guy who was plotting out his vacation schedule w/ a buddy and their wives: Monaco, Le Mans, Silverstone were all on the list. :jealous:
HippoSleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 08:41 AM   #3
thelinja
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
thelinja is making a name for him/her selfthelinja is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Travis: The IMS site may have some info on ticket/hotel information. I'm not totally sure on the hotel reservations though, but I know that they do have an online ticket order form.
I'm thinking about going to the race this year, I wanted to go this past season, but I didn't act fast enough to get tickets.
thelinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 09:58 AM   #4
240racer
Zilvia Junkie

240racer is an unknown quantity at this point
have you gone to a USGP before? I went 2 yrs ago when Mika won. I had seats on the inside of the oval on the main straight. Next time I go I'm just going to get infield tickets which are like $30 cheaper and you can just walk around on the infield and find a spot. I feel that you can see the screens as well as the live racing better with that option. Also, the main straight is ridiculasly loud, whereas sitting at the end of the back straight is nice and quite fun to watch, lots of cars went off there. I don't know if I'll be going this year yet, but I'd like to we'll just have to see how it sits on the list of priorities.
If you do want to get seats in the stands I recomend getting them on the outside of the oval straight up from the first corner. I think these may be hard to get, but they are really nice, I sat there during one of the practice sessions.

'88 Celica All-Trac turbo
stock, but no more ecu codes!!
240racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 12:55 PM   #5
tnord
Nissanaholic!

tnord is an unknown quantity at this point
Mark - I was thinking of going to Indy, but the Canadian GP would be interesting as well.

as far as where i would prefer to watch, i think i'd rather be in the infield and wander around at my liesure. watching cars go down the straight isn't exactly my idea of excitement. i wanna see JPM dive down the inside of Scheuy under braking, then Schuey slamming the door shut, and JPM getting all mad about it.
tnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:04 PM   #6
bbp
Zilvia Junkie

bbp is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the USGP would be awesome, I have never been to to an F1 race. I have heard the pits and stuff are not as open as some CART events. I like to sit and watch the techs dabble on the car all day. I could sit and drool there for hours. F1 must be even bett3er if you can get close enough.

Let us know what kinda seats and ticket deals you come up with. My family-in laws live in Indy, might be a good excuse to drop the babies off at their house and watch some F1 for the weekend!
Old 01-27-2003, 02:03 PM   #7
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

HippoSleek is an unknown quantity at this point
:angry: INDY!! :angry:

I love America and all that, but there are no two ways about it - if I'm going on a trip to the Valhalla of Motorsports, it won't be to the armpit of the US! (No offense to anyone dumb enough to live there).

[sorry - I once drove from Cincinnati to some university town in south/central IL via Indiana and swore I would never enter that state again by my own volition. The only good I can say is that in the couple hours I was there I wasn't lynched (although I was asked about my then-asian gf TWICE). Scary.]

On the other hand, Canada is not a quasi track. It is in Montreal, which is I think would have a cool vibe for something like this. It has more of an F1 flair, according to accounts I've heard from those who've been to both. I think the viewing would also be better considering how sterile and distant the Indy seats always look to me.

This looks like a premium tour, but I'm sure some searches would lead to others. Looks like double occupancy from about $1000 for three days (not too bad, really). Canadian GP would rock.com BTW: check out the prices for the GP of Monaco (by ship)

FWIW: I saw Phoenix years ago. WOW.
HippoSleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:31 AM   #8
uiuc240
Nissanaholic!

uiuc240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to uiuc240
why stay in the US?

If you're going to ask for an expensive trip, I'd suggest going to a really cool track....like Spa or Magny-Cours or The Ring or Hockenheim or something. Plus, it gives you an excuse to do some European traveling.

In fact, if you want to plan it out, I'm 99% sure I'll be in Europe around July 6th (Magny-Cours) and I'm thinking of renting a car in Paris and driving to the track. Tickets aren't too bad, either.

I'm not sure what your plans are, but here's a link to the page for ticket prices: tix

PM me if you're thinking about it. I'm pretty sure I'd only go on race day....unless you're going, then I'd go to practice and such (I'm just not sure if my other friends will be interested, but if you're going....)

Eric
Old 01-28-2003, 07:23 PM   #9
xS1LV1Ax
Zilvia Addict

xS1LV1Ax is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to xS1LV1Ax Send a message via MSN to xS1LV1Ax
I really want to go to the USGP but the prices are rediculous and trying to find hotel up there will cost an arm and a leg. Actually my mom works for ExxonMobil Oil Corp and they had special deals for the first 2 USGP's. It was like $1500 per person, but included airfaire and hotel (4 star) for 3days/2nights....tickets to practice, qualifying and grandstand race tickets.....paddock passes...and the best of all.....Breakfast with the Mobil1 sponsored drivers (the West team i beleive) on Sat morning (includes meet and greet)..you also get some Mobil1 Racing goodies.....

I would have loved to have taken up this offer, but i didnt have 1500 to throw around. My dad and i are planning a trip to the Canadian GP in Montreal. It seems to be more of a bargian. I will ask my mom if this deal is still going on. But for now, I am happy with all the Mobil1 Racing stuff she gets......posters, backpacks, models, hats shirts...the works......