Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
JaeTea
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
JaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JaeTea
Exclamation Steering keeps going off center

My steering wheel was a little off center to the right. Went to a drift event and steering wheel was even MORE off center at the end of the day.

Went and had the car aligned and the steering wheel was centered (it was a few mm's off to the right). Went a drift event and now the steering wheel is off centered to the right again.

Not sure how the hell this keeps happening. The car drives straight but the steering wheel keeps ending up off center.
JaeTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
alesserfate
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
alesserfate is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
steering column spline bolt loose ? swap your rack recently ? if so maybe forgot to tighten that shit ? hit any curbs or run off on the track ? that will do it too. steering hub bolt loose ?

alesserfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
DJPimpFlex
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (115)
DJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond reputeDJPimpFlex has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 115 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJPimpFlex Send a message via MSN to DJPimpFlex
Probably steering rack bushings letting the rack slide. Pretty common on S-Chassis cars.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
JaeTea
Zilvia Addict

JaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPimpFlex View Post
Probably steering rack bushings letting the rack slide. Pretty common on S-Chassis cars.
I swapped to new ES rack bushings and that's kinda when the problems started.

I had to remove the steering wheel off the hub then reattach it because it was so far off center. So then I had the rack centered, cause the turns from left to right weren't equal.

Then I had the rack centered again when I went for the second alignment.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
alesserfate
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
alesserfate is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTea View Post
Then I had the rack centered again when I went for the second alignment.
I would check the bolts on the steering column ujoint, maybe the shop stripped them or didn't tighten them to spec, who knows, people make mistakes, try and tighten them yourself, accessible from under the car.

alesserfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPimpFlex View Post
YEA!

Same thing happened to me and GUESS WHAT I have the yanack aluminum bushings! They wore out somehow I guess and now the rack moves ALOT urgh so gay and it cost like 80 bux... I got some polyurethane bushings on the way from es energy urgh gay...

I am in on the group buy for the manual steering rack on nicoclub, it'll be a solid bushingless design so no more of this bs!
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
sil80 monster
BANNED

Trader Rating: (5)
sil80 monster is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Sorry i couldn't be of any help but just noticed your signature! KILLTHENOISE!
sil80 monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
Wabash9000
Zilvia Member

Wabash9000 has a little shameless behavior in the past
yeah sounds like the rack is sliding in the bushings. I wonder if there would be a way to weld a plate on to the outside of the bushings on both sides to keep the rack from moving.
Wabash9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:52 AM   #9
JaeTea
Zilvia Addict

Wait..so this has nothing to do with the alignment going out of wack??

And is there any way to fix this issue cause its annoying as all hell.

Last edited by JaeTea; 08-29-2010 at 09:07 AM..
Old 08-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Just as a tip, the steering rack is one place you DON'T want to lubricate Polyurethane bushings. You want it to bind up. Make sure you spray the bushing slots with brake clean and wipe them down. Then check and see if you have any oil or other leaks onto the rack.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
JaeTea
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Just as a tip, the steering rack is one place you DON'T want to lubricate Polyurethane bushings. You want it to bind up. Make sure you spray the bushing slots with brake clean and wipe them down. Then check and see if you have any oil or other leaks onto the rack.
I actually have an small oil leak from my drain plug that I need to get rewelded at some point...and now with the skid plate I have installed the oil just collects under the steering rack instead of just dripping right to the ground.

Is there any way to recenter the rack or do I have to get another alignment?
Old 08-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Also check to be sure you have the right ES bushings...

S14 racks are slightly smaller in diameter so they require a larger diameter bushing than the S13s.

If you are using a s14 rack with s13 bushings the rack will be loose.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
JaeTea
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
Also check to be sure you have the right ES bushings...
Its an S13 rack with S13 bushings.

Got the car up on jacks..cleaned the steering rack. U bolts holding bushings are as tight as they will go.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #14
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
The rack moving left/right isn't going to change your toe, so you shouldn't have to get another alignment.

As long as the rack is near center, and pointing straight, you should be golden.

But if your rack wasn't centered when you got your alignment, you might want to redo it.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
JaeTea
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
The rack moving left/right isn't going to change your toe, so you shouldn't have to get another alignment.

As long as the rack is near center, and pointing straight, you should be golden.
So how does one go about centering the rack?

Last edited by JaeTea; 08-29-2010 at 06:00 PM..
Old 07-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #16
JaeTea
Zilvia Addict

I'm bumping this cause my stupid steering wheel did this again this weekend. Went off track, steering wheel out of alignment.

Car will drive straight when the steering is misaligned.

Could the splines on the rack be too worn down?
Old 10-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #17
AHall

AHall is a jewel in the roughAHall is a jewel in the roughAHall is a jewel in the roughAHall is a jewel in the roughAHall is a jewel in the roughAHall is a jewel in the roughAHall is a jewel in the rough
I had this same problem. The car would shift in such a way that the steering wheel would shift 10 degrees while turning. Then when I would hit a bump, turn back in the opposite direction or come to a stop it would shift back. I first replaced the steering rack and pinion purchased new rack bushings from Nissan. The problem was still there. I tightened the bushing brackets as tight as I could with breaking or stripping something and the problem easstill there. Then I noticed the bearing in the front strut mount on the passenger side was broken when I removed the cap and saw the strut retaining screw was off center. So I replaced the strut mount and struts on both sides. The problem was still there. Then I inspected the steering rack coupler tightened it and marked it so I could see if it was moving. It was not moving and the problem was still there. I then raised the car and grabbed the wheels at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and moved pushed and pulled and there was movement. I saw on a video somewhere this was a possible cause and an indicator of bad ball joints on the lower control arm. I replaced the control arms on both sides and the problem is gone. I hope this helps someone. It took me months and a lot of unnecessary repairs to find the cause.
AHall is offline   Reply With Quote