Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-23-2021, 06:31 PM   #1
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
Anyone tried the new(ish) Tanabe Revel coilovers?

Just curious thoughts or impressions, specifically for drifting? Very little info over their 2 years of release. Revel is under the Tanabe umbrella, and there was a time when Tanabe coilovers were among the "holy grail" of coilovers in the early / mid 00s.

Last edited by DRIFTER-M; 04-28-2021 at 07:39 AM..
DRIFTER-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Pretty much nothing out there. Found two videos. I couldn't make it through either and I suspect neither actually have anything useful to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GygDZEiNa7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niBQ6OZymxc

Promo Video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7tN9vjAUo8

So based on the specs (32 way, mono tube) and the price, $1,100 - sounds like generic label added coil-overs coming from the dragon land. I wouldn't expect these to be any different then Megan, K-sport, etc.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:10 PM   #3
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Build quality of these are identical to Blitz Damper ZZ-R, which are made by BC in Taiwan.

Distributor for Nismo, ORC, and discontinued genuine Nissan parts.

Authorized dealer for Oakley -- PM me for the best prices!

[email protected]
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:19 PM   #4
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Build quality of these are identical to Blitz Damper ZZ-R, which are made by BC in Taiwan.
Now is that good... or bad?
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:02 AM   #5
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Triggered!!!!!!!!!

They are cheaper, entry level coilovers. That doesn't mean they are bad. Lots of people run Taiwan coilovers (including myself) and don't have any issues with them. Are they 3k+ KW's or Arogasta's or DG-5's? No. But they're 1k bucks, you can't really complain too much. Personally, I'd just go with BC. I spoke to a rep at a race once and he was super helpful, had a good attitude (something I've noticed that is common with guys I've spoken to who work for that company) and let me know about all their ability to build a custom setup to what you're doing. Trying to do all of that with a company in Japan is doable, but a little bit more difficult. Rebuilds are done in the US, and they keep almost all the parts in stock.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:41 AM   #6
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Pretty much nothing out there. Found two videos. I couldn't make it through either and I suspect neither actually have anything useful to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GygDZEiNa7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niBQ6OZymxc

Promo Video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7tN9vjAUo8

So based on the specs (32 way, mono tube) and the price, $1,100 - sounds like generic label added coil-overs coming from the dragon land. I wouldn't expect these to be any different then Megan, K-sport, etc.
Quote:
I actually called Tanabe USA and was in fact told they were made in Taiwan. They just have not, IMO, done a great job of marketing them. Tanabe name carries weight, but they don't seem to swing these around as much as they should. The marketing makes it sound like these are on par with Tein Flex Z, not actually made for drifting / performance and just daily. But the specs seem to indicate they are the same as, you guys suggested, many of the popular Taiwan drifting coilovers.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:54 AM   #7
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTER-M View Post
I actually called Tanabe USA and was in fact told they were made in Taiwan. They just have not, IMO, done a great job of marketing them. Tanabe name carries weight, but they don't seem to swing these around as much as they should. The marketing makes it sound like these are on par with Tein Flex Z, not actually made for drifting / performance and just daily. But the specs seem to indicate they are the same as, you guys suggested, many of the popular Taiwan drifting coilovers.
Just like parts out of Japan, don't be stuck on a brand name.

Megan used to source from Taiwan exclusively, now their higher end stuff is out of Taiwan and lower end stuff is China.

Tein's low end lines are all "made in Japan" but they reduce their cost by having all the parts made in their factory in Shanghai.

Everyone else in Japan and the world all play the same exchange rate game. Buying out of Taiwan is popular because BC does OEM for a lot of companies customized to their specs, and they only invoice you in USD, so there's no fluctuations in pricing.

It's like head gaskets. Most people don't even know that the head gaskets sold out of Japan under $150 MSRP are not made in Japan, they just keep buying "JDM"

[email protected]
Old 04-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #8
economix
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
economix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:

Tein's low end lines are all "made in Japan" but they reduce their cost by having all the parts made in their factory in Shanghai.

It's like head gaskets. Most people don't even know that the head gaskets sold out of Japan under $150 MSRP are not made in Japan, they just keep buying "JDM"
Thanks dude, I'm over here looking at my new "Made in Japan" Tein Coils and my Tomei MHG like they're step children now LOL
Old 04-28-2021, 07:34 PM   #9
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Yes. Garbage. Buy BC's instead, cheaper and they will ride better.
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:04 PM   #10
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by economix View Post
Thanks dude, I'm over here looking at my new "Made in Japan" Tein Coils and my Tomei MHG like they're step children now LOL
Tomei head gaskets are made by Siruda in Taiwan, have been for 10+ years.

[email protected]