Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #241
Choku_Dorian
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Choku_Dorian is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
this is rad.

I am running almost identical setup, with enthalpy tune. just the s4 cams...
Choku_Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #242
Blacklines86
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (32)
Blacklines86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Thanks for answering my questions, I appreciate it. I went back and looked at the first page, and I saw that it was already stated the setup included an external wastegate. After reading the 8 pages in this thread, I must have forgot.

What is your opinion of knife edging the crank? There is a service called "butcher crank" that does this, and takes 7 lbs. off in the process. Would this be beneficial to this setup, or is it too much material to take off? Would a less aggressive knife edge and a balance be better?

Assuming one were to do the agressive knife edging, how would additional lightening of the drive train affect preformance, such as lightened flywheel, carbon or aluminum drive shaft, etc?

Im aware of the rotational mass discussion, but the arguments go back and forth, so I'm not sure what to believe about this issue.

Any thought or opinions?

Last edited by Blacklines86; 06-16-2010 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: none
Blacklines86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #243
2fast4y0u
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore2fast4y0u is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
i can say this from a user point of view...i HATE my fidanza flywheel. weighs 8 lbs and it is the worst part i have ever bought for my car, hands down

i know u r gonna ask why, so i will tell u now. hard to street drive, replaceable faces sounds like a great thing...SUCKS! they r to thing and they heat up fast and get all spotty. that makes it eve worse to drive. Fidanza doesnt stock that part and they make it to order, so getting them is never easy.
just my $.02
2fast4y0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #244
Blacklines86
Zilvia Junkie

Actually, thats exactly the type of feedback I am looking for. People that have experience with using these kind of parts, and not just talking out of thier ass.

Lots of opinions, but little experience.

Thanks man.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #245
mattsil80wis
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
mattsil80wis is making a name for him/her selfmattsil80wis is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i run a lightened flywheel and an aluminum drive shaft and i dont really mind driving it....i am running a JWT 11lb flywheel, but i like it

i have no experience with changing the crank shaft....the idea is great and makes sense, but than you have to take into consideration how it changes the rest of the rotation assembly...as in getting it balanced and everything else....is the price of doing all that really worth the benefits of a few hp?...i cant imagine it being that great
mattsil80wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #246
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
I wouldn't worry about doing any sort of exotic bottom end work, this side of a race car. I mean that's not to mean it 'will hurt' it's just not needed for any street oriented car.

I'd also say save that money and focus on keeping the rest of a car in good shape - I'd sooner save that money and put it towards larger brakes or upgraded tires instead of the 5-6 whp you may see.

Edit: While I do appreciate good questions, lets try to keep this discussion about the rom tunes, no so much individual setups. I'll be glad to answer PM's and also suggest you places for other information as well. Remember the best 'answer' involves the best research - no single person has the best information on everything.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #247
Blacklines86
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Edit: While I do appreciate good questions, lets try to keep this discussion about the rom tunes, no so much individual setups. I'll be glad to answer PM's and also suggest you places for other information as well. Remember the best 'answer' involves the best research - no single person has the best information on everything.

I understand the reason you started this thread, and I apologize for cluttering it with off topic questions. Unforunately, I bring nothing to the table discussing rom tunes.

However, I was looking for clarification about the way you have your engine and drivetrain built. I think you have a very solid map to a 400hp street machine, and I respect your knowledge.

In the future I will keep to the topic, and stick to PM's for off topic material.

Thanks for your answers, I appreciate it.