Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:21 AM   #1
Dsmguy1993
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Dsmguy1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question to anyone using a B&M shifter

Hi so I just finished swapping my redtop sr into my 240sx and my car came with a b&m shifter so anyways I removed the shifter from its base to make the swap much easier and basically there is two springs and two shims now my question is do you install the shifter then the shims then the springs? or do you put the shims first then shifter then springs? Im almost positive I have it in right way just double checking
Dsmguy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2020, 11:25 AM   #2
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The shims go on top of the two shifter pins, and then the springs on top of the shims. Then the shifter plate holds them down. There should also be a sort of metal sleeve/clip that goes around the springs inside the bore.

Last edited by TheRealSy90; 04-27-2020 at 12:17 PM..
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
Dsmguy1993
Leaky Injector

Okay because I have it to where the shims sit on top of the shifter and the springs on top of the shims and when I had first removed my shifter for the first time thats how it was. I do not think the shims can go on top of the springs because if they did isnt there a risk they can fall off and into the transmission? Also it feels fine for what its worth but it does have a little bit of play possibly a bad bushing? And by metal clip you mean the metal clip that holds down the boot?? Like I said inside all I have is the two shims two springs and the shifter itself. does anyone else feel scared that the plastic bushing can possibly fall off into the transmission? perhaps a metal one would be sturdier idk
Old 04-27-2020, 11:45 AM   #4
Dsmguy1993
Leaky Injector

also fwiw the previous owner of this transmission installed this b&m shifter not me. here is a picture of it installed notice how if you look closely the shifter base has like a circular area to prevent the shims and springs from going anywhere its already molded to hold it there was no other clips or anything inside there just two shims and two springs

https://imgur.com/vFa22aa
Old 04-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmguy1993 View Post
Okay because I have it to where the shims sit on top of the shifter and the springs on top of the shims and when I had first removed my shifter for the first time thats how it was. I do not think the shims can go on top of the springs because if they did isnt there a risk they can fall off and into the transmission? Also it feels fine for what its worth but it does have a little bit of play possibly a bad bushing? And by metal clip you mean the metal clip that holds down the boot?? Like I said inside all I have is the two shims two springs and the shifter itself. does anyone else feel scared that the plastic bushing can possibly fall off into the transmission? perhaps a metal one would be sturdier idk
My bad, I did have it backwards. Also in that photo you can see the black metal clips inside the spring bores that i was talking about.
So yeah shims on top of the shifter side pins and then springs on top.
The nylon bushing should not easily come off of the shifter rod. These are commonly replaced with either a new nylon bushing or aftermarket brass bushing.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:38 PM   #6
Dsmguy1993
Leaky Injector

Okay sweet sweet well in that case I guess I am good to go although I really do want to take it off one more time to redo the bushing only thing that im concerned about is stripping those small screws I use a t25 bit to remove them and that works well. Do you have any tips on removing the old nylon bushing? And if it did come off would there be any dead giveaways without removing the shifter and actually seeing?
Old 04-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #7
Dsmguy1993
Leaky Injector

Also thank you for the help i really appreciate this! This is why i love zilvia and online car forums I can find the answer to almost anything within hours even.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:28 PM   #8
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

If the shift rod bushing came of there would be a TON of slop in all directions and possibly wouldn't be able to get it in all gears either. When I replace those bushings I usually just pop it off with pliers or something, no worry about breaking it if you're replacing it.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:16 AM   #9
Dsmguy1993
Leaky Injector

Very informative thank you for the information!