Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
touge_monster86

Trader Rating: (0)
touge_monster86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ka24e Limp mode issue !! Please help!!

I know there are other threads addressing similar issues, but non of them the solutions fixed problem . My engine starts up and runs fine until it reaches operating temp, then it goes into limp mode . I have tried replacing the MAF, evaluating the MAF connector and dealing ecu's at no avail. The only other issue the car has is the digital dash goes in and out "another issue I am chasing around" but I am not sure that would cause limp mode . Also I put an additive in the fuel system to help it pass smog , I have done that in the past and it never gave me an issue before. Bottom line is I am running out of ideas . I could really use some help
touge_monster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2019, 06:47 AM   #2
K_never_broke_again
Leaky Injector

K_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura about
i would try a new coolant temp sensor, it sounds like that might be your issue. make sure when you get it that you’re getting the right one, i’m not sure about ka but for sr there’s a different temp sensors for the dash and ecu. in this case you’d want the ecu sensor.
K_never_broke_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
cjtk421

cjtk421 is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay thank you. I will give this a shot

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk
cjtk421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
zer0c123

zer0c123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is the maf oem? If used, have you tested it on a different car to ensure it works? Aftermarket ones are hit and miss.

When the car goes into limp, start jiggling and bend electrical wires and see if the engine reacts. Start with the maf, coolant temp , throttle position sensor connections and work your way back to where they combine into the harness near the fuel injectors.
zer0c123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:08 PM   #5
cjtk421

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0c123 View Post
Is the maf oem? If used, have you tested it on a different car to ensure it works? Aftermarket ones are hit and miss.

When the car goes into limp, start jiggling and bend electrical wires and see if the engine reacts. Start with the maf, coolant temp , throttle position sensor connections and work your way back to where they combine into the harness near the fuel injectors.
So the MAF is a factory refurbished unit . I tested it with a volt meter and everything seems in order . I also stripped down the plug to check for any wiring/connector issues, and everything is in order there as well . I started the car and messed with the wires and connectors but it had no reaction . One thing it does do , is when I disconnect the MAF it does not idle better, in fact it dose not idle at all it just shuts down completely .

I will start working my way back from the MAF to the fire wall and see if anything is a miss.

I will update , and if anyone has any more suggestions please let me know .

Old 11-30-2019, 04:40 PM   #6
cjtk421

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_never_broke_again View Post
i would try a new coolant temp sensor, it sounds like that might be your issue. make sure when you get it that you’re getting the right one, i’m not sure about ka but for sr there’s a different temp sensors for the dash and ecu. in this case you’d want the ecu sensor.
Changed the coolant temp sensor . Seemed to have fixed it because it was able to drive for longer before the problem started again . Couple new finds , when I turn the car of and start it up again it will not be in limp mode any more . Also when I mess with the idle air control valve connector the engine gets really fucky . Could iacv cause limp mode ?

Old 11-30-2019, 05:32 PM   #7
K_never_broke_again
Leaky Injector

K_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura about
ok so just to clear things up, it runs for longer with the new sensor, but still eventually goes into limp mode? and when you say you can turn it off and on again and it wont be in limp mode, does it stay out of limp mode for the rest of the drive? Also you said it dies when the MAF is unplugged, this seems weird because normally an unplugged MAF would be the cause of limp mode. not sure but the weird iacv behavior could be causing this. another idea, this is speculation but you might have a vacuum leak, although i don't see how this would cause limp mode only when the engine is warm. You mentioned in the op that your dash lights come on and off, are there any other weird electrical issues? The more information you can provide the easier it'll be to fix the problem. any sort of weird stuff thats happening would be good to know about
Old 11-30-2019, 05:49 PM   #8
cjtk421

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_never_broke_again View Post
ok so just to clear things up, it runs for longer with the new sensor, but still eventually goes into limp mode? and when you say you can turn it off and on again and it wont be in limp mode, does it stay out of limp mode for the rest of the drive? Also you said it dies when the MAF is unplugged, this seems weird because normally an unplugged MAF would be the cause of limp mode. not sure but the weird iacv behavior could be causing this. another idea, this is speculation but you might have a vacuum leak, although i don't see how this would cause limp mode only when the engine is warm. You mentioned in the op that your dash lights come on and off, are there any other weird electrical issues? The more information you can provide the easier it'll be to fix the problem. any sort of weird stuff thats happening would be good to know about
Yes . My driver's side headlight keeps popping it's fuse . And that's everything

Old 12-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #9
K_never_broke_again
Leaky Injector

alright well i've exhausted my supply of useful information a while ago, but I think your best bet at this point is to fix everything that you think might be messed up, and see if that changes anything. ive noticed from my own experience as well as from other threads that electrical issues can cause a lot of other seemly unrelated problems, so i would start by fixing the fuse and dash light issue. I would also see whats up w that iacv, maybe clean it and fix the connector to it. one last thing, I think you should reset your ecu as you put the new coolant temp sensor in. Im pretty sure all you need to do is disconnect you battery for a few hours, but look it up just to be sure. if its not on here nico will probably have the answer. if you fix it or anything else pops up you should update the thread. These don't have much value if the solution is never posted lol. good luck!
Old 12-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
cjtk421

Will do brother . Thank you!