Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-28-2020, 10:49 PM   #1
kTrainHurricane
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
kTrainHurricane is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nismo Coppermix Clutch - Single or Dual?

Trying to decide which clutch to go with, and would love some input / opinions. I have an S14 with an SR20det + bolt-ons. Right now the car makes around 275 whp, and I don’t really have plans of significantly increasing power anytime soon.

Currently, I have a twin-disc that was installed by the previous owner. It’s exhausting to drive and I feel it’s overkill. I wanted to change the clutch and decided I’m going with a Nismo Coppermix, but can’t decide if I should go single, or dual for ~$500 more.

From what I’ve read, the Coppermix dual doesn’t actually feel like a dual at all. Apparently it’s not much different than stock. I understand that the dual is geared for higher HP cars, but if I’m going through the hassle of changing the clutch anyway, and it should be much easier to live with than my current twin-disc, should I just go for it? Or is it a totally unnecessary waste of $500?
kTrainHurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #2
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
High end dual disc clutches like Nismo, OsGiken, and ORC have a lighter pedal feel than a single disc clutch of the same torque rating.

Since a dual disc doesn't cost that much more i'd recommend investing in it. The Nismo twin coppermix is one of the most popular clutches there is.
Look into the OsGiken TS2BD as well.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:48 AM   #3
kTrainHurricane
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
High end dual disc clutches like Nismo, OsGiken, and ORC have a lighter pedal feel than a single disc clutch of the same torque rating.

Since a dual disc doesn't cost that much more i'd recommend investing in it. The Nismo twin coppermix is one of the most popular clutches there is.
Look into the OsGiken TS2BD as well.
Thanks for the input / suggestion!

I?ve seen a few threads talking about the Nismo clutch in Z cars, but none in S cars...not that it probably makes much of a difference 🤷*♂️
Old 03-30-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
My ONLY gripe with the JDM duals (Nismo, Giken, etc) is the distinct twin jingle. With how the center drive and floater plates operate, it sounds like a can of marbles.

Apart from that, drivabiloty is better than any high capacity single plate. However, the single plates have gotten MUCH closer to drivability and have ZERO sound (Spec stage 3+, Spec Stage 3, CM FX500, etc)
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Depending on the person the ringle jingle of a twin disc floater is a selling point lol.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:03 PM   #6
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Depending on the person the ringle jingle of a twin disc floater is a selling point lol.
+1 for broken car noise is a good thing. not kidding.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #7
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Watching some older MCM ( well, the good builds that 'skid factory' does) I saw they used mantic clutches which have some anti-rattle springs. Compelling.

I have an OSG twin on the shelf that I'm going to put in and my biggest reservation is the jingle...

Last edited by e1_griego; 03-30-2020 at 05:17 PM..
e1_griego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #8
kTrainHurricane
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
+1 for broken car noise is a good thing. not kidding.
Audible baller status, amiright? 😎
Old 03-30-2020, 04:40 PM   #9
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrainhurricane View Post
audible baller status, amiright? 😎
my broken clutch noise brings all the boys to the yard, and they're like boi you jdm as fuck.

Quote:
Old 03-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #10
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Just realized the OP doesnt want much than 300.

If that's the case, skip the expensive nismo and get the 6 puck white bunny. It will support "500"hp and drive better than stock. And it's only 394....

Dont waste your money on a twin...
Old 03-30-2020, 05:54 PM   #11
kTrainHurricane
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Just realized the OP doesnt want much than 300.

If that's the case, skip the expensive nismo and get the 6 puck white bunny. It will support "500"hp and drive better than stock. And it's only 394....

Dont waste your money on a twin...
Thanks for the input!

I wouldn?t say I ?don?t want? more than 300...that?s just about what the car is making now, and I don?t plan on doing any power mods soon because there are other things I want to take care of first.

I was thinking of going the cheaper route because I figured that any twin was unnecessary, but I was also thinking of ?future-proofing? and didn?t want to be caught wanting to / needing to upgrade the clutch again in 2 years.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #12
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Yeah the white bunny will handle any bolt on short of a full power build. I wish the flywheel was lighter
However at the price point, it's up there in my top 3 clutches for a simple build

I've been through a bunch and currently have a ATS twin carbon carbon "baller" clutch so yeah. Been there lol
Old 03-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #13
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Keep in mind a twin plate clutch will also be slightly easier on the drivetrain.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:31 PM   #14
Jbma327
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (51)
Jbma327 is just really niceJbma327 is just really niceJbma327 is just really niceJbma327 is just really niceJbma327 is just really niceJbma327 is just really niceJbma327 is just really niceJbma327 is just really niceJbma327 is just really niceJbma327 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 51 reviews
I've had used many clutches for customers and my personal sr20det builds. The Nismo Coppermix is the best feeling clutch if you ask me. Add on a Nismo Slave, and steel braid hose and it will feel even better. Light at the pedal, perfect weight, and can take a beating.

My personal daily sr had 376whp and this clutch held up the best compared to other's I've used.

Pro: pedal is slightly firmer than a stock clutch, pedal travel is slightly shorter than stock, no noise, perfect weight (not too light so you won't lose torque) , and soft engagement (great for daily).

I would continue using this clutch on my new set up. But afraid it won't hold. Going to with a twin disc Nismo with my new set up.

*Make sure your using a Factory Nissan or Made In Japan clutch master, or you pedal travel will not feel right*
Old 03-31-2020, 07:52 PM   #15
kTrainHurricane
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbma327 View Post
I've had used many clutches for customers and my personal sr20det builds. The Nismo Coppermix is the best feeling clutch if you ask me. Add on a Nismo Slave, and steel braid hose and it will feel even better. Light at the pedal, perfect weight, and can take a beating.

My personal daily sr had 376whp and this clutch held up the best compared to other's I've used.

Pro: pedal is slightly firmer than a stock clutch, pedal travel is slightly shorter than stock, no noise, perfect weight (not too light so you won't lose torque) , and soft engagement (great for daily).

I would continue using this clutch on my new set up. But afraid it won't hold. Going to with a twin disc Nismo with my new set up.

*Make sure your using a Factory Nissan or Made In Japan clutch master, or you pedal travel will not feel right*
Thanks for the info! Just to clarify - are you talking about the single or the dual Coppermix?
Old 04-01-2020, 09:11 AM   #16
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kTrainHurricane View Post
Thanks for the info! Just to clarify - are you talking about the single or the dual Coppermix?
He has a single coppermix now and is going to upgrade to a twin.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:21 PM   #17
brndck
Premium Member

I had a single coppermix and it was def extremely easy to drive
felt like a stock clutch, smooth engagement, easy pedal feel.
I was only about 275-280whp, and it held up just fine.

Quote:
Old 04-01-2020, 02:04 PM   #18
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

I really wouldn't waste your money on a coppermix for a simple build. Get the white bunny 6 puck, don't look back. Its cheap....meets and exceeds your needs.....and is readily available. The flywheel is a little heavy for my taste, but it just downright works
Old 04-01-2020, 03:18 PM   #19
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Its 2020.

I wouldn't run a 4-cylinder without a twin plate after 2020.
jingle jingle all the way I say
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote