Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:36 AM   #1
bxsvx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
bxsvx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Stock redtop, need more power for lime rock?

Hello everyone, I signed up for HPDE's lime rock event on Mar 27. I was speaking to a well experienced racer friend of mine, and he was stating that I will need a good amount of torque and hp for this track.

Has anyone driven on lime rock with a stock redtop. If so how did the motor handle the changes in elevations and was the power band? Thanks

Last edited by bxsvx; 02-18-2010 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: clarity
bxsvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
bxsvx
Leaky Injector

bump....to the top
Old 02-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
no one can really find you a solution since you haven't put if you are overheating...low compression....turbo not functioning....there are too many factors to as why your car isn't "fast" in accelerating. There is more research you need to be doing in order to figure this out.

This thread is worthless....and I really didn't want to post anything...but no one else will tell you that your lack of information is your first problem....oh, and you should start in tech if there is a problem.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
bxsvx
Leaky Injector

fckillerbee, I sort of blabbed in my thread so here's what I really need to know. Has anyone driven on lime rock with a stock redtop. If so how did the motor handle the changes in elevations and was the power band sufficient? Thanks.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
there is a mathematical formula for calculating elevation changes and so forth....I don't know about this track....but you do lose power with higher elevation...unless the vehicle is tuned for that already....but if it is stock motor...at most I think you can lose 30 percent power...which is a lot.....Hope that helps you a little....

but we are talking significant changes....like from water level...to mile high stadium in denver co. not up and down woopty woos.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
bxsvx
Leaky Injector

Thanks I had a big feeling the motor would loose a lot of power.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
bxsvx
Leaky Injector

Thanks, this is exactly what I needed to know.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
bxsvx
Leaky Injector

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. Time for upgrades!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
koukimonster139
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
koukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to koukimonster139
much less O2 at higher altitudes

thats rediculously easy to understand
Old 02-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koukimonster139 View Post
much less O2 at higher altitudes

thats rediculously easy to understand
haha don't be mean...you know the brain needs oxygen too...he could be typing this from the track. lol jk...

Good luck with your power adding!
Old 02-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #11
bxsvx
Leaky Injector

koukimonster139: im' pretty sure the stoichiometric value changes at higher altitudes Im more worried about the uphill on the track not the uphill on a mountain side.

My main thing is I would like to stay in one gear, because I really don't want to downshift early to keep my momentum going uphill, when I really need to downshift at the bottom of the hill and slam on the brakes to stop myself from flying into the wall. I'm pretty sure Corvettes could run up that hill in 3rd gear and then downshift to 2nd to get full force braking.

fckillerbee thanks for your positive attitude. I am assuming people doesn't understand my question!
Old 02-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxsvx View Post
koukimonster139: im' pretty sure the stoichiometric value changes at higher altitudes Im more worried about the uphill on the track not the uphill on a mountain side.

My main thing is I would like to stay in one gear, because I really don't want to downshift early to keep my momentum going uphill, when I really need to downshift at the bottom of the hill and slam on the brakes to stop myself from flying into the wall. I'm pretty sure Corvettes could run up that hill in 3rd gear and then downshift to 2nd to get full force braking.

fckillerbee thanks for your positive attitude. I am assuming people doesn't understand my question!

You sir... need to learn how to drive. This post simply boggles my mind. A 78whp corolla could drive that track NO PROBLEM. You shouldn't even drive on that track with your obvious lack of experience driving an automobile fast. Try some Autocross and learn proper shifting/braking techniques.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #13
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I don't see the point of this thread.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #14
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I feel sorry for the instructor who's got to suffer through your first track outing with an attitude like that of "needing more power" so you "don't have to downshift."
Old 02-21-2010, 12:14 AM   #15
bxsvx
Leaky Injector

First off, no one here started driving like Schumacher, you have to build your way up which is what i'm trying to do. So to all of you stating you need to learn how to drive and etc, what the hell do you think i'm doing going to a HIGH PERFORMANCE DRIVING EVENT, to watch the stars. I'm def not racing it's an all out learning experience.

Secondly I have driven my 240 and a Automatic laggy ass tiptronic Corvette on the Pocono North course and I did 10x better than I did in the Vette than the 240, for some unknown reason. By the way my 240 isn't some stock base model off the street. It's suspension and tire setup was specifically made for tracking, and yes the redtop is stock.

Thirdly, I am going by what my race buddy recommended. This also isn't some guy who slapped some headers on a civic and started racing on I-95, he has about 25 years on the track experience. He suggested using a car with some more torque, hence the question about if I needed more power. I also have never driven or seen this course. I only have driven on the Pocono North course 3 times with the 240 one day and a C6 the other 2 days NJMP once with my vr4.

If you have nothing nice to say, stay out of my thread. I am only looking for constructive suggestions, not stupid remarks or comments.