Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #1
BirdS14

Trader Rating: (0)
BirdS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 Negative Battery Cable Arc

I FUDGED UP ?
I was repositioning my negative ground wires from the battery as they were installed pretty ''Janky'' from the previous owner. Where I messed up is I didn't disconnect the ground terminal 1st from the battery...
While I was moving the wire around it did arc a few times on the chassis. Now my car wont start. I did some initial troubleshooting but I'm no expert.
Things I've done so far;
1. Checked Fuses only found one burned- it was labeled 12V- I changed it.
2. Swapped some relays in & out that are labeled for ECM & Ignition.
3. Swapped out the ECU with a spare I had. Both the red led lights up.
4. Swapped out the Battery
5. Checked the big fuses in the engine bay. Swapped the 100amp & 75 amp.

That's as far as I've got so far. STILL NO LUCK. It just continues to turn over and crank but does not fire. All electronics light up, headlights, stereo, dash lights, etc. What else should I do or where to check next? Please Help Guys, Thank You!

Specs on car; 1995 zenki with a manual swap using a manual ecu. Ka24de engine with 136k.
BirdS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2020, 10:24 AM   #2
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did you test for spark or fuel? If it wont start it isnt getting one or both. Can you hear the fuel pump kick on and prime?
NukeKS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:52 AM   #3
BirdS14

Yesterday I did a spark test and yes I get it across all 4 plugs. As far as the pump goes I do hear it come on when the key gets turned to on before I get it to crank.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Check the black wire w red stripe to ground at the injector clips. Should be getting 12vDC. The ecu grounds them to open so if you have 12vdc, its a wiring harness or grounding issue most likely. No 12v to injectors time to pull out the EC section of the FSM and go digging
Old 04-29-2020, 08:30 PM   #5
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdS14 View Post
I FUDGED UP ?
I was repositioning my negative ground wires from the battery as they were installed pretty ''Janky'' from the previous owner. Where I messed up is I didn't disconnect the ground terminal 1st from the battery...
While I was moving the wire around it did arc a few times on the chassis. Now my car wont start. I did some initial troubleshooting but I'm no expert.
Things I've done so far;
1. Checked Fuses only found one burned- it was labeled 12V- I changed it.
2. Swapped some relays in & out that are labeled for ECM & Ignition.
3. Swapped out the ECU with a spare I had. Both the red led lights up.
4. Swapped out the Battery
5. Checked the big fuses in the engine bay. Swapped the 100amp & 75 amp.

That's as far as I've got so far. STILL NO LUCK. It just continues to turn over and crank but does not fire. All electronics light up, headlights, stereo, dash lights, etc. What else should I do or where to check next? Please Help Guys, Thank You!

Specs on car; 1995 zenki with a manual swap using a manual ecu. Ka24de engine with 136k.
This is stupidity.

"Luck" is not how you troubleshoot - why are you changing these parts out, if you don't know what they do and there's no sign they're damaged?

What terminal arced? You touched the positive to the chassis? It didn't pull power through anything, so it didn't hurt jack. If the negative arced, it was just the electronics pulling a bit to recharge caps and such.

If you can MOVE your battery wires so that they ARC, but you never REMOVED them from the battery, your terminal clamps are total shit and need to be redone tight and right, your car's not starting because your battery is hardly attached at all.

Fix the shitty nissan style plugs and fuses and shit hanging off the positive terminal.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:35 PM   #6
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post

What do you mean, won't start? You listed half the parts on the car, but you didn't describe your no-start condition, in ANY way. You didn't even say if it cranks, for instance.
He did. Read the last paragraph you quoted. He said it "continues to turn over and crank but does not fire." Then he answered that he verified spark at all 4 plugs

So thar clears CAS and distributor/coil. He also said he can hear fuel pump prime.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:36 PM   #7
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeKS14 View Post
He did. Read the last paragraph you quoted. He said it "continues to turn over and crank but does not fire." Then he answered that he verified spark at all 4 plugs

So thar clears CAS and distributor/coil. He also said he can hear fuel pump prime.
You're right, I'm quick-judging jerk. I removed a bit of that.

I got lost in his parts swap list. I maintain, it's stupidity, my stupidity doesn't change his stupidity. Look for a problem, stop replacing the car.

When you fuck up every part that was not broken, suddenly you don't know if they're still not broken, because..... ya fuckered em. Suddenly the whole car's covered in questionable parts and work, and it's a done deal... when the only problem was a loose battery terminal.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:41 PM   #8
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Weeelll.... why pay a mechanic or professional to fix it when you can spend hundreds of dollars replacing parts you read about on the internet from random people and other owners' past problems instead?

Old 04-29-2020, 09:35 PM   #9
BirdS14

It’s fixed guys. It was a fuel issue. I’m a bit OCD and saw bad wiring from the Ground terminals leading to the engine grounding point. At the same time I saw the fuel filter just hanging loose & not on the mount that’s against the strut tower. So I popped it back in the fuel filter holder. I didn’t notice that when I placed it back on there, that it kinked the hose shut and it stopped the fuel flow from getting into the engine. The previous owner put a longer hose than needed right before the inlet of the fuel filter. Which I’ll fix down the road if my OCD kicks in. Lol. Until then I’ll let the filter hang loose again. I thought I screwed up something with the engine wiring or ECU from the wire arcing...I used a can of starter fluid sprayed into the intake and it fired up. That led me to it being a fuel issue. I started at the intake manifold and went on down & boom problem found, the kinked up fuel line...
SUCH A RELIEF. Thank you fellow S chassis members for your time & effort ��
Old 04-29-2020, 10:04 PM   #10
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdS14 View Post
It?s fixed guys. It was a fuel issue. I?m a bit OCD and saw bad wiring from the Ground terminals leading to the engine grounding point. At the same time I saw the fuel filter just hanging loose & not on the mount that?s against the strut tower. So I popped it back in the fuel filter holder. I didn?t notice that when I placed it back on there, that it kinked the hose shut and it stopped the fuel flow from getting into the engine. The previous owner put a longer hose than needed right before the inlet of the fuel filter. Which I?ll fix down the road if my OCD kicks in. Lol. Until then I?ll let the filter hang loose again. I thought I screwed up something with the engine wiring or ECU from the wire arcing...I used a can of starter fluid sprayed into the intake and it fired up. That led me to it being a fuel issue. I started at the intake manifold and went on down & boom problem found, the kinked up fuel line...
SUCH A RELIEF. Thank you fellow S chassis members for your time & effort ��
I was enjoying hating you, but good on ya, that's about the best quick test to see if you have fuel (though it's worth remembering that it does not eliminate flooding as a possibility).
Old 04-30-2020, 06:12 AM   #11
BirdS14

you hurt my feelings.