Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #121
GalmTeam

Trader Rating: (0)
GalmTeam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke View Post
Yea I used the stock lines that were on the motor, it does smoke on decel and I'm going through oil like a maybe 2 quarts a week, if I don't go into boost or the highway it seems fine , do u have an idea of what restrictor size I'd need , I don't have a oil pressure gauge so I don't now what its putting out, or if this smoke is maybe valve seals now
You shouldn't need an oil restrictor but given that your car is smoking black clouds you might need one or your car could be running really rich. You should really have an oil pressure gauge, because then it would be a lot easier to narrow down if you need a restrictor or not.

-Take off the intake and check for leaks near the front/compressor of the turbo
-run your hand around the outside front and back of the turbo and see if there is any oil residue

Usually a .08 or .065" restrictor is used on JB turbos. General guideline for Garrett turbos are .06 for non ball bearing and .035 for ball bearing turbos.
I would start with a .08 and see if it helps.

Now the bigger issue is your oil line. The oil feed line on *your* motor is it a hard line that twists around, like the small, middle one in the picture:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...9/IMG_2054.jpg

If it looks like the picture one then that line already *should* have a restrictor in one of the banjo bolts.

If your oil line looks different then there probably isnt a restrictor in place.
GalmTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #122
Myke

Myke is an unknown quantity at this point
Ill have to check in the morning, I did see oil on the cold side of the turbo but was told its normal as with shaft play because of this turbo, it dosent smoke at idle just under load when stopping, its not huge plums but enought to kno its there and stinks, I can't upload video cause this iPhone sucks but I will figure it out cause pics and videos help more then words. I don't think its cause of the turbo but I can't think why else it would do this, as for someone who said this might be why the first one popped. This car was beat to shit when I got it as a daily drift car,and was thrown together, I fixed everything I could and replaced the turbo, I was told theres no breakin period for the turbo so two weeks later it hit the dyno . The car pulls insanely hard and it does spool quick, not like it did with the blown neo turbo but it does , I'm not bashing pure turbos in anyway as Charles has been very helpful, but I'm a little upset that still no return phone call which is why I haven't sent it back yet to have them test whats going on with it.
Myke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:29 AM   #123
Myke

I also did a compression check and got 150 and 1 149 on all 6, as for a leak down I read that can't check valve seats or seals, like I said it smokes daily but not on idle which leads meto believe its not turbo related. Maybe something else until I can see where its coming from or puddling up in, I'm also the only one in my area who has this motor so everyone I kno has no answer but the worst case senerio type .
Old 04-17-2013, 01:34 AM   #124
bussitcustoms
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
bussitcustoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It smokes under load (ie, in boost) and you DONT think its turbo related? Howd you come to that?
bussitcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #125
Myke

Idk I'm on the thruway and my friend told me he can see and smell oil, but it don't look like anything to me and I can't smell anything until I slow down or take my foot off the gas, forgive me if wrong on this but maybe it is from that. Its hard to not no anyone that can help me so its all Internet for me to find answers. I'm not playing dumb so please no one take it that way but I'm trying to learn this as I go. The car runs fine minus the smoke and putting oil in weekly, but I shouldnt be doing this I kno with a new turbo,? My question is why didnt they tell me or send a restrictor for this turbo? Idk, why haven't they answer these post or called back? Idk. What I did find out is the oil could be coming from the drivers side rear of the motor so it could be somehow leaking down the side into the turbo or some shit and seeping into the exhust and turbo somehow
Old 04-17-2013, 01:47 AM   #126
Myke

It may be leaking from the half moon shits
Old 04-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #127
GalmTeam

Quote:
Idk I'm on the thruway and my friend told me he can see and smell oil, but it don't look like anything to me and I can't smell anything until I slow down or take my foot off the gas, forgive me if wrong on this but maybe it is from that. Its hard to not no anyone that can help me so its all Internet for me to find answers. I'm not playing dumb so please no one take it that way but I'm trying to learn this as I go. The car runs fine minus the smoke and putting oil in weekly, but I shouldnt be doing this I kno with a new turbo,? My question is why didnt they tell me or send a restrictor for this turbo? Idk, why haven't they answer these post or called back? Idk. What I did find out is the oil could be coming from the drivers side rear of the motor so it could be somehow leaking down the side into the turbo or some shit and seeping into the exhust and turbo somehow
It's a journal bearing turbo so usually they don't need a restrictor and won't send you one. Garrett Turbos being the only exception where they will have one built into the turbo. But then again Garrett always goes above and beyond for their customers.

However if you had an oil pressure gauge and you knew what your cold start, warm, WOT oil pressure was then they would be able to tell if you needed a restrictor or not when you ordered the turbo. Turbos companies don't want to be liable if you blow the turbo or your engine because of install issues. In any case it's very bad on their part they haven't contacted you. DId you call them again?

besides on their sales ad they state:
Note: Many RB oil feed lines have a built in restrictor
which must be replaced with a standard -4 oil feed line.

So just be aware they may use that as a way to write off liability in case the turbo was flooded with oil (or starved from oil).

Post some pics of the turbo installed on the car if you can

Quote:
It may be leaking from the half moon shits
You might have small pile of oil on the floor when the car is parked. My skyline was leaking from the halfmoons for a while and it would leave small puddle when parked.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #128
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
time for a holset!!
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #129
StryfeS13
It's Always Broken.

Trader Rating: (14)
StryfeS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Where is Pure Turbos at on the situation?
Gotta love Zilvia.
StryfeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #130
Myke

Ok I checked my oil feed line and its the long one u pictured not the small one, as far as oil pressure gauge I will be ordering one ASAP. If gale team can send me an email address I can send pics and videos that way, for some stupid reason I can't make a YouTube account cause I don't remember my yahoo password so google won't work either, I appreciate the comments that are coming in and like I said, I'm new to this
Old 04-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #131
Myke

As for the half moon shits yea the driver side above the turbo is the one leaking,
Old 04-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #132
Myke

One more thing is it to late to put this -4 in and were do u get them from. Is this a size ud recommend?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #133
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
One more thing is it to late to put this -4 in and were do u get them from. Is this a size ud recommend?
The way i read the ad, you need to remove the oil restrictor if there is one, not add it, but i could be wrong.

So yes, if you really have a restrictor and you needed to remove it, it is already too late. But i would not be so sure ... a starved turbo would have died faster than that i think. Remember how that thing is spinning at 150.000rpm and uses oil the same way your crank does: they need pressure so the axle stays floating on the bearings. No pressure = axle grinding on bearings, then developping play, and at 150.000rpm ... it DOES serious and fast damage.

Oil smoke issues now ... if you dont have a proper breathing system, your turbo will burn oil as there will be more pressure in the crank case than in the turbo housings; thus oil will go where there is less pressure, usually through the exhaust housing seal, making smoke, instead of going to the crank case.

This is a major problem though. It does not look like, but a pressurized crankcase means oil does not return there easily and can puddle in the head, leading to starvation. If you have never cleaned the breather system, it would be a good idea to do it. I know the CA18 has a nasty 90° brass bend that gets clogged, but i dont know if the rb25 also suffers from that kind of flaw. Check it.

I had a smoking problem on a 7mgte (mark 3 turbo supra), but this one was due to a cracked valve seat. It did burn a lot of oil though, before it starved the engine to death. This was discovered while rebuilding. It could have happened, but it is a bit unlikely.

Last usual cause of oil smoking is worn valve seals. The engine would smoke when down shifting, when vacuum is at its maximum.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #134
GalmTeam

Quote:
-4AN is just a braided oil line.
I agree with Croustibat basically you should remove the restrictor which is usually on the banjo bolt that connects the oil line from the turbo to the RB25. The stock line itself is big enough it's just the connector. Whoever installed the turbo for you can tell you if they replaced the bolt or not. Or if you installed it yourself did you re-use the bolt?
BUt as Croustibat said if its still running the restrictor, pretty sure the turbo would be starved by now.

Are you running a catch can? or was the breather system changed or re-routed on your RB25?

I sent you PM btw, so check your inbox, Myke
Old 04-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #135
singlecamslam
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
singlecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymoresinglecamslam is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
This may or may not be relevant. But is your car smoking on acceleration or on decel? If on decel then i'm pretty sure its your turbo, i didnt feel like reading all that.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #136
dftsilvia
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
dftsilvia is on the path to ruindftsilvia is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
hey myke i recall about 5-6 ppl in your direct area having rb engines.
dftsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #137
Myke

Dftsilvia, I now own rjs old 240,so this is the car I'm talking about.as far as banjo bolts yes I reused the ones I had. I was not informed about switching anything because the company told me this was a stock direct swap. And to just get it tuned because it sucks more air. I don't have a catch can on because it only has two ports on top and no breather, one thing I did today was took the maf tube off the turbo, oil puddles inside. The turbo had hardly any, it has a tad side to side shaft play but absolutly no in and out, the only thing I can think of is oil is either coming from my blow off valve thru that pipe and into the maf tube orrrrr the driver side valve cover hose that goes into the intake tube is bringing oil into the turbo and spewing its hot ass ness out my pipe idk. If I can run that catch can it will eliminate the valve covers from going any were near the turbo area
Old 04-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #138
Esoxlucios

Esoxlucios is an unknown quantity at this point
See latest posts at VWVortex.com - upgrade GT2860RRS to HTA billet wheel on APR Stage 3+ for my ongoing experience with PureTurbos.

Sean
Esoxlucios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #139
Myke

Damn so I'm not the only one? Fuckin scammers, so basically I gave them my rb25 turbo for this rb20 turbo, they kept my hks waste gate for this gaudy big stock thing in return and now they won't call or responed? And I had 2 of my friends about to get turbos from them, this sucks, talk about makin easy money of a newbie.guess there suckered me
Old 04-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #140
Myke

Good I'm gonna send my car somewhere and send them the bill lol... Serioulsy tho thats fucked up my shits all banging around and I felt like I blew it up. When that shit prolly just took out my whole motor
Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #141
Esoxlucios

Esoxlucios is an unknown quantity at this point
I just updated the VWvortex post with add'l info.
Esoxlucios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #142
Myke

So now I gotta spend more money to find out if indeed its either seals, the turbo itself or something else? I gotta take a deep breath and relax I'm sick to my stomach lol, I'm gonna vent for a bit and then post all my symptoms and see if someone may be able to point me in the right direction. I kno everyone has opinions so it makes it a bit difficult to follow so apperently zilvia gives more conseren about helping someone then a company.... Nice
Old 04-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #143
GalmTeam

Quote:
Damn so I'm not the only one? Fuckin scammers, so basically I gave them my rb25 turbo for this rb20 turbo, they kept my hks waste gate for this gaudy big stock thing in return and now they won't call or responed? And I had 2 of my friends about to get turbos from them, this sucks, talk about makin easy money of a newbie.guess there suckered me
wtf!? they kept your hks wastegate. That's a nice wastegate they should of return that to you with the turbo. THat wastegate is heaps better than the stock one.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #144
Myke

Yes they did and ur the one who sent ur email correct? If so ill send u pics of my old rb25 neo turbo , my new turbo and the dyno video and maybe u could pin point me in a good direction to go as to why its smoking. I just spent heaps on the turbo and parts plus the tune just to maybe have it blowing smoke all over again
Old 04-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #145
GalmTeam

Quote:
Yes they did and ur the one who sent ur email correct? If so ill send u pics of my old rb25 neo turbo , my new turbo and the dyno video and maybe u could pin point me in a good direction to go as to why its smoking. I just spent heaps on the turbo and parts plus the tune just to maybe have it blowing smoke all over again
YEah that was me. Send it my way and we'll see what we have.
Quite disappointing about pure turbos; even the EVO and VW guys are affected. It's disheartening with you spend all that time and money and you find out stuff wont work.

At this point it might be better to pull out that Turbo and put in a stocker and see how the car reacts. If the car was fine before the turbo and now it's running all crappy then...most likely the turbo is the cause. On one my skylines i had small puddle of oil in the intake, but i also had slightly high oil pressure especially at WOT. So i put in a restrictor and it worked fine. But in your case if you're using the stock line WITH the restrictor in there..then it could be the seals on the turbo are gone as well. Check the bolts around the compressor and exhaust housing...see if they are loose or even if they were torqued correctly?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #146
Myke

Ok one last time. The run down, car smoke on decel and when flooring it, its not huge plums like before when I had a blown turbo, it does not smoke on idle, I don't have a pressure gauge as of yet. The muffler tip is a chalky black soot. Pulled the maf tube off the turbo and there was oil( enough to cover my finger) now one tube runs from the valve cover to the maf tube and another goes from blow off to maf tube. Is there a possibility the turbo is fine because there's little side to side play which I was told is normal for this turbo and absolutly no in and out shaft play, I'm thinking it is something like this, oil is going from the valve cover thru that tube and into the maf tube and being thrown thru the turbo resulting in smoke? I kno it could possibly be my valve seals and or turbo from all these other posts. If I figure a way to put my non vented catch can and block off whatever intake ports is there a chance this is just a fluke? I'm really lost here and everyone's input has been taken graciously
Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #147
Myke

And galmteam thats the thing the car is awsome and fast as hell which boggles me as to what it is, as far as the smoking the car runs wonderful
Old 04-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #148
Myke

Also were would the restrictor be in the line? I put the banjo bolts that I had back in and they just looked like screws with a hole in the side, there is no leaking of oil or coolant from the ins or outs, ill send the video I sent pure turbos also, cause u can heard rattling in my down pipe.... Which is very strange
Old 04-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #149
GalmTeam

Quote:
Also were would the restrictor be in the line? I put the banjo bolts that I had back in and they just looked like screws with a hole in the side, there is no leaking of oil or coolant from the ins or outs, ill send the video I sent pure turbos also, cause u can heard rattling in my down pipe.... Which is very strange
Rattling could be the wastegate flapper hitting the downpipe.

the restrictor is built right into that bolt thing. If you were to compare both of them you would see that one has a bigger hole. On my car the one bolt going into the turbo was smaller.

check this:

bolt with restrictor:
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/m/mG59...3kKA7Q/140.jpg

normal/or NO restrictor:
http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/m/mnzq...PrUA0Q/140.jpg
Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #150
Myke

Oh shit , is it possible i put the feed banjo bolt in the drain side and vise versa?